What's new

Mortal Kombat X Tournament Standard Concerns by Perfect Legend

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
The variations we see now could change before the game comes out, we have a year till it's out and we can play.

But, even if it's "it adds this move instead of that one" or "adds armor to certain moves instead of increases damage" it's still a change. The specifics don't matter because Cassie's variations aren't the same as Sub-Zero's. They change specific things per character so, again, why is it too early to decide if winner has to keep variation?

haketh

Noob
But, even if it's "it adds this move instead of that one" or "adds armor to certain moves instead of increases damage" it's still a change. The specifics don't matter because Cassie's variations aren't the same as Sub-Zero's. They change specific things per character, again, why is it too early to decide if winner has to keep variation?
Sigh you're not getting it.

Anyway someone tell me why MKX has to be different from all the other games that do similar things outside of "WE WANNA BE DIFFERENT".

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
idk about doing a blind pick because of character variations. You can see which character you're getting in every other FG, why not know what variation you're playing against in MKX?

Interactables, we'll see. Personally I'm not a fan but I tolerated them in IGAU (and I say this as a Zod/MMH player [I only win because of them]). They look like they could potentially not be that great in MKX but we will have to have a logical and coherent conversation about it as a community. Tall order for TYM, I know, but I believe we can do it.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Sigh you're not getting it.

Anyway someone tell me why MKX has to be different from all the other games that do similar things outside of "WE WANNA BE DIFFERENT".

No I'm not and you're not doing a great job of explaining why would should wait beyond "we'll have the game and know what every variation does". No matter what variations actually change we know that variation A is not the same as B nor C so why is it too early to discuss that if a person wins with A they should have to stick with A or they can change to B/C?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
That makes this unnecessarily complicated though lol. Especially if they decide go back and re-select. Adding this new feature would make it much easier.
Not sure what you mean.. In MK9 you couldn't go back and reselect -- they just showed a random character until the fight started.

Counterpicking is a viable offline strategy and people should be allowed to do it online as well, unless you explicitly opt out by using hidden select.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
discussing deeply this at this point, without the game hasn't come out yet, seems pointless and void .... I mean we don't have even a demo to test and make comparison between the supposed "different" versions of each character .... :eek:

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Not sure what you mean.. In MK9 you couldn't go back and reselect -- they just showed a random character until the fight started.

Counterpicking is a viable offline strategy and people should be allowed to do it online as well, unless you explicitly opt out by using hidden select.
Its viable offline at a tournament setting. Its annoying for casuals.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Ive seen the big dude flip off the wall so they all can

didn't you want them band in INJ like a month ago too?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
If there is a hidden select on variation, why not let the winner switch (character lock)? Cause right now it could theoretically be like I win round one with Broodmother (D'vorrah) so you switch to Grandmaster (Sub-zero) and beat me because it's now a better MU in your favor. Now you are locked in and I switch to Venomous which makes it better in my favor, then I win the set (assuming we are doing 2/3) because I won first.

That's all assuming the styles make that big of a difference. A character lock at least avoids fucking the winner for round two, and the loser has an idea of what the winner could pick. Maybe enforce it as winner must pick his new variation first? Let's be real, no one wants to see this turn into a counter picking heavy game

BRUTALITY

Banned
Character lock the winner only

they put the variations in the game for a reason, if people are dedicated enough to learn how to play them all, let them defend themselves with a variation considering the opponent loser might hard counter with a true bad match up character pick

cyke_out

Noob
Every other game allows winner to keep the original character but they are able to switch up whatever option the game gives them. MKX should be no different.

Interactables and stage variety is no different than 3d games where stages with ring outs, walls, or infinite offers different tactics and gives certain characters advantages on certain stages. Those games don't ban particular stages and uses random everytime for stage selection. MKX should not be any different.

Again, stop trying to rewrite tournament rules, especially when other games have set a precedent that works.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
It's good to talk about this NOW rather than waiting until the game comes out and then reading thread after thread about how interactables are stupid and should of been banned in the first place, but then nothing happens anyway.

No one is saying anything should be set in stone. He gave some general concerns given the information that we all have right now. Nothing wrong with discussing it and "giving a comment". Nothing said here is going to be a final decision.

I think a way to handle it could be one of two things:

1) Winner is character and variation lock (the simple go to standard)
2) Winner is character and variation locked as long as the loser stays with the same character (variation change for loser doesn't affect this). If loser changes characters (potentially counterpicking), Winner is still character locked, however can change variation.

haketh

Noob

2) Winner is character and variation locked as long as the loser stays with the same character (variation change for loser doesn't affect this). If loser changes characters (potentially counterpicking), Winner is still character locked, however can change variation.
aThat'sa needlessly complicated.

Don't know why you guys wanan rock the boat when theirs established rules for this and precedent from other games -_-

Hitoshura

Head Cage
@Perfect Legend I agree with having the interactbles turned off for competitive play. I wasn't here for the Injustice scene, but I was told certain character were able to abuse the interactbles in certain ways that made them unfair, while others had to rely on them if they wanted to win any games at all. All interactbles are essentially items that are used to get the upper hand against your opponent. The only other fighting game I know of that has items is Super Smash Bros., and they turn them off for competitive play. Fighting games in a competitive scene are done to see who is the better player. This means that skill must be involved in order to best your opponent, and not stage gimmicks, or items. So, with that being said, having interactbles turned off would be beneficial for the NRS scene.

Now on the subject of random selecting character types. That doesn't fly well with me, and possibly a lot of people. Having variations of move sets one gets to choose for their character adds a level of depth to the character itself. This is done in Melty Blood, which all characters have different play styles and moves depending on what "Moon Phase" you choose with that character. Now, not all the "Moon Phases" are viable. Some are bland, while others just don't work. You can also compare the character variation in MKX to Arcana Heart, where one can choose an Arcana for their character and it adds different moves and changes their play style. Some characters will have variations that are better than others, or just one viable variation. This is something that gives the game a different type of depth. It's something new to the MK series and I honestly think it needs to experimented with.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Winner is character and variation locked as long as the loser stays with the same character (variation change for loser doesn't affect this). If loser changes characters (potentially counterpicking), Winner is still character locked, however can change variation.
This seems the most logical for me. In tournament I'd prefer this to discourage counter picking.

cyke_out

Noob
@Perfect Legend I agree with having the interactbles turned off for competitive play. I wasn't here for the Injustice scene, but I was told certain character were able to abuse the interactbles in certain ways that made them unfair, while others had to rely on them if they wanted to win any games at all. All interactbles are essentially items that are used to get the upper hand against your opponent. The only other fighting game I know of that has items is Super Smash Bros., and they turn them off for competitive play. Fighting games in a competitive scene are done to see who is the better player. This means that skill must be involved in order to best your opponent, and not stage gimmicks, or items. So, with that being said, having interactbles turned off would be beneficial for the NRS scene.
Items in smash are dropped randomly. Interactables are set for each stage. Again, it's no different then tekken or soul caliber. In those games a stage can play a huge part of the match. Aeon is a beast on a small stage with ring outs but without ring outs he suffers while some characters like nightmare are killer with walls or characters with good keep away and dashes are a pain to fight on infinite stages. The point is those games have stages that can alter match ups, but it's part of the game and works perfectly fine.

Maxter

Noob

Nice post bro!!! Number 2 should be the option to go, if the losing player keeps the same character but change variation the winner player should be variation locked, But if the losing player is Counter Picking with another character who could possibly counter attack all the winner's character Universal Moves and Variations, it will be fair for the winner to change variations at least if Character counter picking occurred, I know there will be some nasty counter-picking because a Losing Player have the option to not just pick a character that wins the match easier but also will counter use variations to make his win way easier.

But let's wait until the game comes out first and have leaders in the community decide the most reasonable standard rules for this, BTW interractables shouldn't be turned off, GTFOH, they are already blockable and could affect how the game is played =) Just block them as oyu normally block projectiles or special moves =)