What's new

Any bassists on TYM?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I know this could kind of coincide with the guitar thread but since the two are so different I thought having a bass thread would be better.

Ive been playing on and off for about a year now, although I only really started getting into it the past 6 months.

Feel free to post gear, favorites, theory, whatever

Ill start with a question, do you play with fingers or pick? (Slap could be a third option)

Last edited:

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Yup. I've only been playing bass for nearly two years now I think. It was easy to pick up since I've been playing guitar so long. I even put in the time to learn how to sight read as well. Much easier on bass.

An original Fender Precision. great! is it vintage?

I have developed my finger style much more through the years but i always use a pick for aggressive tones or fuzz chords.

it's like: Fingers Vs. Pick =7-3 MU

Zoidberg747

An original Fender Precision. great! is it vintage?

I have developed my finger style much more through the years but i always use a pick for aggressive tones or fuzz chords.

it's like: Fingers Vs. Pick =7-3 MU
Its a 1990 model.

I agree with the pick giving more aggressive tones, I definitely tend to favor fingers more often like you though.

Error

DF2+R2
Been playing a little more than 2 years, just recently acquired a 6 string which has been fun/challenging.

I've tried learning pick-style, but it just hasn't worked out for me, so I'm strictly finger style, and I do dable in slapping and popping, which I think fits extremely well with death metal. I'll post a video I made for myself in a bit.

Last edited:

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I have an Ibenez 4-string and a Brownsville 6-string that's actually ok for being a no-name brand (I'm lefty so my options are very limited).

Been playing for like 8 or 9 years now. I got super into Primus when I was like 15 and it was all downhill from there. Nowadays I play more drums than guitar/bass but I still like to pick it up and play something lame like Rush or BTBAM.

I play mostly metal, but have been trying to branch out. Ive been working on some slap and pop to maybe get in to some funk stuff but that is a work in progress. Also dabble in jazz and blues stuff.

You?

Mostly progressive and heavy rock. Been into blues and jazz because of studies in the past as well.
I do not play Slap even if i'd love so, ah…
from 17-23 i ve played in local metal and hardcore punk bands.
I had a crazy teacher some years ago especially for the fretless bass who taught me a little about eastern music theory... what a dude!

do you take any lessons or classes?

Zoidberg747

Mostly progressive and heavy rock. Been into blues and jazz because of studies in the past as well.
I do not play Slap even if i'd love so, ah…
from 17-23 i ve played in local metal and hardcore punk bands.
I had a crazy teacher some years ago especially for the fretless bass who taught me a little about eastern music theory... what a dude!

do you take any lessons or classes?
I used to take lessons from a friend for a while, but it got to the point where I knew more than he did.

Id like to take lessons from a real teacher this summer.

Error

DF2+R2
If you've never listened to Colors, listen to Colors. They're a very good band just on the techdeathy side, which I get not everyone is into.
I can't find them on The Metal Archives, are they even real? :DOGE

Can you link me to any of their songs, Colors is too general a name lol.

I used to take lessons from a friend for a while, but it got to the point where I knew more than he did.

Id like to take lessons from a real teacher this summer.
Good choice! even a few lessons with a real teacher help understand a lot about the philosophy of the instrument.

So you enjoy the bass so far?

Error

DF2+R2
If you've never listened to Colors, listen to Colors. They're a very good band just on the techdeathy side, which I get not everyone is into.
I do listen to a lot of techdeath, although it's probably very different from the BTBAM style tech.