What's new

Mortal Kombat X Tournament Standard Concerns by Perfect Legend

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
We sat on interactibles/stage selection for Injustice and everyone bitched for weeks and we still didn't get the rules universal on stage select until NRS released the double random patch. Getting this stuffed hashed out early is fine. It's not like people are saying "x looks broken, let's ban them" or "that stage seemed to slow down the console, let's ban it". This is a feature we know of that will not change, for the most part, from now until the game is released so let's get our thoughts out there before people start bitching for weeks about character lock vs. variation lock.

never even thought of this... with these character variations there might be even more bad matchups in theory, which means there will be a lot more counterpicking.

But variations won't completely change a match up. If might make it easier/harder, but at the end of the day you're still fighting the same character. If a Ryu picks denjin to deal with someone who is really bad at parrying, but still is worse at neutral game, it shouldn't matter. There's too little information on variations to comment any deeper, but I doubt it will make that much of a difference.

I do agree with being able to blind pick them during a match by having them mapped out to buttons like KOF does for team order.
i'd think subzero having an ice clone or not having an ice clone is a big deal.

trufenix

bye felicia
We sat on interactibles/stage selection for Injustice and everyone bitched for weeks and we still didn't get the rules universal on stage select until NRS released the double random patch. Getting this stuffed hashed out early is fine. It's not like people are saying "x looks broken, let's ban them" or "that stage seemed to slow down the console, let's ban it". This is a feature we know of that will not change, for the most part, from now until the game is released so let's get our thoughts out there before people start bitching for weeks about character lock vs. variation lock.
There's being prepared and then there's so early no one even knows what all the buttons do. There is no comparison.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
As far as stages go I see no issue...there are no transitions... everyone can block...and there are no classes, everyone uses everything the same
So they fixed my 3 biggest issues in IGAU

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This is simple.

1. Stage rule like Injustice - random or double random every time
2. Every character variation is it's own character so blind pick the first game then let's say if you win with Scorpion A, you must keep it no matter what your opponent picks after that until you lose.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
There's being prepared and then there's so early no one even knows what all the buttons do. There is no comparison.

At what point do we decide to talk about variations? A month before release? After? 2 months before? The discussion will hardly change a week before release and now in terms of variations as we know variations change characters moves so switching them could be seen as "switching characters".

haketh

Noob
At what point do we decide to talk about variations? A month before release? After? 2 months before? The discussion will hardly change a week before release and now in terms of variations as we know variations change characters moves so switching them could be seen as "switching characters".
When we actually ahve the game would be a good start seeing how to many people trying to give input have never played games with similar mechanics before let alone know enough about FGs to give input.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
In meltyblood if you win, you must stick with your character, but you can switch moons if you feel like it would help you in the counter pick.

In 3s, you have to stick with your character, but you can switch supers if you feel the need to.

In KOF, you must stick with the same team, but you can switch the order if you are counter picked.

Just saying.

Last edited:

PTG Slayer

Behold! The GOD of War!
@Those saying it's too early- I kinda think this is the PERFECT time to begin debate about this. The game is still in development, and who knows, someone that might have strong connections to the game balancing process might see this and say "That's a good point, let's do something about it"

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
When we actually ahve the game would be a good start seeing how to many people trying to give input have never played games with similar mechanics before let alone know enough about FGs to give input.

Once the game is in people's hands we will have weeks, if not longer, of people trying to decide if we should allow for variation switching on wins. This will cause confusion in tournaments like the stage selection of Injustice and people complaining. We need practically no additional information to discuss if winner can switch variations or not because we already know they provide changes to a character. We need practically no addition information to discuss if hidden select for character/variations should be used. What's 10 months gonna change? Are variations gonna go away? If they change ANYTHING about a character other than pure aesthetics then people can argue it's not the same character. Again, what does waiting change?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I hope online they do what SF4 does and doesnt show you who your opponent picked until its too late to go back. I dont care about counterpicking that much but its just annoying and wastes time

haketh

Noob
Once the game is in people's hands we will have weeks, if not longer, of people trying to decide if we should allow for variation switching on wins. This will cause confusion in tournaments like the stage selection of Injustice and people complaining. We need practically no additional information to discuss if winner can switch variations or not because we already know they provide changes to a character. We need practically no addition information to discuss if hidden select for character/variations should be used. What's 10 months gonna change? Are variations gonna go away? If they change ANYTHING about a character other than pure aesthetics then people can argue it's not the same character. Again, what does waiting change?
Waiting we see what the full changes are gonna be.

I'm firmly on the side of allowing variation switch but before I go full concrete on any side I wanna see what happens before the game comes out.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Waiting we see what the full changes are gonna be.

I'm firmly on the side of allowing variation switch but before I go full concrete on any side I wanna see what happens before the game comes out.

Why would we need to see that? Ferra/Torr has a variation that increases damage and another that adds moves. Why do we need to see every character variation's moveset to decide if winner has to keep them or not? They change things about the character, what more needs to be known?

haketh

Noob
Why would we need to see that? Ferra/Torr has a variation that increases damage and another that adds moves. Why do we need to see every character variation's moveset to decide if winner has to keep them or not? They change things about the character, what more needs to be known?
The variations we see now could change before the game comes out, we have a year till it's out and we can play.