What's new

Giant Atheist rally in Washington D.C.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Hey, this is not to start debate with anyone over the topic. Please don't turn this into a faith discussion. This is simply a post for like-minded people.

On March 24th 2012, there will be the first ever major rally for Atheists, Secularists, etc, in Washington D.C. It's not just a convention. The purpose is to strongly show the presence of Atheist citizens in the US. There are many many speakers. Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers. Tim Minchin and Bad Religion are gonna be there. It could be historic if enough people show up.

So if secularism is a cause that matters to you, if you object to the obscene mixture of religion and the government, if you're tired of being ignored by the people running the country, if you live in one of the states that has specific laws against Atheists' rights, if you're sick of creationism being forced into school science curriculum... this is the place to make your voice heard.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Way to attempt the fastest thread derailment ever on TYM. As Mayo states, this isn't a political/religious discussion thread.
Lol. I didn't really think about derailing things! I just know of some people in the community that would possibly see the importance of it and want to attend. And TYM is a community of many different types of people, so I'd like to think I could post this and not have it turn into a cesspool of insults and trolling. If someone doesn't like it, just move on. We won't use this page to post insults to the faithful, so let's not have any from the other side either please.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
whats gonna happen when they meet up? whats the mission statement/goal of the meet up

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
whats gonna happen when they meet up? whats the mission statement/goal of the meet up
PZ talking about the rally in that video is pretty informative. It's mostly the first attempt to organize nationally and get the attention of american leaders, about the concerns that non-believers have for the country. There will be lots of talks given by prominent leaders, it'll be great.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
mayo realistically 85% of my posts come from an iphone, 80% of which while ate work (lol) so since the change in forums i cant see embedded videos, which sucks and i made a post about it once but whatever. anyway what exactly are the main concerns of the atheists

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I'll be there.

While it sounds comical, atheists are one of the most oppressed groups in modern America. From the open range situations related to our daily lives being structured around religious texts and traditions to the personal; I've lost a job before when my client found out I was atheist.

I don't think religious people are any less intelligent than atheists or vice-versa. I would hope that anyone should be able to agree that one group of people's beliefs should not be able to influence the lives of others. However America is catered to Christians wither people want to admit to it or not.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
mayo realistically 85% of my posts come from an iphone, 80% of which while ate work (lol) so since the change in forums i cant see embedded videos, which sucks and i made a post about it once but whatever. anyway what exactly are the main concerns of the atheists
Off the top of my head, american atheist concerns can include:
School districts removing evolution from science curriculum and trying to insert creationism.
The pandering to the religious during election cycles.
Abortion rights.
Fighting against climate change denial.
American foreign policy with the Arab world.
Obama voicing support for the UK resolution that would make criticizing Islam a crime.
The rising numbers of Sharia Courts through Europe.
Gay/Transgender rights.
Government funding to religious organizations.
Stem-cell research.
A national science curriculum standard for public schools.
In 13 states the constitutions ban non-believers from working for the government in any way.
Protesting abstinence-only sex education and corporal punishment of children.
The vast wasteland of scandal and abuse through the catholic church.

And of course there's the more general concerns that they are looked upon by some as being less moral people that the faithful. They are the fastest growing minority in the US (8% to 15% of the population in the last 10 years), and also the most distrusted and hated according to national polls, far beating out gays, immigrants, muslims, whatever ethnic prejudices, and all other groups that are looked down upon by a large number of americans.

And to that one guy, please. This isn't a place to fight about this. It's just info about the event.

Espio

Kokomo
I deeply respect the faiths of my Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish and other religious brothers and sisters, this world belongs to all of us, secularism has never been about subverting anyone, it's about strengthening the neutrality of the government to respect the rights of all whether we believe in something, nothing, or aren't sure what to believe. Moderation should win and moderation benefits us all.

Lulzlou

Noob
I really want to go to this. I don't know any other atheist in my area so I don't exactly want to go alone.
I kept stuff to myself after an incident with my dad that lasted 2 years. I was terrified about voicing my opinion to anyone until recently. Being 19 now, I look back at it and I should have had the balls to voice it.

I'll see some of you there hopefully c:

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I really want to go to this. I don't know any other atheist in my area so I don't exactly want to go alone.
I kept stuff to myself after an incident with my dad that lasted 2 years. I was terrified about voicing my opinion to anyone until recently. Being 19 now, I look back at it and I should have had the balls to voice it.

I'll see some of you there hopefully c:
Fuck going alone. The atheist community in the Mortal Kombat community should go if in the area. I have a ton of atheist friends outside MK, but I'm not sure if they are the type to go to this. They do go to Reddit a lot though... so who knows.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Had to delete a lot of posts. Keep the posts about the topic, meaning the meet-up. The first post made it clear this isn't a debate thread. Next person who posts off-topic will be dealt with.

On topic: I'd love to go, I actually don't live that far away. But I just dunno if I will be able to, definitely willing though.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Count me in!

I usually avoid the subject of religion whenever possible and if others bring it up I usually smile and nod but never respond. You get some pretty extreme responses out of people once they find out...

As long as this doesn't turn into a hate rally I'm cool with it, a lot of atheists HATE religion, I support anyone who wants to believe in any god(s), I just don't believe myself.

Goldi

Noob
I'm afraid it's too far and during a rather busy time for me. If you were speaking, I would find a way to make it work, of course.

Can I make a donation?

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
I'm a religious person but I can agree that religion should not be used in politics because to me its just another way for these politicians to try to manipulate people to get votes.Since most voters are efin retards it always works.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Slim brings up a good point, it's important to note that the point of the rally is to spread Secularism, not Atheism. The point is to encourage separation of church and state. Although the vast majority of people who go will undoubtedly be Atheists.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
While it sounds comical, atheists are one of the most oppressed groups in modern America. From the open range situations related to our daily lives being structured around religious texts and traditions to the personal; I've lost a job before when my client found out I was atheist.

I don't think religious people are any less intelligent than atheists or vice-versa. I would hope that anyone should be able to agree that one group of people's beliefs should not be able to influence the lives of others. However America is catered to Christians wither people want to admit to it or not.
Win.

I wish I could go. This sounds like a fucking blast.
It makes me laugh when I consider almost all the overly intelligent people I know are Atheists.

Get Bill Maher to go and I'll be there.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I'm afraid it's too far and during a rather busy time for me. If you were speaking, I would find a way to make it work, of course.

Can I make a donation?
There`s lots of great places to donate. To this rally, or to local secular causes. To organizations that battle creationism in schools across the country. Doctors without borders. The Richard Dawkins association. Etc.

And no, this won`t be a hate rally. There`s a wide variety of people who will find value in this. From secular believers who want religion and government separated, all the way to the Anti-Theists who want to see religion disappear from civilization. There are plenty of different opinions, but a lot of shared interests. The rally will likely be all over the map subject wise, which is what makes these things so awesome. You`re likely to learn new views and get upset by some. That`s what the free exchange of ideas is all about.