What's new

Any bassists on TYM?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Also my two favorite songs to just play to whenever I'm bored. Worth learning if you like cool stuff that probably sounds harder than it is:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Dan Briggs is the reason I picked up bass in the first place

I play a 5 string version of this (Laguna Ocean TB75, can't show mine exactly since it's not in NY right now)

I also have an LTD TA200 (the Tom Araya one) and had an Ocean acoustic bass that I recently sold for Evo money lol

I'm all about finger picking. I know a lot of metal bassists will go pick but it's like blasphemy to me unless it's needed for certain techniques.
I agree with the Dan Briggs sentiment.

Ive been working on the Bryan Beller technique for fast playing(around 1:50):

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I'm all about finger picking. I know a lot of metal bassists will go pick but it's like blasphemy to me unless it's needed for certain techniques.
It's true, there are very few pickstyle bassists I would call great and most had their own distinct style. Pick is very limiting and you can get a similar sound slapping and popping. I guess in like post-rock/indie/punk you kinda need that grit and most of them are just playing a few notes anyways so it works better.

Also yeah Dan Briggs is godlike

Zoidberg747

It's true, there are very few pickstyle bassists I would call great and most had their own distinct style. Pick is very limiting and you can get a similar sound slapping and popping. I guess in like post-rock/indie/punk you kinda need that grit and most of them are just playing a few notes anyways so it works better.

Also yeah Dan Briggs is godlike
The only good reason for using a pick is to get a sharper tone, slapping and popping kind of gives a similar one but it still isnt the same(not to mention slapping and popping is hard as balls).

I use both personally but I only use a pick when the song doesnt sound right without it or I want a different sound.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young

That's interesting, I don't know if it'd be worth it for me though. I usually 3-finger pick for those things and it's worked out fine so far.

Zoidberg747

That's interesting, I don't know if it'd be worth it for me though. I usually 3-finger pick for those things and it's worked out fine so far.
If you already three finger pick it wouldnt be much use but ive found this much easier to learn than 3 finger picking.

Error

DF2+R2
Also my two favorite songs to just play to whenever I'm bored. Worth learning if you like cool stuff that probably sounds harder than it is:

I've tried playing Mother Man so many time but I just can't get it down.

Anyone want to share songs they like to play recently? These for me:
This is the latest song I've learned, I already know how to play half this album because I love the bass in it so much lol.

Error

DF2+R2

I've seen that technique used by a local bassist to try and emulate a tremolo picked tone during a song.
Something that I really want to learn is sweeping.

At 1:40, also, I approve of his use of a pick. I actually find playing with a pick harder.

Zoidberg747

For metal I usually play a lot of In Flames stuff:

Really good for getting faster finger speed, at least for me.

Error

DF2+R2
As far as metal bass playing goes, I think this dude is at the pinnacle of the technical aspect. Like...sweep arpeggios on 6-string bass fuck that.

Yeah, he has great technique, although he often admits to struggling with groove and whatnot. His stuff in Spawn of Possession is Amazing.

Also, just for pure technique, Viraemia's bassist is crazy, although annoying to listen to after a while
this is a cover, but I'm posting it because this guy's channel is amazing and he's definitely influenced me some.

Zoidberg747

Yeah, he has great technique, although he often admits to struggling with groove and whatnot. His stuff in Spawn of Possession is Amazing.

Also, just for pure technique, Viraemia's bassist is crazy, although annoying to listen to after a while
this is a cover, but I'm posting it because this guy's channel is amazing and he's definitely influenced me some.
I never thought of sweeping with just one finger going up. Still probably couldnt do it, but thats interesting.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Lazy fingerstyle bassists don't wanna speedpick...lol.
What exactly do you mean by that? 3 and 4 finger picking styles can get way faster than you can with a pick, as can certain slap techniques (Like the "double thumb" technique Wooten made popular) and with a lot less effort too. In all honesty the only reasons to use a pick would be either if:
-You prefer the sound it produces (I do not, but that's opinion)
or
-You find it easier to play with

The only good reason for using a pick is to get a sharper tone, slapping and popping kind of gives a similar one but it still isnt the same(not to mention slapping and popping is hard as balls).

I use both personally but I only use a pick when the song doesnt sound right without it or I want a different sound.
Slapping and popping is really only hard if you learned the wrong technique. I know I was having an absurd amount of trouble with it at first because I was holding my hand wrong and essentially making myself work 3x harder than I had to. Once a teacher showed me the proper way to do it, it became fairly easy to do.

In all honesty, for anyone who plays bass/wants to learn, I would suggest checking out MarlowDK's youtube channel for low and intermediate level bass tutorials and techniques, and checking out any of the MANY free lessons/exercises/techniques Victor Wooten has put online for anyone who's more advanced.

Regardless of level (Or even what instrument you play), I also suggest reading this book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Music-Lesson-Spiritual-Through/dp/0425220931
It is really informative, well written and surprisingly very interesting, unlike most music books.

Also yeah, I mention/recommend a lot of Wooten stuff, but even beyond being a strong musical influence on me, he is one of the most dedicated musicians I have ever seen in terms of helping others get better. Every year he personally holds Bass Camps and open jams, he has a billion tutorials online that he put out for free, etc.

Also since I didn't mention it before, I live and die by Ibanez' Soundgear series. I have a SR-370 right now and I absolutely love it (To the point where I'm going to sell my other bass since I haven't used it in years). That said, since most of you guys sound like you're into metal, this bass is probably not the best one for that genre.

Zoidberg747

In all honesty, for anyone who plays bass/wants to learn, I would suggest checking out MarlowDK's youtube channel for low and intermediate level bass tutorials and techniques, and checking out any of the MANY free lessons/exercises/techniques Victor Wooten has put online for anyone who's more advanced.
Ive watched some of his videos, pretty good.

I usually go to Josh Fossgreen, he has some really good tutorials and usually ends them by applying them to a different genre, like so:

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Victor Wooten is god. And I own an SR406 and I'm not sold on it, I hear the BTB series is much better for metal and I plan on saving up for one.
I would strongly suggest trying out the BTB series (Or any instrument in general) in a shop before buying it. As good as a bass can be, not every bass is made for every style. For example, I know Warwick basses are amazing instruments, but I have yet to find one that sounds right when mixed with my playstyle, and TBH I can make a cheap Ibanez SDGR, Traben or Fender Jazz bass sound better than an expensive Warwick/Gibson/Vox/etc.

Ive watched some of his videos, pretty good.

I usually go to Josh Fossgreen, he has some really good tutorials and usually ends them by applying them to a different genre, like so:

I'm 40 seconds into the video and already sold. Thanks for showing me yet another great bassist!

BTW, if anyone ever wants to share bassists they listen to, I can always add to that ever growing library of mine.

Edit: Wow as I get further into the video that is a technique I did not know. Stealing the shit out of that.

DOUBLE EDIT:

HOLY SHIT TY @Zoidberg747 !
This gets all caps because at the end he hit some notes close enough to a Stanley Clarke song that I FINALLY see how the hell he does one of his signature techniques; Clarke does a 4 finger version of that technique in the video.
Welp, time to grind out bass stuff again. Thank you for motivating me to actually practice technique again (And hopefully start playing more often again instead of just the occasional improvisation I've been doing these last few months).

Last edited:

Error

DF2+R2
I would strongly suggest trying out the BTB series (Or any instrument in general) in a shop before buying it. As good as a bass can be, not every bass is made for every style. For example, I know Warwick basses are amazing instruments, but I have yet to find one that sounds right when mixed with my playstyle, and TBH I can make a cheap Ibanez SDGR, Traben or Fender Jazz bass sound better than an expensive Warwick/Gibson/Vox/etc.
Yeah, it's the safe way to go, but unfortunately most music shops are too far away from me/don't carry the brands I'm interested in. (I have yet to find a warwick/spector or even a fretless bass in any of the shops I've been in.) BTB seems to have the specs I like though.

Funnily enough, I love the tone I get from my Silvertone LB11, which was a cheap starter bass I bought on Amazon for $150 including small amp and accessories, and I think it plays extremely well. It was my first bass and it's needless to say I never tried it before buying. I just wish there was a 5 string version of it with 24 frets.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Yeah, it's the safe way to go, but unfortunately most music shops are too far away from me/don't carry the brands I'm interested in. (I have yet to find a warwick/spector or even a fretless bass in any of the shops I've been in.) BTB seems to have the specs I like though.

Funnily enough, I love the tone I get from my Silvertone LB11, which was a cheap starter bass I bought on Amazon for $150 including small amp and accessories, and I think it plays extremely well. It was my first bass and it's needless to say I never tried it before buying. I just wish there was a 5 string version of it with 24 frets.
Wow, guess I'm lucky then. My local Guitar Center has a constantly changing stock and for the more expensive basses they apparently ship them in for a few weeks then send them to other stores to get people interested in the brands. About an hour away I also have a shop with more expensive/rare instruments that will specifically order things for you if you show interest in purchasing them.

That said I did not have as much luck with my starter bass. That thing sounded like it drowned in dog doodoo.