What's new

Ed Boon has very bad taste and all his posts on twitter signal bad possibilities for MK guests

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Spawn was requested by 90s dads
The people that make these games are from the 60s and 70s... the original die hard fans are all form the 80s and early 90s... so if 90s and under nostalgia turns you off... your playing the wrong game.

Expect more guests from that "era".... it is the way of things.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
The people that make these games are from the 60s and 70s... the original die hard fans are all form the 80s and early 90s... so if 90s and under nostalgia turns you off... your playing the wrong game.

Expect more guests from that "era".... it is the way of things.
Oh not at all! It's just that Spawn is nothing more than an edgy boii. I think there are better characters from the 90s.

Jynks

Oh not at all! It's just that Spawn is nothing more than an edgy boii. I think there are better characters from the 90s.
Not a big Spawn fan myself, but you gotta remember... Spawn was basically only a little less popular than the ninja turtles in the 90s. The entire comic label IMAGE was launched off that titles alone. Cartoons, Movies, the most popular US comic of the decade. It was a cultural phenomenon.

I don't think a lot of people in this thread know what a baby boomer is.
You gotta let that go. Language is fluid.. meanings change. When some stupid kid says "shut up boomer" they do not mean someone born in the 50s. It is simply not what the slang means.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Spawn was basically only a little less popular than the ninja turtles in the 90s. The entire comic label IMAGE was launched off that titles alone. Cartoons, Movies, the most popular US comic of the decade. It was a cultural phenomenon.
Was Spawn really that popular? Maybe I was just too young for it, but I mostly remember ninja turtles, X-Men, Ghostbusters, Transformers, Spider-man, and Batman as the big characters. Power rangers came along too. Spawn was present, but I don't remember much merch or media around spawn, outside of the movie and I assume the comic books.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Was Spawn really that popular? Maybe I was just too young for it, but I mostly remember ninja turtles, X-Men, Ghostbusters, Transformers, Spider-man, and Batman as the big characters. Power rangers came along too. Spawn was present, but I don't remember much merch or media around spawn, outside of the movie and I assume the comic books.
I mean Todd McFarlane toy company(which is his primary business these days) came out of Spawn, if I recall. Since then, they've done figures for all sorts of IPs.

And Spawn had a pretty popular animated series on HBO that ran for three seasons, I think. Its where Keith David VA comes from.

I don't think a lot of people in this thread know what a baby boomer is.
That's what I'm getting at.

You gotta let that go. Language is fluid.. meanings change. When some stupid kid says "shut up boomer" they do not mean someone born in the 50s. It is simply not what the slang means.
True, and I know contesting it is a loosing battle, but if you look at how the term "Okay boomer" came about, the irony is the younger generation using it as they do now proves the criticism against them correct.

I don't know if you ever watched Hugo Martin's Director's Playthrough of DOOM Eternal, but through it the chat was calling him a "boomer" a lot at first. He was confused/irked by that, and corrected them. Gen X and "Gen X Energy" became a big part of his show, and worked well. The chat actually learned.

Was Spawn really that popular?
While he wasn't up to the level of Spider-Man or Batman, he was absolutely very popular.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think you're mistaking baby boomers for Generation X.
I know what a baby boomer is, and I know that they’re all most likely too old to be playing these games at this point. I’m calling Robocop and Rambo (don’t get me wrong I like those movies!) boomer characters because they’re nostalgia bait and not all that relevant today, as opposed to cooler more relevant guest characters like Predator or Spawn.

I’m not using it to literally describe the exact demographics of Robocop mega fans, and the technicality of if it’s nostalgia bait for gen x or millennials or whoever doesn’t matter for my point.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Also a character being from an older franchise doesn’t make me think they’re a bad guest, or even if I personally like them or not. I liked Predator as a guest even though he came from an older movie, he’s still relevant today AND thematically fits MK. I like Joel from the last of us as a character but I think he doesn’t fit MK thematically. I could give a shit about Spawn personally but he is relevant and he fits the game. My main criticism of some of MK11’s and MKX’s guests is that there isn’t a shortage of relevant characters that fit MK’s tone well, and would sell well.

I know what a baby boomer is, and I know that they’re all most likely too old to be playing these games at this point. I’m calling Robocop and Rambo (don’t get me wrong I like those movies!) boomer characters because they’re nostalgia bait and not all that relevant today, as opposed to cooler more relevant guest characters like Predator or Spawn.

I’m not using it to literally describe the exact demographics of Robocop mega fans, and the technicality of if it’s nostalgia bait for gen x or millennials or whoever doesn’t matter for my point.
Fair enough. My dad, for example, is a boomer.

Also note that Predator is from the same era as Robocop and Rambo. Alien is from a bit earlier.

I like Joel from the last of us as a character but I think he doesn’t fit MK thematically.
First party characters, either from Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo, should not be used since they likely wouldn't appear on all platforms.

Jynks

I know what a baby boomer is, and I know that they’re all most likely too old to be playing these games at this point.
I'm old and I still play these games all the time and are active in the FGC online and offline, and active in various FGC online communities (like this one). A lot of my mates that play are in the same age group. There are a ton of people on this very forum that played MK1 in the arcade in the 90s. TOs and stuff played in locals and build events like Evo and ComboBreaker decades ago.

I’m calling Robocop and Rambo boomer characters because they’re nostalgia bait and not all that relevant today, as opposed to cooler more relevant guest characters like Predator or Spawn.
Also note that Predator is from the same era as Robocop and Rambo. Alien is from a bit earlier.
  1. Alien : 1979
  2. Rambo :1982
  3. Predator : 1987
  4. Robocop : 1987
  5. Spawn : 1992
They are all "nostalgia bait". The idea that because you like some more than others makes them more "relevant" is pretty crazy. Rambo was still making movies and tons of money as recently as 2019.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'm old and I still play these games all the time and are active in the FGC online and offline, and active in various FGC online communities (like this one). A lot of my mates that play are in the same age group. There are a ton of people on this very forum that played MK1 in the arcade in the 90s. TOs and stuff played in locals and build events like Evo and ComboBreaker decades ago.

1. Alien : 1979
  2. Rambo :1982
  3. Predator : 1987
  4. Robocop : 1987
  5. Spawn : 1992
They are all "nostalgia bait". The idea that because you like some more than others makes them more "relevant" is pretty crazy. Rambo was still making movies and tons of money as recently as 2019.
That’s fair, Rambo was a poor example. And I didn’t mean that to insult you or guys in your age group, my main hobby irl is mostly guys bare minimum 10 years older than me.

I didn’t mean the competitive fighting game community when I said that older guys were the minority though, and I think you knew that. I mean mainstream gamers, obviously die hard fans will never age out of their hobbies. You didn’t need enticement from Rambo to buy MK11, but some other guys of any age group on the fence of getting back into gaming or trying MK out might get this game because of x character. This forum in particular doesn’t represent the majority of people who will buy a MK game and it’s DLC.