What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
What idiot blocks low on johnny cage after nutpunch?
If you train them to, they will block low. Or attempt to fuzzy guard if they know the timing. Part of the meta I use is D4ing after nut punch. Then you just might get lucky and land a F2 later.

If the opponent doesn't have meter f3xxdb4xxbf4 is a safe block string and it leaves you +11
First off, you didnt tell that guy to watch if they had meter or not. 2nd, It's not safe on everyone. Some characters can outright punish it, others can backdash the MSK and punish. It's unsafe dude.

First off, you didnt tell that guy to watch if they had meter or not. 2nd, It's not safe on everyone. Some characters can outright punish it, others can backdash the MSK and punish. It's unsafe dude.
I also didnt tell him the block string what are u talking about? you cant back dash the mimic shadow kick lmao

If you train them to, they will block low. Or attempt to fuzzy guard if they know the timing. Part of the meta I use is D4ing after nut punch.
Delay your shit then, shinnok players do it all the time... after NP I crouch for like a point second and just go into my overhead to make the opponent think I'm going low once they are trained to block the d4 after NP

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I also didnt tell him the block string what are u talking about? you cant back dash the mimic shadow kick lmao
I was just responding to your reply to me. Dont ask me why you replied with something that didnt pertain to your post to the other guy.

And yes, you CAN back dash it.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Delay your shit then, shinnok players do it all the time... after NP I crouch for like a point second and just go into my overhead to make the opponent think I'm going low once they are trained to block the d4 after NP
Ok, that's fine. Do what you want. I'm jsut going to reiterate...There's no safe way to get the clone out in a block string.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
hmmmmmm waste a clone for +10....or use a small portion of stamina for +12-17 decisions decisions. Lol in all seriousness, I think SD would be better if the recharge time was alittle shorter OR if using clones didnt reset the timer
This is what I was going to lead him to. Being +10 or higher is all well and good, but he peters out immediately because you can get armored out of any follow up. Even if they dont have meter, you cant contiune any kinda pressure. Not like A-List can.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
This is what I was going to lead him to. Being +10 or higher is all well and good, but he peters out immediately because you can get armored out of any follow up. Even if they dont have meter, you cant contiune any kinda pressure. Not like A-List can.
Not entirely true, the yomi behind SD I think is that once you fight someone who knows how to armor, is bait the armor. SD gets big damage so they fear the punish and wallcarry of stunt double. Amirite? @Dja_Homies But on that note, A-list is just ridic on the offense, especially in the hands of someone who can run cancel everything without problems? the only options are too armor, or let him play patty cake on your face

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Not entirely true, the yomi behind SD I think is that once you fight someone who knows how to armor, is bait the armor. SD gets big damage so they fear the punish and wallcarry of stunt double. Amirite @Dja_Homies
That's how I play it. I'll block string activate all day if you let me. The minute you dont, I bait and punish. You'd be surprised how often people in the know, still let you block string activate. But true pressure, it is not.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm just going to interject here to say mimic shadow kick is +14 on block at mimimum. I don't believe it will ever be lower than that.

That said, I don't think a solid argument can be made for SD having better pressure. After a blocked MSK, you aren't in range to do standing 1 or throw. SD mixups are fairly straightforward and predictable. In additon, they can take the hit of the MSK, and there isn't much you can do except do MRS if you read they will take the hit. A-List has very few opportunities to take a hit to get out of his pressure, and much more varied ways for you to mix it up and try and be unpredictable, or at the very least just throw them if their defense is on point.

Last edited: