What's new

Mortal Kombat X Tournament Standard Concerns by Perfect Legend

E

Eldriken

People still thing calling someone a nerd is a bad thing?

We're all nerds if we're here and when we're playing games.

It's not derogatory anymore. Jeesh.

Variation lock is fine. We don't know ANYTHING about balance yet, so going on about hypothetical worries is pointless at this time. Counterpicking is fine within reason, and I'd personally like to see variants actually getting use, or even multiple characters by single players if possible(not forced). This will all depend on how well they do balancing the game, which we really can't guess. Going by previous games....eh? I mean if you're on this site you probably feel it was at least passable, although god knows there's room for improvement.

As for interactables- again balance issues on a game we haven't played yet. I don't care about injustice for the sake of this. They are now blockable, they are now mostly for movement, and they now cost stamina to use. These are the only things we actually KNOW about the system, and that's different enough from injustice for me to want to judge it as it stands. Not come in with preconceived notions because they fucked up. MK9 was a significant enough jump in quality from Armageddon that i'm willing to have some faith in NRS actually trying to balance these things, not just throw them in for gimmick appeal, and I think they're well aware of some of the problems injustice interactables had(which is evident by the changes we already know about). If they fucking suck...oh well, we can turn them off(unless they do something really silly and don't allow that). I see no point in debating it now. Especially given that it could be balanced around and add some decent depth to the characters.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Variation is the same as an ultra in street fighter, jesus christ I just solved your problem.

But it's not as easy as that. A more apt comparison would be "Ryu's variation A is Ryu and Ryu's variation B is Ken".

Edit: Then you have stuff like Marvel that doesn't allow a change of assist/order. It's something I think is well worth discussing no matter the time, I'd just prefer we get this rule sorted out so there's no confusion/complaining.

Last edited:

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
But it's not as easy as that. A more apt comparison would be "Ryu's variation A is Ryu and Ryu's variation B is Ken".

Edit: Then you have stuff like Marvel that doesn't allow a change of assist/order. It's something I think is well worth discussing no matter the time, I'd just prefer we get this rule sorted out so there's no confusion/complaining.
ryus variation b would be ae 2012 now

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
ryus variation b would be ae 2012 now

That's fine, it still doesn't change that these are selectable changes to characters, which we know are in the game, so waiting a month before or 10 months before doesn't change the question: choosing a different variation means changes to your character, should winner be allowed free reign when it comes to this, a restriction, or complete lock? Knowing more about the game won't change this question so I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed as early as possible.

Also, do they use edition selection in USFIV tourneys? If so do they allow winner to switch between matches?

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
That's fine, it still doesn't change that these are selectable changes to characters, which we know are in the game, so waiting a month before or 10 months before doesn't change the question: choosing a different variation means changes to your character, should winner be allowed free reign when it comes to this, a restriction, or complete lock? Knowing more about the game won't change this question so I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed as early as possible.

Also, do they use edition selection in USFIV tourneys? If so do they allow winner to switch between matches?
Edition select is not allowed in MAIN USF4 tournaments. I capitalized main because there may be side tournaments with them last I heard from TOs discussing it on SRK and such.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Exactly, and it has all chances to get worse from there.
If anything we've seen so far is anything to go by, variations of the "same" character may differ as much as Flash and Raven from IGAU.
I certainly can see where mr. Aquaman and others who advocate variation lock are coming from.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
im under the impression that blink pick also includes what groove you pick as well. you should just blind pick and do both.