What's new

Ask a Question,Get an Answer,Sonya Style

Justice

Noob
Noob question- But sheesh where do I start?
Start with f0xy's guide at the top of the Sonya page. Also, somber just posted a new frame data chart for post 1.05. Most of all, just hop in the lab (Practice Mode) and just muck around. It's fun and you learn about the character all that the same time :D Then come back here for more advanced kombos and such.

Start with f0xy's guide at the top of the Sonya page. Also, somber just posted a new frame data chart for post 1.05. Most of all, just hop in the lab (Practice Mode) and just muck around. It's fun and you learn about the character all that the same time :D Then come back here for more advanced kombos and such.
Thanks- I am decently experienced with Sonya i just don't literally research frame data(among other things)- I guess I kind of use frame advantage without knowing it sometimes? So I was told to come here and I just saw a plethora of information and am like @_@ overwhelmed. Are the guides and other things updated?

Justice

Noob
Thanks- I am decently experienced with Sonya i just don't literally research frame data(among other things)- I guess I kind of use frame advantage without knowing it sometimes? So I was told to come here and I just saw a plethora of information and am like @_@ overwhelmed. Are the guides and other things updated?
Yes and no. Sonya really hasn't been touched very much after they slowed down MS to kill the infinite she had @ launch. So any kombo videos you see on here or just in general on youtube are still pretty much valid. Speaking of youtube, the 3 best players to look for gameplay vids to study are A f0xy Grampa, Morty Seinfeld and Riu48. There were 2 Sonyas in the Top 8 at NEC this year. That would be a good place to start :D

Somberness

Lights
Yes and no. Sonya really hasn't been touched very much after they slowed down MS to kill the infinite she had @ launch. So any kombo videos you see on here or just in general on youtube are still pretty much valid. Speaking of youtube, the 3 best players to look for gameplay vids to study are A f0xy Grampa, Morty Seinfeld and Riu48. There were 2 Sonyas in the Top 8 at NEC this year. That would be a good place to start :D
Did they slow it down or just add 10 frames before you can cancel out of it?

Oh believe me I saw that :] I was all super excited for the sonya on sonya action! I saw the morty footage at devastation too. I used to have friends tell me oh you'll never see sonya at top 8. Look now :p

Marvaz

come at me
312 is neutral on block.
I was playing on the original unpatched version of mk this whole time until today lol. In the original version i was doing 312 cartwheel 11 312 cartwheel and it kept looping, in the latest version i guess its not posible.

I was playing on the original unpatched version of mk this whole time until today lol. In the original version i was doing 312 cartwheel 11 312 cartwheel and it kept looping, in the latest version i guess its not posible.
Well, if you check somberness' frame data you'll see that 312 is actually -4. My bad.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Is the Jump in kick into Air grab worth working into my game? I use it here and there, but is there any use for it besides some quick, unexpected damage?

Slego

The Saltan of Salt
Is the Jump in kick into Air grab worth working into my game? I use it here and there, but is there any use for it besides some quick, unexpected damage?
Sometimes you can see someone fishing for a jump in, and his frame advantage makes air to air punches a bad idea. If you're not at a good angle to AA jab, or there's a threat of dk(KL, Sonya, etc.), jk into aair throw is a very solid option.

Also, keep in mind it switches sides, so if your opponent catches you in the corner, and you land a grab, they're in the corner. (and visa versa)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
How do you fellow Blondie players punish blocked teles? (Noob, Scorp, Smoke, Ermac or even Sektor & Whoreleena)
Besides waiting for them to land and dive kick+combo them. What other safe and as-high-damaging-as-possible stuff can she do?
A kiss won't make it in time, yes? I've seen Slego do 1 ms b2 to b2 1 f2 but that part whiffed for the most part, needed timing.
Just wait until they land and punish. That's by far the best option.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
How do you fellow Blondie players punish blocked teles? (Noob, Scorp, Smoke, Ermac or even Sektor & Whoreleena)
Besides waiting for them to land and dive kick+combo them. What other safe and as-high-damaging-as-possible stuff can she do?
A kiss won't make it in time, yes? I've seen Slego do 1 ms b2 to b2 1 f2 but that part whiffed for the most part, needed timing.
Time your move so it comes out just before their feet touch the ground so they cant block but are grounded. You should punish with the highest damaging bnb, so b2 1 f2 combo. For faster punishes like on whiffed moves or reps dash you might want to dash in for the divekick combo if you are worried about timeing, or any other fast start up combo which you can hit consistantly.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Thanks. What I was doing til now was 1 dash 21 cart, 1 dash 112 ms f1 etc but that's just a 24% with reset/pressure options.
Should practice that dk timing.
You're on the PAL PS3 server, aren't you? Haven't fought you yet, do you use Sonya as well?
I play online on ps3 but dont think i have faced you. My sonya isnt anything fantastic just picked up a few tricks here and there to get me by!

CDash

Noob
Yo, I've always known Sonya has more of an "in your face" type of character.. but i get beat up pretty badly... i guess my downfall is the inability to maintain pressure. Maybe you guys can throw some help this way. All advice is appreciated. Thanks. -Dash

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Yo, I've always known Sonya has more of an "in your face" type of character.. but i get beat up pretty badly... i guess my downfall is the inability to maintain pressure. Maybe you guys can throw some help this way. All advice is appreciated. Thanks. -Dash
If you wanna 'stay in' you have to make the opponent fear the MS mixup at the end of a blockstring, so use your 50/50s alot to start with, then you can begin to cancel into another blockstring etc.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
What are 50/50's? I dont know much about sonya at all.. bear with me. Lol. -Dash
Basically, at the end of any block string you do with Sonya, always cancel into the military stance. There you have the B4 and the throw which is low or overhead. This means they have to guess if you're going high or low. So its a 50% chance you'll hit them because they cant block both attacks.

Once they're scared of the 50/50s they'll be blocking in anticipation of a high or low attack, which will give you enough time to cancel out of the stance and go for another blockstring/throw/jump etc etc.

This is the basic way to keep yourself up close with Sonya, but at some point you're gonna have to take the 50/50 because if you always cancel they have opportunity to attack you. (If they poke you can divekick however)

The beauty of it all is that all of her moves and options on hit or block keep her roughly within the D4 range which you can abuse D4MSF1 and play her insane footsie game. Thats pretty much what makes Sonya a sick character, how upclose game and footsie game complement eachother so well.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Is there anything that Sonya has that takes priority over Kano's upball while its going up, not even just on wake up, while just normally standing, I tried numerous options last night against a Kano player and she seemed to eat it every time unless I just blocked and attempted a counter. Is it not able to be hit in the up animation even just from standing or is it just the dumb random priority system the game likes to assign to one player or another?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Basically, at the end of any block string you do with Sonya, always cancel into the military stance. There you have the B4 and the throw which is low or overhead. This means they have to guess if you're going high or low. So its a 50% chance you'll hit them because they cant block both attacks.

Once they're scared of the 50/50s they'll be blocking in anticipation of a high or low attack, which will give you enough time to cancel out of the stance and go for another blockstring/throw/jump etc etc.

This is the basic way to keep yourself up close with Sonya, but at some point you're gonna have to take the 50/50 because if you always cancel they have opportunity to attack you. (If they poke you can divekick however)

The beauty of it all is that all of her moves and options on hit or block keep her roughly within the D4 range which you can abuse D4MSF1 and play her insane footsie game. Thats pretty much what makes Sonya a sick character, how upclose game and footsie game complement eachother so well.
After you take the mixup, get the knockdown, do you just go back into the footsie game or is there a way to put pressure on downed opponents? thats the only hole ive found is that im not as fantastic at baiting wake ups and/or ex cartwheeling peoples wake ups as i would like to be. Any tips?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Is there anything that Sonya has that takes priority over Kano's upball while its going up, not even just on wake up, while just normally standing, I tried numerous options last night against a Kano player and she seemed to eat it every time unless I just blocked and attempted a counter. Is it not able to be hit in the up animation even just from standing or is it just the dumb random priority system the game likes to assign to one player or another?
Enhanced cartwheel seems pretty good for shitting on anything that anyone wants to do, ever. Give that a go!

streetsweep187

Kneel before me
What's the best way to get in against heavy zoneing like kenshi ..but most of all what are some good frametraps if any to insure I stay in once I get in?

Justice

Noob
Once you get in, it's all about MS shenanigans. I'm told that MS 3 in the corner is a good frame trap to use.

As far as getting in, I struggle with that too. Your best friends here are your ability to read your opponents, Dash Blocks and :en Kartwheel.