What's new

Ed Boon has very bad taste and all his posts on twitter signal bad possibilities for MK guests

mattteo

Noob
If a guest character was included in the "main cast", like with the base roster of the game, then I could buy the argument that a guest character takes away a slot from an OG. But given that guests nowadays are almost always part of an additional add on which requires a separate purchase, I don't see how a guest actually takes a slot from an OG.
They could still be Mk characters, not seen since Armageddon, more as Fujin.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
They could still be Mk characters, not seen since Armageddon, more as Fujin.
They could, and hardcore MK heads will say “cool!” and casuals will say “who?” and they’ll likely sell less.

The whole point of a guest character is to make additional sales. And those additional sales allow other characters to be in. No way Rain makes it into MK11 without Rambo.

Immortal

Blind justice....
You obviously have no idea how things work in this bussiness. Rambo, Robocop, Leatherface and other guest characters made X times more money for WB than any other MK character. Casual players make real money for them not hardcore MK players/loyalists.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Friendly reminder there is no such thing as “bad taste” and only “an opinion”

Also, I still turn on MKX often literally just to play Leatherface. Chainsaw go brrrrr

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Friendly reminder there is no such thing as “bad taste” and only “an opinion”
rubbish... the modern generations' idea that every opinion is as valid as any other is total BS. Some opinions (like sexism or racism) and thoughts or beliefs are just complete trash. Like people that think the Earth is flat... and by people I mean idiots. There is such a thing as being wrong, having bad taste and being crazy to think something.

You do not have to RESPECT people's opinions.. in fact opinions can cause utter contempt... but in many cases you do need to TOLERATE them.... very different things. Some, of course, can not be respected or tolerated.

Last edited:
I love MK but hate guest-characters. But Ed Boon is a legend for what he did for the franchise. Ed is not in control of everything regarding MK. Warner bros is woke af and modern NRS likes to roll with it I guess.

Can’t hate on Ed Boon.

Last edited:
rubbish... the modern generations' idea that every opinion is as valid as any other is total BS. Some opinions (like sexism or racism) and thoughts or beliefs are just complete trash. Like people that think the Earth is flat... and by people I mean idiots. There is such a thing as being wrong, having bad taste and being crazy to think something.

You do not have to RESPECT people's opinions.. in fact opinions can cause utter contempt... but in many cases you do need to TOLERATE them.... very different things. Some, of course, can not be respected or tolerated.
I prefer to call it uneducated taste for not sounding rude, but yeah, "bad" opinions and taste exist.

mattteo

Noob
I love MK but hate guest-characters. But Ed Boon is a legend for what he did for the franchise. Ed is not in control of everything regarding MK. Warner bros is woke af and modern NRS likes to roll with it I guess.

Can’t hate on Ed Boon.

I think the woke guys are Ed Boon and others there (Derek, Tyler, Cianciolo, Grey Meta), not WB. WB didn't force them to make Jax a Wakanda warrior with an anti white kingdom in his ending.instead of the American he had always been.

Ed Boon made little for MK. The entire story and most ofthe stuff we enjoy were done by Tobias and writers like Vogel, Barrentine and Greenberg. Boon mostly did sound in MK1 and co-participated at some moves.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I think the woke guys are Ed Boon and others there (Derek, Tyler, Cianciolo, Grey Meta), not WB. WB didn't force them to make Jax a Wakanda warrior with an anti white kingdom in his ending.instead of the American he had always been.

Ed Boon made little for MK. The entire story and most ofthe stuff we enjoy were done by Tobias and writers like Vogel, Barrentine and Greenberg. Boon mostly did sound in MK1 and co-participated at some moves.
Why are you even talking about things you have so little knowledge is beyond me. Also your opinions are anything but humble.

Boon wrote a lot of base code for MK1-3. He was a pretty skilled programer in the early days of MK.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!

I think it should’ve been obvious there is a HUGE difference between “the earth is flat” and “I think this character is bad so it’s objectively bad”

One is a blatant lie that can be PROVEN. The other, is an opinion which you cannot present as fact whatsoever.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
No.. It's not different. Opinions... unprovable opinions... can be total bullshit takes and the makers of them rightly ridiculed and made fun of for being a waste of the miracle of birth. People are "allowed" to believe and think what they want about anything.. but that tolerance we show them dose not shield them from being told they are fucked in the head.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
No.. It's not different. Opinions... unprovable opinions... can be total bullshit takes and the makers of them rightly ridiculed and made fun of for being a waste of the miracle of creation. People are "allowed" to believe and think what they want about anything.. but that tolerance we show them dose not shield them from being told they are fucked in the head.
I just thinking you’re taking this a bit more seriously than I intended

Obviously racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia will NEVER be valid opinions. I’m part of the LGBTQ community myself so I’d never say anybody who has something like that to say is defendable

But, I was literally just talking about a video game, AKA nothing serious. All I was saying was you may think Ed has bad taste, but others may not. For example, matteo likes Daegon, I think Daegon is an awfully boring character. I like Leatherface, he thinks he was a waste of a slot. Neither is wrong in that situation.

That’s all I was saying. If everybody had the same opinion about MK, then damn, this franchise and community would be boring as shit. That’s what I meant, maybe I should’ve clarified there’s “no thing as bad taste” meant in relations to this topic specifically

I’m more a John Tobias fan than Ed Boon fan. The direction MK took since MK9 story wise is kinda bad, especially some design and reboot choices modern NRS has made. Taking away the Shaw Brothers vibes, lack of mysticisms and woke bs is unfortunate BUT Ed boon did more good than bad imo. Also don’t forget that the actors like Pesina and Divizio etc had a lot of input on the characters as well.
Maybe a lot of problems would be solved if John Tobias would work with Ed Boon on Mortal Kombat again..

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Isn't this one of the most popular video games of all time and the current most popular show in production on the planet? Dose not seem to be a bad choice to me... .
I love the first game and think the show is good too but they would be awful guests.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’m torn because I think a lot of the guests in MK11 were terrible characters for boomers but most of the guests in X and 9 were awesome. I like guest characters a lot and think so long as the majority of the MK1-3 characters (plus Quan, Kenshi, Takeda, Kung Jin, maybe a few other new ones) make it, then go nuts. Truly most of the 3D MK characters suck, but in general I like the idea of dumb or obscure characters getting the Tremor treatment.

I think MK11 really scraped the bottom of the barrel with the 80s chararacters since they already used Jason, Freddy, Predator, Alien etc. Wasnt all bad though, Spawn was a good choice. They will still do guest characters but could be a little more selective of who fits the MK tone. There’s lots of DC characters who would fit. RE4R just came out and Resident Evil has been getting really popular again. They could use Leon, Chris or Wesker, or go really crazy and do Mr X, the Nemesis, or Lady D so long as they’d be willing to pay capcom lol.

Other video game characters would be my preference. I know it’s fun to roast Matteo but I think you guys are being a little hard on him. Joel and Ellie (despite Joel being one of my favorite all time video game characters and liking Ellie in part 1 quite a bit too), would be terrible guest characters. ESPECIALLY the HBO versions. They’re good characters in both versions of TLOU partially because of how vulnerable they are and how easily they could die. I think Scorpion’s bicep is bigger than the Pedro Pascal Joel’s leg, it would look ridiculous, and not in a MK “oh wow that fatality was insane way”, but in a sad embarrrasing way. Not to mention they’d be Sony exclusive. And above all there’s no way they would have us watch Bella Ramsay’s Ellie get disemboweled, Ed is just tweeting that stuff to generate buzz around his game using another popular property, which is fine.

Last edited: