What's new

Mortal Kombat X Tournament Standard Concerns by Perfect Legend

Rantè Inferno

Thought u were a warrior?
I'm pretty certain that what will end up happening is: Once you go to HIDDEN SELECT that it SHOULD hide BOTH the character AND VARIATION by DEFAULT. Hopefully...

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Why is this such a concern? In tournament, is there a rule during the first match about who picks first so you can then counterpick against them? If so, my point won't matter. If not, how is this any different?

If I pick Hellfire Scorpion and lose to Cryomancer Sub Zero, I can pick a new variation or a new character completely match 2. The winner would need to stick to Cryomancer Sub Zero until they lose. I think character and variation should be locked on a win. Anything goes for the loser.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
The two tournament standards concerns that are discussed in this video pertain to both counter-picking (with the character variations) and also the stage interactables or "leveraging" as they are calling it in Mortal Kombat X. In this video are a few thoughts and concerns I have that I want to put out there and see if you all feel the same.

The game has a long way to come before we get our hands on it, but these are topics we should start discussing to prepare ourselves.

right now it looks like all interactables are used the same way by all characters. but i think that interactables should be on by default then loser can pick the stage or whether interactables are on or off

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Fuck this. This website just went full retard. Here are my thoughts. Ill make a thread later so it can be front paged as well. Why the hell is this being discussed and promoted. The game is a year and a half away. Leave it to guys who run tournaments. Not those looking for something to bitch about when they lose . Or looking to dodge having to play a bad mu. Jesus. Pick your character, play the match. I just saved you a year and a half of bitching.

E

Eldriken

Fuck this. This website just went full retard. Here are my thoughts. Ill make a thread later so it can be front paged as well. Why the hell is this being discussed and promoted. The game is a year and a half away. Leave it to guys who run tournaments. Not those looking for something to bitch about when they lose . Or looking to dodge having to play a bad mu. Jesus. Pick your character, play the match. I just saved you a year and a half of bitching.

Waiting we see what the full changes are gonna be.

I'm firmly on the side of allowing variation switch but before I go full concrete on any side I wanna see what happens before the game comes out.
different variation = different moveset = different character

It should be known now you have to keep your variation if you win, because its a different character. It's no different than any other game. This becomes a matchup chess game and i like it. If you get counter-picked and lose then adapt and/or find your own variation. I don't think this is that debatable and i think this rewards people who adapt to matchups quickly and learn matchups.

its not a fucking ultra change, its an entirely different moveset

i'd blind pick the 1st character but you should be forced to keep your variation. the stage picking will be interesting it will obviously change some matchups to a degree maybe not as severe as injustice. I say we do random stages.

Last edited:

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Haha, I'm sorry but, the logo on PL's shirt (The FN) looks like I'm being flashed by a dude with an orange trench coat. CANNOT UNSEE.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I just watched the video. Here are my notes:
1- Showing off medals and trophies
2- He thinks people can change character variation between rounds
3- Waah interactables

My own opinion: All these aren't real issues. The only tournament issue that I see worth debating is character lock vs variation lock.
THANK YOU.

Frontpaged on TYM: "Perfect Legend lets fart rip on stream--see the full 12 minute video discussing these implications."

Should PL watch his diet more closely? Should farts be banned at tournaments? Should the opponent be allowed 1 "counter fart"? Should farts be nerfed by requiring mandatory Lysol spray at gaming stations?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
even by just watching the demo's...... not every variation changes the character's normals, and only adds removes a few key things.

Plus we'd have counterpicking HELL since 3 variations x all the characters.

yeesh.

MKx tournies lasting like 9 hours.

even by just watching the demo's...... not every variation changes the character's normals, and only adds removes a few key things.

Plus we'd have counterpicking HELL since 3 variations x all the characters.

yeesh.

MKx tournies lasting like 9 hours.
counterpicking hell, maybe, i'm thinking that there will be an oligarchy of single classes just like any other game.

btw in an ideal world everyone would proudly showoff their medals and people would just suck it up and not be jealous, you would be like, good for you self-actualized.

haketh

Noob

It should be known now you have to keep your variation if you win, because its a different character. It's no different than any other game. This becomes a matchup chess game and i like it. If you get counter-picked and lose then adapt and/or find your own variation. I don't think this is that debatable and i think this rewards people who adapt to matchups quickly and learn matchups.

its not a fucking ultra change, its an entirely different moveset

i'd blind pick the 1st character but you should be forced to keep your variation. the stage picking will be interesting it will obviously change some matchups to a degree maybe not as severe as injustice. I say we do random stages.
I'm gettimg tired of bringimg this piunt up

OTHER GAMES WITH VARATOION ALLOW SWITCHING FOR WINNER, MKX IS NOT A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE THAT HAS CREATEDTHIS MECHANIC.

or maybe *gasp* it'll be balanced enough that 4-6 is the worst of the worst and people will just grind it out

no?

bueler?

anyone??

:(
white is a 6-4 matchup in chess, the number of variables in a fighting game especially how much they are changing Mortal Kombat X, leads me to believe overtime some classes will be advantageous.

I'm gettimg tired of bringimg this piunt up

OTHER GAMES WITH VARATOION ALLOW SWITCHING FOR WINNER, MKX IS NOT A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE THAT HAS CREATEDTHIS MECHANIC.
its an ultra change, not a fucking change to the entire moveset and style of play

haketh

Noob
its an ultra change, not a fucking change to the entire moveset and style of play
Ah man you really don't pay attention

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SFIV, MELTY BLOOD AND ARCANA HEART CHANGE A HELL OF ALOT MORE THAN MKX VARATIONS FROM WHAT WE'VE SEEN AND SWITCHING IS ALLOWED. MKX IS NOT A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE AND IF YOU HAD ANT KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE FGC YOU'D KNOW SWITCHING VARATIONS IN GAMES WITH THEM HAD ALWAYS BEEN ALLOWED EXCEPT IN LAST BLADE 2 CUZ GAME IS DUMB.

Ah man you really don't pay attention

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SFIV, MELTY BLOOD AND ARCANA HEART CHANGE A HELL OF ALOT MORE THAN MKX VARATIONS FROM WHAT WE'VE SEEN AND SWITCHING IS ALLOWED. MKX IS NOT A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE AND IF YOU HAD ANT KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE FGC YOU'D KNOW SWITCHING VARATIONS IN GAMES WITH THEM HAD ALWAYS BEEN ALLOWED EXCEPT IN LAST BLADE 2 CUZ GAME IS DUMB.
yeah but melty blood is for nerds, noone cares about nerds

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
ha...I so hope this game has invisible cursor back again. That would royally piss some people off, but hell I'd use it online or otherwise tournament.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

Leaving it to the people that ran the tournament lead to confusion with stage selection in Injustice. I think the character variation stuff is worth hashing out ASAP, so many other things like the way interactibles work and crap like that can wait.

cyke_out

Noob
yeah but melty blood is for nerds, noone cares about nerds
Says the guy posting on an Internet forum about video games.

It doesn't matter what your opinion of those games, and for the record I have never played them either, but they have set the precedent for allowing the winner to switch up thier characters style. Other than your disdain for those games, can you give a reasonable explanation why mkx deserved a different ruling?