What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
In the last couple weeks, when I try to do d4bf4 RC, I might end up getting d4db4 RC lol.
Is it just me or does it happen to others too? Before the patch It never happened

Wigy

There it is...
In the last couple weeks, when I try to do d4bf4 RC, I might end up getting d4db4 RC lol.
Is it just me or does it happen to others too? Before the patch It never happened
Something definitely changed with the patch, ive noticed this too. Also on takeda i would do f123+4 teleport d1 bf1, now it comes out as d1 db1

TimTim

Don't Hate
Guys any tips on getting faster at run cancels.
I can do 113 rc 113 but I can't get it to be positive and I am nowhere near fast enough to do 113 rc f24 or f3.
Any shortcut tips or timing tips?

so i joined my first tournament today, got a couple of wins, but still lost. i think im totally lacking on anti airing people (coming from a tekken background, i think i had this coming) what do you guys advise? :)

Red King

One ugly motherfucker!
so i joined my first tournament today, got a couple of wins, but still lost. i think im totally lacking on anti airing people (coming from a tekken background, i think i had this coming) what do you guys advise? :)
Ex Nutpunch is a decent anti air and anti crossup, and Johnny has a great Neutral Jump Punch. AA is hard in MKX though, don't forget.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Fisticuffs is just underwhelming. The variation had it's prime in one match up - everyone else adapted.

Flame fist is just a lot more reliable. Faster buff start up with on hit damage as well. Fist bump only gets chip (which is okay) but it is super slow to come out.

The only thing this variation has is the corner game. It loses all the neat tools to apply pressure. A-list and SD can both start their pressure from a f3 on hit/block, but Fisticuffs doesn't have neat tools to take much advantage of that amazing normal. It's still an excellent whiff punisher.

I had just hoped Fisticuffs got some love with the big patch but nah.
Let's have hope for the next patch. I can understand nrs nerfed him after what djt did with him, but let's be honest, he caught people that still didn't know the matchup. Even the old speedbag could be escaped with not so brilliant reflexes... And now Quan has the 6f poke, he can live; the matchup is still bad, but hey, there are lots of bad matchups in this game, it's crazy to destroy a variation cause of a matchup.

What is obvious is that this variation needs help NOW. If they don't want the speedbag to be better, ok, but at least improve the fistbump, add an ex version that can combo or something. Give us tools to work, nrs. Flame fist Liu Kang trait exists, we are not asking too much...a decent chip trait (or also damage trait) wouldn't make Fisticuffs broken.

Last edited:

TimTim

Don't Hate
Let's have hope for the next patch. I can understand nrs nerfed him after what djt did with him, but let's be honest, he caught people that still didn't know the matchup. Even the old speedbag could be escaped with not so brilliant reflexes... And now Quan has the 6f poke, he can live; the matchup is still bad, but hey, there are lots of bad matchups in this game, it's crazy to destroy a variation cause of a matchup.

What is obvious is that this variation needs help NOW. If they don't want the speedbag to be better, ok, but at least improve the fistbump, add an ex version that can combo or something. Give us tools to work, nrs. Flame fist Liu Kang trait exists, we are not asking too much...a decent chip trait (or also damage trait) wouldn't make Fisticuffs broken.
I wouldn't mind ex fistbump making normals safe/positive on block (like f3) and comboable on hit.
For example f3 ex bump 113/speedbag/f24 comboable.
End in nutpunch and get some nice speedbag chip.

That'd be a cool buff that wouldn't make it as good as the other two variations but would provide more incentive to use him.

ismael4790

I wouldn't mind ex fistbump making normals safe/positive on block (like f3) and comboable on hit.
For example f3 ex bump 113/speedbag/f24 comboable.
End in nutpunch and get some nice speedbag chip.

That'd be a cool buff that wouldn't make it as good as the other two variations but would provide more incentive to use him.
That's it. Also, would be a way to make 113 safe and stay at good range. Right now we can only be safe after 113 using exforceball. And after that the only option is to stop "pressure" or do f34.
With this buff, one could do 113 ex bump. If the 113 is blocked, you are safe cause of the bump. If the 3 connects, you get a combo. Would be very cool.

I also hope speedbag is improved a bit, to an intermediate point between the current one and the old one. Either keeping the recovery but putting the startup at 9 again; or keeping the startup but reducing a bit the recovery. Nerfing both things was too much.

Last edited:

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
for some reason johnny njp beats out some jip'es in this game. thanks man.
It's got a weird hitbox. It's not a good anti air though. You'll get beat out a lot. Johnny flat out sucks at anti air. His are all situational, and against some characters you might as well just block. Have fun taking every character to the lab to test what works and when it works.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I make fisticuffs work, I wish I knew the things I do now that I did with pre-patch fisticuffs.

I think speed bag should be 7/8f on startup, keep it minus, sure whatever, but having that move at 7/8f would really make fisticuffs something to fuck with.

The chip damage is INSANE, 4% fireballs, 10% block strings, 1% d4 (d4, forceballl is like 5%). The only trick is getting it started which should be adjusted like flame fist.

Krabman

Noob
Stunt double is officially my new main. By far the most fun variation I've played and it just feels so good styling on people in the mime ninja costume.

ismael4790

I make fisticuffs work, I wish I knew the things I do now that I did with pre-patch fisticuffs.

I think speed bag should be 7/8f on startup, keep it minus, sure whatever, but having that move at 7/8f would really make fisticuffs something to fuck with.

The chip damage is INSANE, 4% fireballs, 10% block strings, 1% d4 (d4, forceballl is like 5%). The only trick is getting it started which should be adjusted like flame fist.
That reduced startup would be awesome, I agree! I would be surprised if nrs wouldn't adjust this in the next patch.

Yeah, the chip bonus is good, but as you say, its startup is too slow, usually one needs to sacrifice nutpunch to activate it in a completely safe way, and that sucks.
A faster Fistbump and an ex one comboable in my opinion can make this variation get close to the other two.

Also, an ex fistbump that brought back old speedbag while it's on would be amazing, but that's just a wet dream xD

Faster startup would bring back the combo potential, which is the reason why i picked it up in the first place

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
Stunt double is officially my new main. By far the most fun variation I've played and it just feels so good styling on people in the mime ninja costume.
Stunt double is definitely the most fun variation and I feel like it fits me more due to clone footsies and spacing. Good luck on your new main and if you ever want help or tips just send me a pm. I'll be glad to help :). I just love more stunt double mains

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
How do you stunt double mains deals with the gap in 113~anything ? I dropped that variation because of the many gaps.. like this I mentioned

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
How do you stunt double mains deals with the gap in 113~anything ? I dropped that variation because of the many gaps.. like this I mentioned
Throw out a lot of 1 11s to f2 or whatever and don't use 113 much but when you do 113 you better hope they don't react to it or else you're fucked. One of my only true gripes with the variation since 113 is -21ish by itself so it's annoying

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
lol I don't have that brain to do it on reaction.. haha . thanks for the advice guys, great tactic
You dont do it on reaction, you just notice as you are pressuring someone whether they duck after your 11 each time, or if they are looking for f2/stagger/throw. Its a risk so dont just throw it out basically, in some matches where your opponent always fuzzy after the 11 you just forget 113 unless they have no meter and your clones are loaded.