What's new

Any bassists on TYM?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Anyone have good tips for three finger picking? Ive been trying to get into it but have been stuck on it for a few weeks.

Edit: Any good tips for slap bass would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I've tried playing Mother Man so many time but I just can't get it down.
Most of it is pretty simple tbh, the only part that takes a lot of work if you're not used to it is the end tapping part, since you have to keep the one base rhythm through it. Once you get that down it's really fun though.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Anyone have good tips for three finger picking? Ive been trying to get into it but have been stuck on it for a few weeks.

It's hard for me to give advice on slap other than to keep working at it. You get it eventually.

For 3 finger picking, when you first start out you can get stuck doing triplets by accident rather than keeping the right rhythm. I don't know which technique is used most, but I go 3-2-1-3-2-1 rather rather than 1-2-3-1-2-3 or 3-2-1-2-3 for the fingers. Two-finger picking is easy because it naturally falls into 4/4 or 2/4 signatures, so with 3-finger picking you have to sort of think of each note you pick individually rather than just alternating the fingers, otherwise you'll fall into a triplet mindset. But, just like everything else, it will eventually feel more natural and you won't have to adjust as much when switching between two and three.

*edit* mentally, 3-2-1-2-3 is probably easier because the alternation doesn't change in basic rhythms, it's just harder on the fingers imo. Since you're going 3-2, 1-2, 3-2, 1-2, whereas I go 3-2, 1-3, 2-1, 3-2

Last edited:

Error

DF2+R2
Most of it is pretty simple tbh, the only part that takes a lot of work if you're not used to it is the end tapping part, since you have to keep the one base rhythm through it. Once you get that down it's really fun though.
Yeah, I just struggle transitioning between different parts, my fretting hand is still pretty slow.

Zoidberg747

It's hard for me to give advice on slap other than to keep working at it. You get it eventually.

For 3 finger picking, when you first start out you can get stuck doing triplets by accident rather than keeping the right rhythm. I don't know which technique is used most, but I go 3-2-1-3-2-1 rather rather than 1-2-3-1-2-3 or 3-2-1-2-3 for the fingers. Two-finger picking is easy because it naturally falls into 4/4 or 2/4 signatures, so with 3-finger picking you have to sort of think of each note you pick individually rather than just alternating the fingers, otherwise you'll fall into a triplet mindset. But, just like everything else, it will eventually feel more natural and you won't have to adjust as much when switching between two and three.

*edit* mentally, 3-2-1-2-3 is probably easier because the alternation doesn't change in basic rhythms, it's just harder on the fingers imo. Since you're going 3-2, 1-2, 3-2, 1-2, whereas I go 3-2, 1-3, 2-1, 3-2
Ive been doing 3-2-1-1-2-3. I think its getting me in the triplet mindset though, i'll definitely try out those finger patterns out, thanks.

As far as slap goes I finally found a video explaining the proper way to place your hand so that's coming on pretty well.

Zoidberg747

Anyone have any good instructional videos by professional bassists? I know Victor Wooten does a lot of videos but am wondering if there are other good ones.

I posted a metal one with Bryan Beller but I also think this one with Alex Webster(one of the best metal bassists IMO) is solid:

Error

DF2+R2
Anyone have any good instructional videos by professional bassists? I know Victor Wooten does a lot of videos but am wondering if there are other good ones.

I posted a metal one with Bryan Beller but I also think this one with Alex Webster(one of the best metal bassists IMO) is solid:

I have Webster's extreme metal bass book which I found pretty useful in some areas.

Low frequencies tend to be omnidirectional and not behave accordingly to certain wave patterns.

- A truth behind finger style is to work on silencing tones properly and muting. Even if your picking hand is slow, when you manage to control the ending and pauses, you are a solid bassist.

- If you are not doing it already, this: Your thumb should always rest on the above string of the one you play at the moment. That way you totally mute the fatter strings who are in slight motion because of the vibrations.

- Stick to the powerful beats of the bar. Also, simplify your melodies and licks. This helps to cut through the mix, and offer a groovy feeling.

- Less is more. Really

Can't offer anything for slap. Never developed the technique.

Hope I helped you a little bit bro.

Zoidberg747

Low frequencies tend to be omnidirectional and not behave accordingly to certain wave patterns.

- A truth behind finger style is to work on silencing tones properly and muting. Even if your picking hand is slow, when you manage to control the ending and pauses, you are a solid bassist.

- If you are not doing it already, this: Your thumb should always rest on the above string of the one you play at the moment. That way you totally mute the fatter strings who are in slight motion because of the vibrations.

- Stick to the powerful beats of the bar. Also, simplify your melodies and licks. This helps to cut through the mix, and offer a groovy feeling.

- Less is more. Really

Can't offer anything for slap. Never developed the technique.

Hope I helped you a little bit bro.
I tried resting my thumb on the string above it but it always screwed me up. I usually just mute with my index finger when I change strings or with the fretting hand, depends on the part.

Other stuff I agree with though, good stuff.

Zoidberg747

I got a 1979 Japanese P-Bass copy. I have still yet to play another bass that I like better than this.

I started with playing along to drums using my thumb/slap for the kick drum and finger/pull for the snare to get the feel of it.
My friend has a bass that looks exactly the same as this. Dont think its a japanese model though.

Zoidberg747

Everyone and their mother has a bass that resembles that one in some way lol.
I guess, I dont really pay attention to models and that kind of thing. I didnt realize I had a good bass until one of my friends told me lol.

Zoidberg747

Crystal Mountain and then probably most of Spiritual Healing, especially the title track.
I forgot to say thanks for recommending that Alex Webster book, great stuff.

Anyone have any progress/songs worth sharing? Or anything to make this thread not die again?

Zoidberg747

What strings does everyone use? One of mine snapped and they were all pretty worn anyway. Looking for a good metal sound, thanks.

Error

DF2+R2
What strings does everyone use? One of mine snapped and they were all pretty worn anyway. Looking for a good metal sound, thanks.
D'adario when I'm broke, not really a fan of them. Circle K(now known as Kallium) when I have cash. Kallium are without a doubt the best bass string manufacturer, especially if you're looking for longer scales lengths and thicker gauges.

Zoidberg747

Does anyone know the best gauge type for Jazz playing? Im going to be in Jazz Band next semester and want to get a good sound from the strings.

Zoidberg747

Since this thread's been empty for two weeks I thought I might start a little interesting discussion. If you had to name 5 of your favorite bassists of all time, who would they be?

Mine:
1. Dan Briggs- Between the Buried and Me
2. Arif Mirabdolbaghi- Protest the Hero
3. Alex Webster- Cannibal Corpse
4. John Entwistle- The Who
5. Paul McCartney- The Beatles

Different question, if you had to name 5 bassists that you think deserve more exposure, who would they be?

Henrik Linder- Dirty Loops

Damon Mckinnon- Twelve Foot Ninja

Adam Richards- Mandroid Echostar

Dominic Lapointe- Beyond Creation

Corey Archuletsa- Allegaeon