What's new

Giant Atheist rally in Washington D.C.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Good luck guys. The point of the rally makes plenty sense. Just because we don't see eye to eye on what we believe... doesn't mean I should get a job over you and what not. (I know its simplified... but sometimes it needs to be).

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Listen to all those tools clapping wtf does religion have do with anything in these debates.All because you don't have a religion doesn't mean you cant have morals.Id rather have a atheist in the white house then a guy named NEWT lol

Flagg

Noob
As the great late Christopher Hitchens would say "for one to say you're an athiest is almost like saying you kind of wished there was a God". I like to think of myself as an anti-theist. With a strong scientific educational background, and upbringing, I simply find it ridiculous that anything like God or the Devil could exist. I understand the principles of geology, ecology, evolution, chemistry, biology and so forth and all of these things just back up how ridiculous a concept like heaven and hell is.

As Mayo has stated, this is not what the thread should be about. While it's always heart warming to see more athiests speaking up, especially in America where Christianity and Judaism is so deeply entrenched, im not sure I like the idea of a protest rally or not.

What i've admired about a lot of non-believers, is how we don't knock on doors, we don't force you to adhere to our beliefs, we don't judge or condemn others of different faith and we're genuinely more accepting human beings. Having a rally is kind of going against the grain of that. It's kind of forcing the issue, which is exactly what religious people in a position of power always try and do.

Truthfully, I think religion is beginning to fade, the more modern our world becomes. It was only 500 years ago, that women were burnt at the stake because an epileptic fit was seen as demonic possession. Ignorance and intollerance are powerful tools but can't remain forever. Forcing the issue wont make more people become "born again athiests", time will.

That said, something of a similiar nature is taking place in the UK. Over here we have Local Authorities, which is similiar to the Local Government system you guys have in the States. Recently there has been some controvery a high court ruling that local councils have no statutory right to hold prayers.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb/10/local-councils-prayers-eric-pickles?newsfeed=true

Naturally this has kicked up quite a stir, but it's interesting that this has happened here, around the same time a athiest march has/is about to occur in the States. It's showing that times are a changing, we don't have to be afraid of the dark anymore, and that religion has no place in a political and capitalistic society. Perhaps that's a little unfair, what I should say is religion has no business influencing politics or a free market.

The sooner you guys in America stop voting for the guy that says he loves God more than the other guy *cough republicans and democrats*, and the guy that actually really wants to change your country for the better *cough libertarians*, the better.

Right now, if Sarah Palin was running up against Ron Paul for presidency, just those two, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if she destroyed Paul in the polls.

The rally is good in the sense that it shows there are more athiests than I thought in America. I expect that idiot Hannity will demonise them as much as possible.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
im technically a "weak agnostic" but this would be something id love to go to..
Im full on agnostic lol...Always thought hardcore "push it down your throat" atheists are idiots as with the religious nutjobs. I'd go if they support the intellectual side of things instead of professing anti-religious crap, if it's like that i'd enjoy it.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that this turned out to be about a large rally for atheists and not a rally for giant atheists.

I really wonder what the outcome of this event will be not that "secular(ism)" have basically become an insult.

Ermaculate_Slim

You know I live by this phrase"Don't be bound by common sense"in other words all because something doesn't make sense doesn't always mean its impossible.Tell you the truth common sense is rare these days cause of the massive stupidity you see on a daily basis but also you say people 500 years ago were ignorant guess what....people are still just as ignorant.All I'm saying is common sense is good but too much can be a bad thing.I mean if people didnt think outside the box you think we would be in the world we live in today?What if all the great minds that helped pave the way to what civilization is today just said this doesn't make sense.All im saying is theres nothing wrong with thinking outside the box.Besides I refuse to believe I came from a fish :p

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
hardwire is banned for a month for persecuting Atheists.
eh?

Grounds for DQ imo.
It's hard to tell how much they really mean it and how much they're just pandering to the extreme right base to get the nomination before going "I was jk guys lol" in the general election.

Except Santorum. He probably means it.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
I'm an agnostic myself, and I think it's retarded how my country seems to always forget about that little thing called "separation of church and state". They need to look it up.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
You know I live by this phrase"Don't be bound by common sense"in other words all because something doesn't make sense doesn't always mean its impossible.Tell you the truth common sense is rare these days cause of the massive stupidity you see on a daily basis but also you say people 500 years ago were ignorant guess what....people are still just as ignorant.All I'm saying is common sense is good but too much can be a bad thing.I mean if people didnt think outside the box you think we would be in the world we live in today?What if all the great minds that helped pave the way to what civilization is today just said this doesn't make sense.All im saying is theres nothing wrong with thinking outside the box.Besides I refuse to believe I came from a fish :p
Thinking outside the box is what we do. Saying that you don't believe in a God is taking quite the gamble. I know people who really don't believe in any God, but consider themselves religious "just in case".

It's all about calculated risks in life instead of playing it too safe or taking huge leaps of faith.

Ermaculate_Slim

This is coming from a baffoon who cheated on his wives, one of whom had cancer. He also said his second wife was not attractive enough to be a first lady. And he questions other people's judgement and morality? LOL. Good one, Newt.
This is why I don't like politicians, I hate politics because its full of hypocrisy, and they manipulate peoples feeling towards certain stuff ex. religion, War in iraq, gas prices etc just for votes knowing they dont care about any of that stuff.I never watch CNN I cant stand the thought of people actually believing what these people say.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I really wish I could go to this. I live in a very religious town and its very hard to find people like me.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Random responses to people:

Yes, you did come from fish. It`s a beautiful thing too.

Whatever "hate crimes" against Christians are no committed by non-believers. It wouldn`t make sense for a movement based on rational discourse and objectivity to do stupid things like commit hate crimes.

The time for unbelievers to stay quiet passed after faithful people crashed planes into buildings and state after state tried to put bible stories in science class.

You can`t draw comparisons with outspoken non-believers to the faithful. There are no threats here. There are no claims about reality that are not open to examination and debate. There is no dogma. Our ideas and "beliefs" are open to revision when new evidence comes in. That`s the principle of the activism movement. They`re tired of people getting away with whatever they want as long they have faith.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I am without a doubt unable to go; know that i would if i could.

I am a poet. So much reason in one area, i would love to attend!
To walk with the suppressed, the ingenious, the unbiased understanding is tantalizing!

A truth for the common,
A falsity to the wise,
A usefulness to the powerful.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Thinking outside the box is what we do. Saying that you don't believe in a God is taking quite the gamble. I know people who really don't believe in any God, but consider themselves religious "just in case".

It's all about calculated risks in life instead of playing it too safe or taking huge leaps of faith.
Someone should tell them that Pascal's Wager is doomed regardless of what the "ultimate truth" is.