What's new

Zangief General Discussion Thread

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I don't blame you. A good Birdie can be as tough as Dhalsim. That goddamn banana....

Personally I would pick Alex or Birdie. They have longer limbs than Gief and more options further out. Mika is easily zoned out too, so you'll probably find her bad match ups as bad Giefs.
It's Alex then bro, lol. I will of course still work on Zangief, but for right now he is banned from ranked.

Guys honestly since SF V came out I was one of the first to mention how weak he was, I mean I can't believe Capcom doesn't realize that not only do they hinder him by not allowing at least to finish a combo but everything about him is hard. His moves are harder than the rest of the casts, his super is hell especially for beginners, his lariat is weak really. He is the one character that I believe needs buffs...bad.

Guys honestly since SF V came out I was one of the first to mention how weak he was, I mean I can't believe Capcom doesn't realize that not only do they hinder him by not allowing at least to finish a combo but everything about him is hard. His moves are harder than the rest of the casts, his super is hell especially for beginners, his lariat is weak really. He is the one character that I believe needs buffs...bad.
Nothing is going to change in this game until after the pro tour has ended (except for the bugs) and honestly I have no idea on how Capcom will do this, I just hope they give him the stuff he needs to compete with the rest of the cast.

Nothing is going to change in this game until after the pro tour has ended (except for the bugs) and honestly I have no idea on how Capcom will do this, I just hope they give him the stuff he needs to compete with the rest of the cast.
I feel their commitment to the game's balance is sincere, so I'm optimistic he'll get the buffs he needs. It's not like he even needs that many. If the v skill hit was quicker and could interupt attacks in place that his jabs can't, then I feel he'd be closer to how they intended him to be.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Cool. Check out Shadaloo Bootcamp if you haven't already. Whatshisname did a really comprehensive set of videos on Alex.
I have not seen it and I absolutely will check it out, thank you for sharing!.

I feel their commitment to the game's balance is sincere, so I'm optimistic he'll get the buffs he needs. It's not like he even needs that many. If the v skill hit was quicker and could interupt attacks in place that his jabs can't, then I feel he'd be closer to how they intended him to be.
I absolutely agree, I think the balance in this game is already stellar and I think the SFV team will address any issues that come up. And I know, Zangief is like two or three things away from being just as good as everyone else, lol. Right on the cusp!

I just hope certain eople in the Capcom team like Combofiend do not have a big influence as I feel that he has a major bias against grapplers.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Ok, so after losing ALL of my points I just couldn't stay away and am now playing the Cyclone in Ranked again. These two matches I feel demonstrate how shitty he is. I read so hard I was sweating and look at how well it worked. Almost everything worked. It's a good thing this guy had no clue how to fight Zangief or I would have been in way more trouble.

What do you mean? You mean on reaction and hit Guile?
Yeah on reaction, I guess my reactions are poop but I think his recovery is faster than the VTrigger startup.
Nice vid btw. I saw your rbg whiff while Laura was walking back in the first 30 seconds which looked stupid for some reason.

Yeah on reaction, I guess my reactions are poop but I think his recovery is faster than the VTrigger startup.
Nice vid btw. I saw your rbg whiff while Laura was walking back in the first 30 seconds which looked stupid for some reason.
Have you tested it in training mode? I think it's possible, I have reacted with it offline, but then there is a chance that my opponent wasn't blocking afterwards, instead opting you do his hop to pressure the easily pressured grappler. It might be a really tight window, too tight for online.

Have you tested it in training mode? I think it's possible, I have reacted with it offline, but then there is a chance that my opponent wasn't blocking afterwards, instead opting you do his hop to pressure the easily pressured grappler. It might be a really tight window, too tight for online.
What is the frame data for each boom?

If the recovery is faster than 27 frames, then yeah it will be very tight to punish.
EDIT: Normal Booms are 10f startup and 28f recovery, EX is 10f startup and 26f recovery.

Last edited:
If the recovery is faster than 27 frames, then yeah it will be very tight to punish.
EDIT: Normal Booms are 10f startup and 28f recovery, EX is 10f startup and 26f recovery.
Very tight then. I wasn't able to do the math as v frames hadn't been updated yet. It has start up at 13 and active/recovery as '-'.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Bless you sir, for picking that up without me pointing it out. I actually yelled "what the fuck!?" What a joke.

Also, yes, you can V-trigger Sonic Booms and no, your reactions are not terrible. The recovery is fucking crazy (yet still longer than 4). You have to be in their face for the cyclone to catch them before Guile recovers, so it's basically impossible.

LOL I just got wrecked double perfect vs Guile, seriously what the hell do you do against that?
EDIT: I am also calling it now, every DLC character will beat Gief in the matchups

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
LOL I just got wrecked double perfect vs Guile, seriously what the hell do you do against that?
EDIT: I am also calling it now, every DLC character will beat Gief in the matchups
7-3, easy bro. It might be 8-2. Totally agree looking at the new characters we are so unbelievably FUCKED.

With Guile, I have no clue what to do. You can't get in. It's even worse than 4. Can you upload the matches? I'll be happy to commiserate with you.

7-3, easy bro. It might be 8-2. Totally agree looking at the new characters we are so unbelievably FUCKED.

With Guile, I have no clue what to do. You can't get in. It's even worse than 4. Can you upload the matches? I'll be happy to commiserate with you.
Yeah it was in casual match but yeah it was so dumb there was no option. I have it uploading now.

I don't really play zangief but I imagine playing against a Guile to be a really bad matchup, if not ridiculously bad and hard.
To Capcom: please give Gief some sort of wind wall that goes across the screen like a fireball when he does his lariat, thanks.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Yeah it was in casual match but yeah it was so dumb there was no option. I have it uploading now.
Awesome man, thanks for sharing. I have a friend who is an amazing player (dude is Platinum with Zangief. Enough said) he picked up Guile to show me the match. He broke down each situation and basically you can't get in if they know about three moves. Let alone if they pressure you.

You know in the FGC if you say your character sucks, everyone just says you cry and should practice. But I think it's hilarious that everyone agrees Zangief is shit, lol.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I don't really play zangief but I imagine playing against a Guile to be a really bad matchup, if not ridiculously bad and hard.
To Capcom: please give Gief some sort of wind wall that goes across the screen like a fireball when he does his lariat, thanks.
The disciples of Muscle Spirit thank you sir for your kind words ;)