What's new

General/Other - Jax Jax General Discussion

eexcaliburr

Ancestors... oh, nevermind
This is actually pretty reliable
Well, it's just one of the gimmiks with GP. Able to work, especially when opponent don't expect it(waiting for pressure and press block, or try to conterattack/jump too late). Hovewer, EX Gotcha is +22 and GP start-up is 43, then opponent on wake can do whateher he want, GP is reactable. Also, I use GP after Dash Punch as combo ender(+26), Downward Dash punch(+39), naked GP(+64), magor pain(+25)/muscle(+48), and sometimes after catch-up in the air.

enaktom

Noob
Question who knows the to cancel into combo in heavy weapons. I have been trying it and all I do is cancel and dash forward which gives opponent time to block. Just not getting that quick cancel. Any tutorial vid would be appreciated if any exist.

enaktom

Noob
Question who knows the to cancel into combo in heavy weapons. I have been trying it and all I do is cancel and dash forward which gives opponent time to block. Just not getting that quick cancel. Any tutorial vid would be appreciated if any exist.
That is cancel rocket

Trying to level up my wrestler, and I'm not sure when I should be using command grabs. Inputs add to the startup and the range is short so it's hard to figure out when I should be using this.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm basically just using it as a throw with slightly more damage which is good in itself, but I definitely feel I'm under utilizing it

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Trying to level up my wrestler, and I'm not sure when I should be using command grabs. Inputs add to the startup and the range is short so it's hard to figure out when I should be using this.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm basically just using it as a throw with slightly more damage which is good in itself, but I definitely feel I'm under utilizing it
Apart from doing it when you believe their going to block make use of his main tick throw 12D3xxCommandThrow, and the block string 123xxGG. This can be armor OS'd through which sucks but its tough to do. The hard part about this is when you frame trap with the 12 and confirming into a full hitconfirm or a tick throw whether its blocked or you hit your opponent.

You can use the same principle from D12 Tick or D12xxGG, you can also use D1 to tick and D3. I would not advice using 124 because its negative around -14 I believe I'm not sure because I know to never tick from it due to the gap between 124xxGG 124 Tick and because of the string being negative there are a lot of reversals which you can never bait out.

My thought process behind Wrestler is that it is very good against characters with non or weak armor where if you're a good enough player you can both frame trap and tick throw from the very same strings or pokes.

ErmacMKX

Noob
As of now which variation of Jax is the best. I'm trying to main him but there seems to be different opinions on which variation is the best. I want the one with the best combo potential. Thanks.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
As of now which variation of Jax is the best. I'm trying to main him but there seems to be different opinions on which variation is the best. I want the one with the best combo potential. Thanks.
Because of how different Pumped Up can play in specific MU's I think comparing it to HW and Wrestler doesn't work. Pumped Up can zone really well against some of the cast and plays a better defensive game than both his other variants.

My reason for putting HW's above Wrestler is because HW has much more utility options than Wrestler does. You're low string can be made safe on block removing the gap, along with the ability to confirm for your midscreen easier. You can condition and bait with safe run cancels rather than tick throws that can be armor OS'd (Although a little difficult). Better meter build, and better chip finishes with EX rocket.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
What are your thoughts behind this?

My list is currently HW=Pumped Up > Wrestler.
I dunno really- I feel that some match ups are better off with different variations. Pumped up for the big damage punishes especially anti-air because of his 7frame ex gotcha and he also has the insta GP mind games. H/W for pressure and opening up your opponent. But I also feel wrestlers pretty good too because of the unblockable tick throws and great corner damage. Fook it I say- main them all

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
I think hw, wrestler,pumped up. I think hw is the best coz he van hitcomfirm almost everything he does. Also he has meterles cornercarry combos that the 2 other variations dont. hes cancels are not plus(exept s4xxlawcancel)but it doesnt mean u cant continue pressure after it. And u can bait with it pretty nicely. Every variation is viable but that's my order. Wrestel has command crab and plenty of tickthrow pokes and strings. Pumped up is quite strong zoner if done correctly and best dmg of those three. I don't like that PU gc is -9 so u cant use it like in hw and wre. But I think wre and pu has better projectile. It's +7 on block and u can run and di f3.if done right, opponent cant do nothing or they will get hit. Exept armour.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
What are your thoughts behind this?

My list is currently HW=Pumped Up > Wrestler.
Welp, Heavy Weapons was the shit when jax's midscreen combos were really inconsistent off anything that wasn't 11 or 21. But now that they are way easy, heavy weapons just adds the ability to hit confirm easier, but he doesnt even have a hard time doing that off his regular strings. The Cancels can all (except 4 xx rocket cancel) be poked. Wrestler gets some of the highest damage, best oki (command grab oki is super good) and the best mix ups (I know @EGP Wonder_Chef posted a flowchart of jax's options off stand 1 in wrestler its insane). I feel like the zoning in wrestler and pumped up is better than the rockets and guns in HW. As for Pumped Up (my prefered choice to play) I like the restand, the damage and the purple. In terms of what it actually offers I think AA gotcha Grab and air ground pound make it much harder for zoners to try to keep Jax out (thus forcing them to go in, which is always a bad idea because of Jax already having insanely good buttons). Over all I dont think HW is bad (I think Jax is one of maybe two characters who can do really well in variationless) I just think wrestler and pumped up are waaaaaaaay better

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Lots of mixed opinions, I think its between wrestler and pumped up right now. Hard to decide.
If your gonna be playing online mainly and you like your TV, console and controller not Brocken then I agree with you. One of the worst things is playing H/W in lag- trust me

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Lots of mixed opinions, I think its between wrestler and pumped up right now. Hard to decide.
I feel as though Pumped up is the more "complete" character of the two.

If you really favor strong rushdown and place less value on zoning, then Wrestler is your man with that command grab.

However, Jax already has insanely good buttons, as has been previously stated. Energy Wave, Ground Pound, Air Ground Pound, and Instant Air Ground Pound all work together to provide a highly atypical, but also incredibly powerful, zoning kit for Pumped Up Jax.

Some zoning tips: Alternate between Energy Wave and Ground Pound in order to mix up your opponent. Energy Wave effectively anti-airs most jump ins, while Ground Pound catches people attempting to neutral duck your energy wave.

Additionally, you can get (what I believe to be) a guaranteed additional 13% OTG if you use Ex GP after anti-airing with your energy wave. Other guaranteed or near guaranteed OTG setups include Downward Dash Punch, b121, f212, anti-air d2, and 111 on juggled or airborne opponents.

While the startup frames of Ground Pound are slower (36 frames) than those of Air Ground Pound (25), Ground Pound has an incredible 21 recovery frames. Oftentimes opponents who jump my GP and overzealously run in for what they are sure will be a punish end up eating my raw EX Super Gotcha for 22% and a +3 restand.

Meanwhile, Air GP is Kenshi level punishable at a ludocrous 44 recovery frames. That, and GP low profiles a great deal of the game's mid projectiles; Air GP does not. I suggest using Air GP, including the Instant Air, sparingly. Your mileage may vary.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
I feel as though Pumped up is the more "complete" character of the two.

If you really favor strong rushdown and place less value on zoning, then Wrestler is your man with that command grab.

However, Jax already has insanely good buttons, as has been previously stated. Energy Wave, Ground Pound, Air Ground Pound, and Instant Air Ground Pound all work together to provide a highly atypical, but also incredibly powerful, zoning kit for Pumped Up Jax.

Some zoning tips: Alternate between Energy Wave and Ground Pound in order to mix up your opponent. Energy Wave effectively anti-airs most jump ins, while Ground Pound catches people attempting to neutral duck your energy wave.

Additionally, you can get (what I believe to be) a guaranteed additional 13% OTG if you use Ex GP after anti-airing with your energy wave. Other guaranteed or near guaranteed OTG setups include Downward Dash Punch, b121, f212, anti-air d2, and 111 on juggled or airborne opponents.

While the startup frames of Ground Pound are slower (36 frames) than those of Air Ground Pound (25), Ground Pound has an incredible 21 recovery frames. Oftentimes opponents who jump my GP and overzealously run in for what they are sure will be a punish end up eating my raw EX Super Gotcha for 22% and a +3 restand.

Meanwhile, Air GP is Kenshi level punishable at a ludocrous 44 recovery frames. That, and GP low profiles a great deal of the game's mid projectiles; Air GP does not. I suggest using Air GP, including the Instant Air, sparingly. Your mileage may vary.
Also who can forget that Pumped Up GP goes under most projectiles, and if your execution is good you can get a free IAGP full screen on a energy wave hit

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Also who can forget that Pumped Up GP goes under most projectiles, and if your execution is good you can get a free IAGP full screen on a energy wave hit
I already pointed out the low profiling.

However, I did not know that IAGP could be guaranteed after full screen energy wave. That is fucking game changing. Thank you for that.

The frames on whiff wrt Air GP scare the crap out of me, so I have perhaps left IAGP's a bit underexplored. I think that it is time to open that door back up again.

Also, learning the U, D, D+F, D, 4/1 method has been a lifesaver when it comes to learning Jax/Tremor's Instant Airs, respectively.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I don't think pumpeds EXgp is guaranteed after GC. GC is like +3 on hit
By GC you mean Super Gotcha/Gotcha Grab, correct?

No, it absolutely is not guaranteed on that, lol.

That said, one of my favorite things to do after mid-screen Super Gotcha is to let out a nice, juicy Ground Pound, right in my opponents face. This isn't just something that only works on scrubs, as crazy as it seems.

It startef out as a trolly gimmick, but has turned out to be a legitimate technique. I have yet to play an opponent who doesn't fall for this on a regular basis.

Jax has so many options after Super Gotcha mid-screen. Jax can take his +3 a lot further than most characters can take their +3. Dash Punch, F3 cancelled into whatever, f21, d4, jump back Air GP, jump in/back 3, ji1... The options are infinite.

I highly urge you try the SGG followed by GP on the best players you know, even if only to troll. The result might surprise you.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
A topic about alol of jax's variations OOOOOO. How Juicy.
I have been trying to play each variation of jax as a way to understand which variations is good in whaat situations. So far each variation is good in its own regard.

Wrestler:
This variation is all about the tick throws baby. This variation gains a new move in Quad slam and and Air grab. As mentioned above stand one leads into multiple mixups with this variations command grab. This was my most used variations. Mixing people up with 12d3, 124, ect is very tricky to people who do not understand the ways to get out. Even if they try to get out you can use gotcha grab to stop them from jumping out as an excape. You also get a nice new armored WU that can change the directions of the opponent. Although it does not lead into a full combo like OH dash punch it is still nice to put the opponent back into the corner. Also its useful for if the opponent has really good blocks.

Pumped Up:
The variation i started with. In this variation you gain Super Gotcha, Super ground Pound and air ground pound. This is a very defensive variation from what i have seen and from how i have played. Using plasma to keep out the opponent and punishing them for 22% with Ex gotcha if they try to get in or jump at you. Although normal gotcha grab in this variation is -9 and a bit slower then his other variations the EX versiions is a 7 frame armored reversal that leads into a restand. YOu also now have a ground pound that hits the entire floor and low profiles under uncoming projectiles. Making it a decent counter zoning tool. It also recovers faster than the other variations ground pounds and the lowered hit box makes it hard to punish jax for doing it. If you EX it you also get an OTG. The trick to this variation IMO is getting down Instant Air Ground Pound. Once you get that down you can do a lot more. Since the instant ground pound is faster than the normal one. Also with although the restand only leaves you at +3 it still gives you different Mix up opportunities.

Heavy Weapons:
So i picked up this variation about a few months ago and i have to say this variation is so fun. All the cancels allow for more options, different pressure, and its just straight up fun. It takes some time to get used to but once you get the hang of this i feel this is his most fun variation. In this variation you gain a rocket launcher and a machine gun instead of his plasma blast. But the rocket lets you run cancel out of it leading to different possibilities. Although the cancels are about -6 on block it still means you can hit confirm normals like f3, 123, f21, etc much easier. This give this variation a big advantage. You also get actual mid screen damage combos with the rocket cancels. The rocket can also be aimed up so you can anti air jumping opponents. And you have a machine gun. Idk what to use it for. Its kinda just there i guess idk.