What's new

General/Other - Kung Jin Kung Jin General Discussion Thread

Tweedy

Noob
I just started using Kung Jin. I've hit a wall, or an ice clone. lol

I'm having trouble vs GM Sub Zero. Any tips? I main Scorpion, so normally I can just teleport behind SZ when he uses the clone. I'm struggling without it.

EOTL

I just started using Kung Jin. I've hit a wall, or an ice clone. lol

I'm having trouble vs GM Sub Zero. Any tips? I main Scorpion, so normally I can just teleport behind SZ when he uses the clone. I'm struggling without it.
1. The staff is disjointed and has no hurtbox. Moves like f2 and d/b4 can go through the clone, without freezing Kung Jin and hit subzero or force him to block which now dissolves the ice clone. You can also jump in 2 to make sub zero block and the clone will dissapear.
2. Ice Clone has a cooldown. The earlier you destroy it the more time you have before sub zero can summon another one. So if you know what he's about to do summon a clone is neutral you can arrow it and sub has like a 5(?) second cooldown before he can clone again. Even if it dissapears on its own, after the Sub nerfs their is still a small cooldown.

3. If he is cancelling strings into clone, they are normally punishable by reversal armor moves (individual testing required), so in Kung Jin's Case MB Bow Sing in Bojutsu or Flying Kick Universally. MB Cartwheel probably wouldn't punish but would break the clone and leave you safe. The main exception to this I believe is f4~EXclone.

4. Stand mid screen and do nothing. Sub Zero has no scary and mid range until he runs past his clone. Block Ice ball and Klone toss can be MB Flying Kick'd on reaction.

Tweedy

Noob
The points about the cooldown and the clone dissolving when he gets hit or blocks will help a lot, thanks.

I use Bojutsu btw. The EX Bo Swing definitely does work.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Would an Ancestral discussion thread be necessary do you reckon? I'd like to get one going so we can discuss it inside out :) I've only started looking at it more lately but I want to see what's been collected and whatnot.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
Ok I know it's really early for this but does anyone know anyway around predator set ups or corner traps or just predator in general

HanSolo

Noob
Would an Ancestral discussion thread be necessary do you reckon? I'd like to get one going so we can discuss it inside out :) I've only started looking at it more lately but I want to see what's been collected and whatnot.
Please do, I'm new to kj but ancestral has a lot of appeal to me and info is limited on him.

is it just me or does KJ's neutral jump 2 miss from time to time even when it does actually hit?
also where would you guys place KJ currently on the tier list?

MetalBender

Nerf everything forever
is it just me or does KJ's neutral jump 2 miss from time to time even when it does actually hit?
also where would you guys place KJ currently on the tier list?
Neutral jump 2 doesn't have a hit box right next to Kung Jin so it'll look like you hit them but if they're too close it wiffs. And I'd probably put him like mid-upper tier, maybe like top 10 or just below that

How do I deal with Armored moves?

Was playing a bunch this weekend with a Goro player and his EX Punch Walk was getting me every time. Can't remember his it's just the Wakeup EX Punch Walk that has armor or the regular EX Punch Walk as well, but I had trouble figuring out how to break it in time. It was definitely my own fault for being close enough for him to get away with it. Was being too aggressive and should have backed off after the 100th time he hit me with it. I eventually stayed full screen-ish away on knockdown and would shoot arrows, thinking I could use EX Arrows to break his armor if he used it since it's 2 hits. Am I right in that assumption?

MetalBender

Nerf everything forever
How do I deal with Armored moves?

Was playing a bunch this weekend with a Goro player and his EX Punch Walk was getting me every time. Can't remember his it's just the Wakeup EX Punch Walk that has armor or the regular EX Punch Walk as well, but I had trouble figuring out how to break it in time. It was definitely my own fault for being close enough for him to get away with it. Was being too aggressive and should have backed off after the 100th time he hit me with it. I eventually stayed full screen-ish away on knockdown and would shoot arrows, thinking I could use EX Arrows to break his armor if he used it since it's 2 hits. Am I right in that assumption?
So the reason you're having trouble with that move specifically is probably because it has more than one hit of armor. So basically you have to respect that wake up, for most other armored moves you can use forward 3 and since it has two hits pretty close to each other it stuffs a lot of armored moves.

As for the ex punch walk I would say either just block when he has meter if you're worried about it. It's -5 on block i believe so then you have a chance to do try and pull a mixup. Or if you can get a read you could try jumping over him on wakeup and then running towards him for a full combo punish. I haven't tried it but assuming the punch walk doesn't knock you out of the air it should work I'd think haha.

Anyone else is having problems with the Shinnok (Bone Shaper or Impostor) matchup when using Bojutsu? I feel like it's a terrible matchup when your opponent knows what he's doing... I can't find ways to get in because of hell spark and I easily get outdamaged when zoning against his bb gun. Even when you get in, it feels like if Shinnok blocks my mixup, he always end up having the advantage up close with his pressure. He also has great wake ups that hurts KJ's oki game.

I was thinking about switching to Shaolin for this matchup?