What's new

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (PS3/360/VITA)

The closest to that is Super Dragon Ball Z. It works on a 2.5D engine: 3D movement, with 2D SF-like motions.

It was developed by a company started by Noritaka Funamizu, former Capcom designer known for helping develop the SF series, VS series, Darkstalkers series, etc.

SDBZ has many Capcom fighting game elements like Super Moves, Alpha Counters, Parries, Reversals, etc.
Yeah I know, ps2 title. Reason they've stepped away from that was because that was one of the lowest selling Dbz titles back in the ps2 days, mainly because gaming wasn't head to head back then. So namco mainly thinks the casual beat em up style Dbz games like the tenkaichi series will sell for them as it did in the past, but that type of games doesn't sell nowadays they need to realize that. Unfortunately the corporate world of video games has trouble seeing on our level sometimes

http://www.youtube.com/user/TequilaMockingburd

And no I don't type my signature out everytime, im using Tapatalk app lol

#hopeforhood

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The closest to that is Super Dragon Ball Z. It works on a 2.5D engine: 3D movement, with 2D SF-like motions.

It was developed by a company started by Noritaka Funamizu, former Capcom designer known for helping develop the SF series, VS series, Darkstalkers series, etc.

SDBZ has many Capcom fighting game elements like Super Moves, Alpha Counters, Parries, Reversals, etc.
SDBZ's major flaw was, unfortunately, its biggest selling point aside from being closer to a traditional fighter.

That system just didn't work outside the arcades, and to get the best move setup, you were forced to grind levels until you got everything...otherwise you were playing with pretty much nothing.

I agree, though, it was a great game otherwise. Just not something the FGC would continue to play due to that.

my vote still goes to snes' dragon ball z - super butouden 2. I honestly think a remake should play like MVC3. I hate that game, but it would be amazing for DBZ. Instead of TAC's you teleport and so on. I've said COTA came out... this is dragonball with other characters.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Meh, looks like a 3D brawler, not a fighting game. Will be fun, but wish it was going to be more like Budokai.

Solo

Shadow Priest
I've already fought through those same story lines 1000 times, I just want a decent fighting game to be made for DBZ, is that too much to ask?
Agreed. This story mode will be stupid, because of the Team Battle. Then I already know the story of DBZ inside and out.(If they decide to do the Battle of the Gods as story mode then that'll be only reason to play story mode.) This game just need a practice mode, few things to play around with offline(tournament, singles battles, maybe challenges or something), and Online. No character unlocking.

SSJ Goku teaming up to fight Frieza... -_-

THTB

Agreed. This story mode will be stupid, because of the Team Battle. Then I already know the story of DBZ inside and out.(If they decide to do the Battle of the Gods as story mode then that'll be only reason to play story mode.) This game just need a practice mode, few things to play around with offline(tournament, singles battles, maybe challenges or something), and Online. No character unlocking.

SSJ Goku teaming up to fight Frieza... -_-
LOL I saw that and went "Huh...?"

Hopefully they do something to add some depth to the game, such as characters who do more damage from range, or have better support options.

Error

DF2+R2
Agreed. This story mode will be stupid, because of the Team Battle. Then I already know the story of DBZ inside and out.
They should just make a big alternate universe story mode that doesn't include Yamcha and Krilin(optional), that way things could stay fresh, because Budokai Tenkaichi pretty much covered GT after that the story mode just went on repeat for all the games that followed. Not to mention how often we've already been through Saiyan/Namekian/Frieza/Android/Cell Sagas -____-

Error

DF2+R2
When I ascend to power I'm going to buy the rights to DB and have a good fighting game made out of it.

THTB

They did it with Injustice, even if the story's a little unoriginal, and while they'd complain, they'd still end up buying it because they're fanboys.
I think you underestimate DBZ fanboys and their nitpicking...

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
It'll have the Battle of Gods characters, day 1 purchase. Also im seeing the Battle of Gods movie in September. Super Saiyan God Goku :"D

Earth's Special Forces 1.1 was a good DBZ game, it had open world fights with the same size as a counter strike server. It was good until they introduced Dance Dance Revolution style melee and everyone quit joining servers for 1.1.

Before that they had 1 hit melee that knocked the opponent back 50 feet. You could also teleport to create your own combos with this melee. There is a system where "e" charges your Ki and the person with the most Ki won in head on collisions. People called them HoW (Head on Whore) lol. It was that games version of spammer. You could also swoop diagonally to hit them in the side and it wouldn't matter how much they had charged.

Error

DF2+R2
I think you underestimate DBZ fanboys and their nitpicking...
Oh I've been on those forums, and I've seen their Broly is the strongest in the universe threads (with 100s of responses) because of one line he said in the movie.

THTB

Oh I've been on those forums, and I've seen their Broly is the strongest in the universe threads (with 100s of responses) because of one line he said in the movie.
Which, in truth, he's not lol. But yeah, you see how they are.

You'd have to make a story that properly fits with every little detail. Otherwise, you're majorly scrutinized.

RoGE

Noob
I loved tenkaichi 3's gameplay (even though that game was poop in high level) I just found it fun to mess around with. Toying around with items and stuff was fun. Hercule was a beast lol

This game looks like a rushdown version of that one 3rd person Gundam game I keep seeing.

Solo

Shadow Priest
Exactly. You can't make an addition to the story...there would be way too much backlash for the smallest shit.
I know. Unless Akira Toriyama personally said he had an involvement in the making of the game.

They should just make the story optional for people who want the trophies and achievements.

Error - You got a point. Although.. the story for Injustice was written by comic book writers. Even then the story still got mixed reviews. Anime fanboys are worse than Comics guys. Because I think all DBZ fans fear another DBGT.

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
I agree, DBZ Kai wasn't really the same either, I wanted to watch 15 episodes for Goku to move one inch or 6 episodes for each Freeza transformation. Also it was just a repeat of DBZ without the buu saga, which imo is the best one. I really like the scene where Kid Buu fights Vegeta. It would've looked great in HD.

I also somehow found this and dragonball p thanks to these forums.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I wish there was a DBZ game made well enough for Tournament play.
DBZ is by far the best fighting franchise :3
Okay maybe Opinion but it's at least the most badass.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
Demo for this game comes out tomorrow. Judging from videos/screens alone, I have mixed feelings about this one. But, I'm going to give it a shot. Co-op battles look like they could be fun. :)