What's new

Any bassists on TYM?

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I really like the Dirty Loops video you put up, but I'm a bit less hot on the other ones.

As for favorite bassists, in no particular order:

-Marcus Miller
-Victor Wooten
-Les Claypool
-Larry Graham

After that it's tough to really pick a favorite, but maybe Stuart Hamm?

As for bassists that need more exposure, well here comes a list:

1) Alain Carron for sure.

Actually he's definitely near the edge of my top 5 as well.

2) Garaj Mahal.

Somehow I keep forgetting about this guy, but he is fuckin' awesome!

3) Whoever the bassist for Slave is.

If you like Funk, it doesn't get much funkier than this:

Can't believe I didn't know about them when they were still together! ARG!

4) Psychostick's Bassist.

They're something of a joke band, but their bassist is actually pretty damn good. Also the group itself is awesome.

5) Abraham Laboriel

I don't see a whole lot of material from this guy, but when I do it doesn't disappoint. Also he is straight up making love to his instrument when he plays.

6) Bill Dickens

This guy's technique is ridiculous, although I admit I can only listen to him in small amounts. That said he is very impressive.

Okay last one for now...

7) Fingersmorean

This guy comes from youtube but has managed to go on tour in Canada and release an album thanks to his youtube following. He's pretty damn good and has an original style, although he's been inactive for a long time now unfortunately...

Fromundaman

I write too much.
@Fromundaman I see you like slap bassists. That psychostick video was pretty funny, will have to check them out.
That I do.
I tend to like any good bassist, but slap bassists tend to be my favorite, maybe because I like funk where those are prominent.

That said a good tap bassist is really impressive to me, especially since I can't tap to save my life.

Oddly enough though, despite the fact that I love slap bass and play in that style often, all of my best composed pieces are plucked (Though most of my improvisations include slap).

EDIT:

Also Psychostick is great. I think my favorite song of theirs is "This is not a song, it's a sandwich!".

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
That I do.
I tend to like any good bassist, but slap bassists tend to be my favorite, maybe because I like funk where those are prominent.

That said a good tap bassist is really impressive to me, especially since I can't tap to save my life.

Oddly enough though, despite the fact that I love slap bass and play in that style often, all of my best composed pieces are plucked (Though most of my improvisations include slap).

EDIT:

Also Psychostick is great. I think my favorite song of theirs is "This is not a song, it's a sandwich!".
If you like slap bass I would check out the bassist for Sick Puppies. They are pretty run of the mill rock but Emma Anzai has some pretty cool slap bass lines.

Bass solo starts at about 4:00 mins

Zoidberg747

Do you know of any good slap bass songs to learn? I find I get more motivated to use a technique if I find a song that I can play or at least work up to playing.

P.S. I already know Higher Ground(which seems to be the answer I get from everyone else)

Error

DF2+R2
Do you know of any good slap bass songs to learn? I find I get more motivated to use a technique if I find a song that I can play or at least work up to playing.

P.S. I already know Higher Ground(which seems to be the answer I get from everyone else)

Good luck :p

I'm late! I'll answer on everything lol

-Elixir Strings: Crystal clear sound ( if preferred), extremely long lifespan if maintained properly
-Light gauge strings tend to be used mostly in jazz music indeed. Also they are "easier" for your fret hand, resulting more confident playn'. Finally, they cut through the mix more than the fatter ones( and this is the most important)

5 fave bassists:

1. Jaco Pastorius
2. Roger Waters
3. Justin Chancellor
4. John Paul Jones
5. Tony Levin and Geddy Lee:D

I don't listen to Death Metal but huge props to the genre's bassists for takin' it many steps further. Alex Webster, The guy from Death whose name i can't recall, etc.

Last edited:

Error

DF2+R2
Ok, on bassists that I wish had more exposure

1. Roger Patterson - Atheist
Apparently the songs were written with his bass lines as a foundation, unfortunately he died before he got to record their second album, although he did write all the bass lines for it. He had some crazy finger speed. I'm sure that if he was still alive he'd be up there with guys like Alex Digiorgio and Alex Webster.

2. Sean Malone - Cynic
He's revered in the metal underground, but most metalheads don't seem to know who he is. He plays bass, fretless bass, and chapman stick and has played bass in all of Cynic's work. Another early fretless player in metal.

2. Sean Malone - Cynic
He's revered in the metal underground, but most metalheads don't seem to know who he is. He plays bass, fretless bass, and chapman stick and has played bass in all of Cynic's work. Another early fretless player in metal.

I've heard about this name and the band Cynic numerous times back in the day, but never had the chance to listen to them. I'm completely shocked and amazed. These lines are incredible. The whole composition is incredible.

Zoidberg747

I've heard about this name and the band Cynic numerous times back in the day, but never had the chance to listen to them. I'm completely shocked and amazed. These lines are incredible. The whole composition is incredible.
2. Sean Malone - Cynic
This is my favorite bassline of his, personally:

I love the sound of the fretless bass. Wish I could afford one lol.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Woah there's a lot more replies in here. I'll check everything else out later.

I actually don't learn techniques unless I improvise with them. I dislike learning other people's songs for some reason.

That said, I would suggest Larry Graham's "Hair". Not only does the bassline for the song sound sick, but it is all slap and not too hard technique-wise. I also believe you can find accurate sheet music of this online. I'm giving you the CD version since he puts all sorts of effects and does more with his live versions.

Error

DF2+R2
I always struggle with this type of pattern in riffs :(
Song is in 225 bpm, and I play finger pick if you're wondering btw

Zoidberg747

Shameless self promotion. This was me performing Spinning Wheel with my school Jazz band. You can actually hear the bass too(or at least I could).

Anyone else up to anything bass related lately?

Zoidberg747

Time for the monthly bumping of this thread. Anyone have anything they are working on and/or new bassists that they have come across?

For me:
  • Can finally play some Death songs
  • Working on slap and using it in a metal context
  • Working on fingerstyle playing
  • Working on tapping
  • Trying to start writing solo bass songs
As for new bassists that have been inspiring me recently:

I probably am wasting my breath but it is 2 in the morning and I cant sleep, so ive been playing/listening to bass all night. Felt like the right time to bump this again.