What's new

Official TYM UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Discussion

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Any other UFC fans here? MMA is one of my favorite sports in the world, and I am absolutely stoked to watch one of the greatest fighters of all time, Anderson Silva, destroy Stephen Bonnar tonight.

Don't get me wrong -- I love VG fighting too.. But there's something about a real-life contest that is totally captivating to watch.

For those of you who dig MMA: who are your favorite fighters? Most hated fighters? Favorite fights? Stop hiding out and show yourselves! :)

And if anyone else is watching UFC 153, come to TYM Chat so we can discuss it.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Any other UFC fans here? UFC is one of my favorite sports in the world, and I am absolutely stoked to watch one of the greatest fighters of all time, Anderson Silva, destroy Stephen Bonnar tonight.

Don't get me wrong -- I love VG fighting too.. But there's something about a real-life contest that is totally captivating to watch.

For those of you who dig MMA: who are your favorite fighters? Most hated fighters? Favorite fights? Stop hiding out and show yourselves! :)
Most Hated Fighters = These paper champs who defend twice a year. I'll cut GSP a slackburger because he's beast mode, but there's no excuse to only defend once every six months while everyone else in the division sits on their thumbs. Carlos Condit for example wins the interim 19 years ago (or so it seems), defend that belt you p.o.s! Top fighters are getting far too much bargaining leeway nowadays.

Hypest fighter is Rhonda Rousey.

Favorite all-time fight would probably be Bonnar v Griffin.

Hope Bonnar gets the upset tonight tbh, Silva's a douche. ;)

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Silva's a douche? Lmao pls
C'mon, taunting opponents you're vastly superior to isn't a douche move? LOL

To be fair, he does do some upstanding stuff, but he's a cocky mofo. Same with Jones, you don't see it exhibited anymore because Dana cracked down on that behavior. Look @ how Jones behaves today compared to when he started. Two different personalities. Not taking anything away from their fighting ability.

Heh, why do I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn in to Sherdog? Ooooooof

CRUM

Noob

To be fair, he does do some upstanding stuff, but he's a cocky mofo. Same with Jones, you don't see it exhibited anymore because Dana cracked down on that behavior. Look @ how Jones behaves today compared to when he started. Two different personalities. Not taking anything away from their fighting ability.

Heh, why do I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn in to Sherdog? Ooooooof
Jones wasn't cocky when he started, if anything he's more cocky now.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Hypest fighter is Rhonda Rousey.

Favorite all-time fight would probably be Bonnar v Griffin.
You sir, are an alright guy :)

Forrest Griffin. That is all.
Forrest WAS all.. Until Anderson erased his win streak and tapdanced all over him -- he hasn't been the same since. Haha. Still love his personality though. His postfight interviews are always priceless.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If I won 99% of the fights I fought, was regarded as the best fighter in the world, AND was rich and famous for fighting... I'd be just a little cocky too. His attitude honestly get into his opponents head, or at least it seems that way. When someone you're fighting is treating you like a peasant, it fucks with you.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well, that was free. I mean, it's not like anyone expected Anderson to lose, but damn, can anyone hang with the spider??

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Maaan... This was a wild card. And Anderson Silva is still the baddest thing in any ring, anywhere. Crazy.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Forrest Griffin. That is all.
can I thank this post a billion times? Forrest had an INCREDIBLE career. He beat shogun coming right off his win of the pride grand prix(i won 6 jagerbombs that night that i really didnt expect to win and it fucked me lol) but ya.. top 5 UFC fighters fa sho.

Hemlock

Noob
Hey there, big MMA enthusiast here but I don't actually watch matches really. I trained for 6 months last year doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai and loved it; only stopped because my sensei moved away to finish his black belt and have yet to find another training center as awesome.

My favorite MMA fighter is Mayhem Miller. I stumbled upon the Bully Beatdown program before I got involved in martial arts and really enjoyed the program. I began to really respect Miller, especially after seeing how violence was never the answer for him. Being a really non-violent person, I could really identify with that mindset and philosophy.

I watched his Ultimate Fighter program where he coached a team, and I really liked most everyone on his team (except the one traitor guy). I was sad he lost his two matches and is no longer fighting. He's had some weird drama and other issues, but I hope to see him fight again. I still believe in him! I also hope to get back into training in the next year.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.

Anderson's taunting is simply a part of his strategy. Anderson is a counter-striker. What does taunting accomplish? It makes the opponent get aggressive. When Anderson keeps his hands low, he is inviting you to try to hit him. At that point he knows he will out speed you and he knows he will crush you. He does it to pretty much everybody after the first 2 minutes or so. This is why Sonnen had the most success against Anderson, he did not bullshit around with striking and kept pushing the pace not allowing Anderson to get comfortable.

Anderson's striking is the best in MMA, but what makes him so special is his ability to capitalize on mistakes and his intelligence. He has the best killer instinct in MMA, you make 1 mistake against him and you are done.

Btw UFC 153 was tight. Great card, I think Rony Jason has tons of potential, and Fitch for once in his life had an exciting fight outside of getting beat up by GSP and KTFO by Hendricks. Big Nog winning was probably the best moment though

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
WWWAAAAANNNNDEEEERRRRRRLLEEEEEEEIIIIII SSSSIIIIIIILLLVAAAAA!!! Destroyed everyone in his Pride days. Most exciting fighter ever.

I really like Lyoto Machida too. As someone who has studied karate I am just in complete awe of his skill.

I have an MMA club at my city too now since I moved 2 years ago to study here , I went there for a couple of months, but I just kinda dropped it after 2011 spring, getting PS3 in the fall of 2o11 and on and off training with kettlebells and too much videogames. I love sports and videogames, but the 2 just don't mix as hobbies very well. If I train, I train everyday or not at all and then I don't have the time to play PS3.

CRUM

Noob
LOL at Mayhem being someone's favorite fighter. Dude is a jackass who got beat by Bisping and CB Dolloway before getting cut. A few months later he was arrested for breaking into a church and also being nude. Then he goes on the MMA Hour and acts like a complete douche bag. He cannot get out of his own way. He belongs on Bully Beatdown.

Albo

Noob
Hella hyped for TUF 17 with Jones and Sonnen as coaches (airs January, finale in April). This probably means more of a chance of the GSP v Silva superfight happening if GSP wins next month that is.

Say what you will about Sonnen and whether he deserves this opportunity but there's no doubt this series will be entertaining with his inclusion, even though Jones will have the clear advantage come fight night as always, Chael's style could give him problems. Its MMA, anything could happen.

coolwhip

Noob
I don't see how Chael's style can give Jones problems. What is he gonna do, go in there and try to double leg him from halfway across the cage? Jones' reach means Chael will have a horrible time getting on the inside, and even if he does, what's he going to do, clinch with Jones and push him against the fence? I'd love to see how that ends for him.

As far as them coaching on The Ultimate Fighter, it will likely be entertaining for the first couple of episodes before it gets stale. That show has overstayed its welcome anyway, and there is little the UFC can do to save it.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
I started watching around the time Brock Lesnar had his first match with Frank Mir. My first main event was Cruz/Faber II, I really loved that fight and Cruz's fighting style so I ended up getting hooked and watching full time.

I can't wait to see Carwin knock Roy Nelson's block off. >.>

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Imo TUF 17 is lame. I understand that TUF is getting old and Sonnen as a coach will bring in viewers, but Sonnen does not deserve a title shot at all.

Chael is coming off of a loss, hasn't fought at LHW in years and has a LOSING record at LHW in the UFC. At least Vitor was a late replacement and at least he was on some sort of winning streak.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I started watching around the time Brock Lesnar had his first match with Frank Mir. My first main event was Cruz/Faber II, I really loved that fight and Cruz's fighting style so I ended up getting hooked and watching full time.
Cruz is dope.. Can't wait to see him back in the cage again. It's been a crazy year for injuries, but it'll be great to have Jose Aldo, Dominick, GSP, Rashad, etc. back in action again.

And Nogueira squeaked out another win :) Whaddayaknow