What's new

its been 17 months. lets solidify a top 5

i agree it can get really close because there are a lot of characters that are good and all close to eachother, but i think cage kitana jax are infront of smoke. Cage for sure imo lol, smoke has really good normals and a reset, but he lacks a way of gettin out of things. it's also kind of crappy that he has no real string mixups or a mid faster than 13-15 frames. he has a really good overhead though so that's always nice. if you compare him to cage though cage outshines him everywhere pretty easily aside from having shake.
No way jax goes ahead of reptile matchup wise, also you are forgetting about scarlet too. Matchup wise, I'd say smoke is better than cage actually. Smoke has better damage, zoning, good footsies, great AA options, better wakeups, etc. Smoke dominates the cast more than cage does.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
No way jax goes ahead of reptile matchup wise, also you are forgetting about scarlet too. Matchup wise, I'd say smoke is better than cage actually. Smoke has better damage, zoning, good footsies, great AA options, better wakeups, etc. Smoke dominates the cast more than cage does.
yah skarlet reptile are right up there too.. and you're crazy, smoke has potentially better dmg than cage. cage also has a standing reset into more pressure and mixups which prevent having to deal with wakeups. cage has the best aa's in the game probably also an easy option seiect with f3. not to mention has +adv strings / frametrap mixups. Also what wakeups are better? smokeaway / smokefoward which are both grabable and punishable and a teleport thats fullcombo on block -.-

smoke is really solid there no denying that lol, but you can't say he's better than cage.

E

Eldriken

I do agree that tomorrow this thread is going to blow up once more people get into this, this thread should be open for a while based on what we are trying to accomplish (making a top 5 that our community can generally agree with).
Oh, I'm sure it will. Lots of folks are asleep right now, so once they get all caught up with reading all the new posts, it will probably get super busy. Not to mention even more opinionated than it already is.

Oh, I'm sure it will. Lots of folks are asleep right now, so once they get all caught up with reading all the new posts, it will probably get super busy. Not to mention even more opinionated than it already is.
Well arguments are going to be opinionated of course, but evidence is what is needed to back up your opinion and make it more credible/stronger.

haketh

Noob
yah skarlet reptile are right up there too.. and you're crazy, smoke has potentially better dmg than cage. cage also has a standing reset into more pressure and mixups which prevent having to deal with wakeups. cage has the best aa's in the game probably also an easy option seiect with f3. not to mention has +adv strings / frametrap mixups. Also what wakeups are better? smokeaway / smokefoward which are both grabable and punishable and a teleport thats fullcombo on block -.-

smoke is really solid there no denying that lol, but you can't say he's better than cage.
Smoke can also touch you once and it's GGs, Cage always has to hit you at least four times off of optimal confirms. Also St. 2 from Smoke is probably just as good as any AA Cage has except it can lead to death or 70% with 1 bar. Also Smoke has a admittedly risky but good call out move in EX Shake .

Oh I can say he is better than cage, I will list characters smoke does better than and smoke away is better than flip kick/shadow kick/ nut punch and a whole lot safer:
Scorpion (Smoke)
Sub Zero (Smoke
Reptile (Cage)
Ermac (same)
Noob (Smoke)
Rain (Smoke)
Mileena (Cage)
Kitana (Same)
Jade (Same)
Skarlet (Same)
Sektor (Smoke)
Cyrax (Smoke)
Cyber Sub (Same)
Kenshi(Smoke)
Freddy (Smoke)
Sindel (Smoke)
Sonya (Same)
Jax (Cage)
Stryker (Same)
Liu Kang (Same)
Kung Lao (Cage)
Kano (Same)
Nightwolf (Cage)
Kabal (Same)
Baraka (Same)
Shang Tsung (Smoke)
Quan Chi (Same)
Raiden (Cage)
Sheeva (Smoke)
As you can see, Smoke for the most part does better in matchups than cage does, so how is cage better? :p and I am being completely serious, smoke has no reason to be outside top 10 or below anyone besides the top 6 with his matchup chart.

E

Eldriken

Well arguments are going to be opinionated of course, but evidence is what is needed to back up your opinion and make it more credible/stronger.
Agreed. However, some people get really shitty when it comes down to their opinion(s). That's mainly what I was meaning.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
in AE, seth and ibuki were considered top 10 pretty much. Only difference with akuma is he possessed more tools than them overall. They were (and still are) good characters. Also Flash landing a b2 isn't going to happen that easily because he doesn't really outfootsie characters for the most part. Also flash has to watch for a wakeup, backdash, jump back, and etc. after a trait combo. Batgirl just has to hit you than standing reset you for another mixup. Also it isn't hard for batgirl to get the vortex going lol, actually she can get that going easier than he can get his trait combo going. Flash could be top 5, but him being better than batgirl????? heard that one from some at evo, going to have to call that a bill :p
Flash has standing resets and OTG's after trait combos. You must guess. Even his 60% leads to a bad guessing game due to it reversing wake ups/stuffing wake ups or just armoring through them. You must decide to which option to take and pretty much half the options get beat by either of his. Really not that different from BG. Even Fox says Flash is BG's hardest MU so why is it so difficult for her? She definitely doesn't zone him. Flash has many ways to get his trait combo going and they are all fairly safe. Batgirl must make a risky read and she doesn't have the whiff punish capability of Flash. Flash can just walk back and forth baiting attacks and whiff punishing. Batgirl must take a huge risk to bait an attack. That basic tenet holds true for most other MU's in the game as well.

Although Batgirl has projectiles, she must get in just like Flash. I just think Flash's tools for getting in are better. I have him at #4 just ahead of BG at #5.

Flash has standing resets and OTG's after trait combos. You must guess. Even his 60% leads to a bad guessing game due to it reversing wake ups/stuffing wake ups or just armoring through them. You must decide to which option to take and pretty much half the options get beat by either of his. Really not that different from BG. Even Fox says Flash is BG's hardest MU so why is it so difficult for her? She definitely doesn't zone him. Flash has many ways to get his trait combo going and they are all fairly safe. Batgirl must make a risky read and she doesn't have the whiff punish capability of Flash. Flash can just walk back and forth baiting attacks and whiff punishing. Batgirl must take a huge risk to bait an attack. That basic tenet holds true for most other MU's in the game as well.

Although Batgirl has projectiles, she must get in just like Flash. I just think Flash's tools for getting in are better. I have him at #4 just ahead of BG at #5.
I dnt see how flash would be her hardest matchup according to fox, but everyone has their own opinion of course. Overall in all the matchups tho, Fox has flash above her (as do most in our community I'd say pretty comfortably).

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I dnt see how flash would be her hardest matchup according to fox
To quote his MU chart:

Flash 5-5
This matchup is literally mixup vs mixup = High Damage. If BG fucks up she dies, if Flash fucks up he dies. Both these matches are high set play.

He doesn't say much other than that but I believe he has struggled against Flash players in tournament so there is evidence out there to support that claim. Anyway, I would love to see him vs Honeybee FT10. It would be super entertaining if nothing else.

To quote his MU chart:

He doesn't say much other than that but I believe he has struggled against Flash players in tournament so there is evidence out there to support that claim. Anyway, I would love to see him vs Honeybee FT10. It would be super entertaining if nothing else.
That could be set up at NEC #YEEEAAAPPP or TFC for that matter as well

VOR

Noob
The top 4 isn't really too debatable. AM, MMH, Z, BG. 5th spot is tough. Superman or Deathstroke. Bane? Sinestro? Idk. Flash? too close to really put that much thought into.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
According to match up numbers top 5 are(in order):mmh,am,zod,flash,bane.

Then comes(in order):sinestro,Bg and ww.

Sinestro is very underrated, he has loads of 7-3 mus because he can demolish many characters he can out zone such as lex and cw. Bg is a strong candidate, she's just as if not more bullshit than mmh and am because of her vortex but by mus she's only #7 according to bg players mu's (I believe she's higher and they downplay,maybe sonicfox's numbers put her higher and I need to check for updates idk also). WW is solid but there's no valid argument to put her in top 5 IMO

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
While I agree that the meterless vortex is good, I would ask if you would rather have that or be able to take 60% for 1 bar + trait that leads to a 50/50 to take the rest of their life? Either way you are making them guess for their life. I really don't see the difference.

When you compare Batgirl to Flash, it seems like he can do everything she does but just a little better. His tools for getting in and footsies are much stronger than hers. His forward dash is amazing, his b2 is faster than her b1, LC is the ultimate long-range punisher, speed dodge is great for dealing with interactables/zoning. Head to head they are a 5-5 MU, but I would actually give the slight edge to Flash on most stages.
THANK YOU. People on this site take potential damage over guaranteed damage, how is that logical? Hell yeah her vortex is good, I'm not going to say something stupid like it sucks, but I'd take 1 guaranteed 60% from a 50/50 over however many reps of just under 30% from a 50/50 that aren't even guaranteed and that I could possibly even be punished for trying to continue.
Top 5:
Batgirl
bane
manhunter
deathstroke
aquaman
Aaaaaaaaaand credibility gone... you better have some damn good reasoning for that tier list hahaha

You are a fucking god.
According to match up numbers top 5 are(in order):mmh,am,zod,flash,bane.

Then comes(in order):sinestro,Bg and ww.

Sinestro is very underrated, he has loads of 7-3 mus because he can demolish many characters he can out zone such as lex and cw. Bg is a strong candidate, she's just as if not more bullshit than mmh and am because of her vortex but by mus she's only #7 according to bg players mu's (I believe she's higher and they downplay,maybe sonicfox's numbers put her higher and I need to check for updates idk also). WW is solid but there's no valid argument to put her in top 5 IMO
#7?! I don't think any of us have said she's lower than top 5 :confused: