What's new

[Jan 26, 2013] KombatNetwork Presents: Operation Wolf (Red Bank, NJ)

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I'll ask around and come to a decision within a week or so.

Who from the HGTV crew is confirmed for this? I am trying to get a head count for the venue.
I dont believe any of us have any conflicts this time, its simply trying to convince one of our parents to give us a ride. I should have an answer for you by tuesday though. I would say 75 percent yes for all of us though at this point.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I dont believe any of us have any conflicts this time, its simply trying to convince one of our parents to give us a ride. I should have an answer for you by tuesday though. I would say 75 percent yes for all of us though at this point.
OK cool, just give me the list of confirms as soon as you know.

Right now this event is looking like 25 confirms roughly, and about 15 maybes a month out so that's already a potential for 40. I still have no confirmations from local top seeds such as REO, CD Jr, Maxter, CD, Riu48, J360, W1nter Warz (I know he's going back to Canada) etc and I'm sure if some of them confirm the rest of the guest list will jump up. There are also several other players I haven't gotten word from.

zaf , who from Canada is attending this event?

Again players, I'm shooting for 40-50 players. We have a minimum of 6 setups available, more if necessary.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
how many setups will be running casuals and how many for tournament usage? i'd definitely prefer to get some casual matches in before or during the tournament, if possible. i'm so used to playing online, i just wanna have fun and play offline casually as well.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
how many setups will be running casuals and how many for tournament usage? i'd definitely prefer to get some casual matches in before or during the tournament, if possible. i'm so used to playing online, i just wanna have fun and play offline casually as well.
I would like to have a couple casual setups going during the tournament because of the rigid time constraints overall with 3 match limits to enforce rotation. If we hit 48 players, we'll run pools, which will definitely lead to us needing some casual setups. I will work on this. Right now out of the gate we have 6 setups so that's one for casuals. I will of course confer with all players attending whom I know generally bring setups to majors. These casual setups will likely be outside the tournament room on the wall with the two large TVs for consoles in order to keep them separate from the tournament stations.

Just an FYI, for 48 players, I need 5 setups (including the stream) to absolutely make sure we run it within 4 hours. The 4 hour time frame for the tournament is 8PM to midnight. It's entirely possible to run the tournament itself even faster than this but it's a good idea to stretch the time frame to that full 4 hours with more stream matches. 4 hours is about 20 to 25 stream sets, but depending on the players it could be as little as 16. This means we have to make sure we run the other half, or 2/3 or the tournament on the pool setups in the same amount of time. Once we hit the bottle neck is when we run into issues.

For streaming and time frame:

My personal definition of Round 1 in the tournament is the first full column of a bracket. This means that if there are 48 players, there will be a number of matches in the bye round of winners. I would really like to avoid streaming any of those matches if possible. For example, if there are 5 bye matches, all of those matches will begin the tournament and one of them will go on stream. After that, we'll run 1 stream match for approximately every 4 pool matches until we create a queue of stream matches for the remainder of winners. None of the bye round losers matches will be streamed and likely none of the first real round of losers will be streamed either. Losers bracket matches are to start as soon as "Round 1" completes. Select losers bracket matches will be streamed only if we finish out winners bracket (up to winners finals) matches before losers bracket reaches top 8. In this case we'll select stream matches from the losers bracket until we reach top 8, which will all be streamed. Pool stations will be made available for casuals when we reach the point in the tournament where we mathematically can no longer simultaneously run 5 matches. This goes for pools or one full bracket. It seems like 5 setups is a lot for a tournament but as we all know, tournaments can take an obscene amount of time for no good reason.

I'll add more later.

zaf

professor
OK cool, just give me the list of confirms as soon as you know.

Right now this event is looking like 25 confirms roughly, and about 15 maybes a month out so that's already a potential for 40. I still have no confirmations from local top seeds such as REO, CD Jr, Maxter, CD, Riu48, J360, W1nter Warz (I know he's going back to Canada) etc and I'm sure if some of them confirm the rest of the guest list will jump up. There are also several other players I haven't gotten word from.

zaf , who from Canada is attending this event?

Again players, I'm shooting for 40-50 players. We have a minimum of 6 setups available, more if necessary.
Jer and Myself as usual. I can try and bring some new faces from montreal but they are never motivated enough.
I will work my magic.

I keep asking toronto to come, but i do not know what they are doing.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Jer and Myself as usual. I can try and bring some new faces from montreal but they are never motivated enough.
I will work my magic.

I keep asking toronto to come, but i do not know what they are doing.
NEO Russel said he was interested, are you guys near him? Also is W1nter Warz back in Canada now?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Is there pre-registration for this or do we register at the door?
Very sorry about the delay. All registration will be done at YesterCades. You will pay the venue fee of $15 when you get there, and then $10 for the MK9 tournament itself when we do sign ups around 8PM.

I will write up a full pep talk for the event tomorrow, for the 2 week warning, but I would like to encourage players to get to the area around 6PM. I will be at the venue pretty early to begin setting up what I can, so when you get to YesterCades just let them know you're there for the tournament and they will do the $15 all day pass. If anyone wants to get there earlier than that, I think we can swing that but the party/tournament room will not be available to us until 7PM. I will make sure to have a couple stations setup in the arcade area early so players can start warming up. I will enforce a strict 3 match rotation limit until I get the other 4 stations + stream setup in the tournament room, where that will allow for another 10 players to play at once until we start the tournament, which I'm shooting for 9PM and run it until 1AM. Altogether there will be 7 stations minimum with at least 2 for casuals the whole night. Anyone planning to bring setups, please contact me and we might be able to squeeze more in.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
OK, so there's 2 weeks until Operation Wolf and the hype needs to begin. For those of you who are wondering why this event is called "Operation Wolf," it is sort of an inside joke with me and jamessmk. Last year's January tournament was called "Revolution X" which was a stand up shooter arcade game that he has some interesting history with. I decided to make it a tradition and name all YesterCades MK tournaments after old arcade games. I already have three more picked out for this year as I'll be running seasonable events there for MK and Injustice.

I'm hoping for this to be the biggest local MK event in some time, predicting between 40 and 50 players to be in attendance. I plan on giving this event a "major" treatment. I have gone over a list of trophies to be presented at the event with 9.95, including a 1st place acrylic, 2nd and 3rd place plaques, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th place medals, along with dog tags to give to everyone else in the tournament. There will also be the first KombatNetwork sponsorship award presented to CRAZY DOMINICAN for his service to us over the last year.

I discussed plans with Ken from YesterCades on setup, and I have confirmed availability for at least 2 casual stations for the entire night even while the tournament is going on in the console area. Again players, we have to stick tightly to time frame as it is likely the tournament itself may no start until close to 9PM. This still gives us 3 or 4 hours to complete it which should be no problem. There will be 5 bracket/pool stations in the tournament room with speakers and headphone splitters, and the stream station will be connected to a 60" big screen over the stream area for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Also players, don't forget, you are paying $15 to be there taking up space in the venue, take advantage of the 75 arcade machines and 16 pinball machines available to you during the tournament itself. Among these games are SFII:CE (Maybe Super Turbo or at least Super by the 26th), MKII, UMK3 (soon to have supergun PS2 pad support), Tom Brady will be bringing his MK4 board as well that we can connect to the board changer in UMK3, Tekken 3, Virtua Fighter, newly purchased MvC2, a NEOGEO cabinet with KoF 98 and 2002. Other classics such as WrestleFest, Rampage, Bubble Bobble, The Simpsons, Turtles in Time, NBA Jam, and way back classics like Frogger, Dig Dug, Burger Time, Arkanoid, Millipede, Defender and many many others. Also if anyone wants to take a crack at it, Addams Family Pinball. Make sure to take lots of pictures and instagram your good time there.

I have Tim Static working on getting us some giveaways from NRS for the event. Let's keep our fingers crossed, also possibly some free day passes from YesterCades.

The time frame for the event is roughly 7PM to 2AM but you can show up earlier than that. I will be there earlier in the day to setup up as much as possible so if you get there at 5PM for example, I will make sure you get in for the tournament day pass. Remember, the regular day pass for YesterCades is $25 + tax. That's the quarters equivalent of playing through and beating TMNT, the Simpsons and Bubble Bobble. $15 is 40% off the regular price and on top of that you're attending an event specifically catered to MK.

Cut off for sign ups will end at 8PM. You may sign up via text or over the phone if you are coming and won't get there until after 9PM and pay when you get there. Contact me for my #. I will hold off your match until it holds the tournament up itself, in which case you are DQ'd to losers, and if you're still not there by the time your match is holding up losers, you're out.

One question to players, I'm considering getting pizza for the event to attempt to prevent players from spending a great deal of time outside the venue which makes running the tournament itself more difficult. If anyone thinks this is a good idea, let me know, or if you think it would be better to just let players handle food on their own I'll leave it be. If we had more time I wouldn't be concerned. I will work on this for future MK events but the venue runs parties all the time

Right now, the relatively confirmed guest list consists of over 30 people, TOs players and guests:

Shock
Summoning
JamessMK
Tom Brady
AC1984
LI Joe
Sweet Johnny Cage
Check
Claude VonStroke
SwiftTomHanks
Zaf
Jer
Cibernetico
Nathan Frost
Scoot Magee
Gamma
Insuperable
rev0lver
Lulzlou
ChrispyCream7
Lt. Box
scarsunseen
HGTV DrFlash44
HGTV Soapboxfan
HGTV Ermacio
OZZYGUITAR
Kazi
RIN
ChainAce
OC
CD Jr
Crazy Dominican
Maxter
REO
Styroteqe
Capital
J360
Jon Loor
Hitoshura
Big Stevie N
Pat the Enforcer
MikeMetroid
7L
Sackram
xKhaoTikx

Along with over 20 other possible players. Anyone else planning to go to this event, please let me know here, or confirm on the facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/events/499062903449938

Please spread the word and help make this event into a huge success for the MK community and YesterCades. I want there to be so many players that we run out of room and have to ask for more space/setups. Anymore questions, ask me and anyone willing to bring setups please contact me. There are going to be top TOP TOP players at this event. See you there and keep it hype.

Dammit, some things have come up that may possibly deter me from going to this event. If I make it, I make it. If I don't, I'll see you guys next time. :(

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Dammit, some things have come up that may possibly deter me from going to this event. If I make it, I make it. If I don't, I'll see you guys next time. :(
OK man, keep us informed. Definitely like to see you there.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
O_O that players' list just gave me PTSD flashbacks of NEC.
I'm gonna get bodied, and it's gonna be beautiful.
My InPin gets here tomorrow, and my Nets, Fans, and Blindfold will all be ready for Red Bank.
Can't wait to see you guys.