What's new

Zangief General Discussion Thread

Does anybody have any actual meaty set ups for Gief that don't require a crush counter sweep? After testing against Necali's wake up jab, it appears that Gief's pressure after SPD's is non-existent. I could get a crush counter HP set up after a heavy Siberian express, but when the hell am I going to land that in a match?

Does anybody have any actual meaty set ups for Gief that don't require a crush counter sweep? After testing against Necali's wake up jab, it appears that Gief's pressure after SPD's is non-existent. I could get a crush counter HP set up after a heavy Siberian express, but when the hell am I going to land that in a match?
Yeah you need to use EX SPD for the better positioning. I usually use headbutt since on hit you and combo 2 headbutts for massive stun. If you are going to try and set up meaties, your best bet would be to do it after a sweep or lariat.

Yeah you need to use EX SPD for the better positioning. I usually use headbutt since on hit you and combo 2 headbutts for massive stun. If you are going to try and set up meaties, your best bet would be to do it after a sweep or lariat.
So I'm right in my assessment that the regular SPD's lead to nothing? You can dash in and V Skill, but it's a gimmick and easily beaten, so I won't be doing that.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
doing the characters trials has made me realized that you people are either gluttons for punishment or crazy... LOL
Zangief players must really love this character because boy is he hard to master.....

MetalBender

Nerf everything forever
So I'm right in my assessment that the regular SPD's lead to nothing? You can dash in and V Skill, but it's a gimmick and easily beaten, so I won't be doing that.
It depends on what SPD you do, light followed by a dash puts you at a disadvantage so theres nothing there, but heavy and ex put you at like +2 or something so you could try and do like st.lk lariat if you're feeling ballsy or Cr.lp tick throw or something like that. Nothing big guaranteed for pressure tho cause wake up jab would beat out any other meaty

It depends on what SPD you do, light followed by a dash puts you at a disadvantage so theres nothing there, but heavy and ex put you at like +2 or something so you could try and do like st.lk lariat if you're feeling ballsy or Cr.lp tick throw or something like that. Nothing big guaranteed for pressure tho cause wake up jab would beat out any other meaty
I tested c.lp against Necali's quick rise c.lp and my c.lp was beat out by his every time. With heavy SPD I did a quick duck and then did the uncharged version of S.HP. Sometimes I got a crush counter and other times it whiffed, but I couldn't be certain what was causing the whiff, especially as when I did it too late at one point it got blocked.

What was interesting was that I was able to dash up and block the jab on a l.spd.

I've looked at SRK's frame data, but it doesn't have the quick rise or back roll KD frames. Without quick rise you get 71 KD for a light and 76 for the rest. Dash is apparently 25 frames from start to finish, and if it puts Gief at -2 like you said, then Necalli's jab must be coming out on frame 27 (start up 3 frames, 27 is the first active frame), allowing it to be blocked.

So, that means with quick rise, Gief gets 23 frames of KD advantage off of a light SPD, and 28 off of the others. Minus the 25 for the dash and he has 3 frames advantage. His quickest jab is 4 frames, so active on the fifth, and Necali would be active on the 7th, so....

C.lp should work. I'll test it again later.

(I typed this out as it came to me, sorry if I rambled on. Also, feel free to check my workings out)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I feel like I almost never got jabbed out of SPD in 4, but fuckers are just poking me out of grabs left and right in 5...

MetalBender

Nerf everything forever
I tested c.lp against Necali's quick rise c.lp and my c.lp was beat out by his every time. With heavy SPD I did a quick duck and then did the uncharged version of S.HP. Sometimes I got a crush counter and other times it whiffed, but I couldn't be certain what was causing the whiff, especially as when I did it too late at one point it got blocked.

What was interesting was that I was able to dash up and block the jab on a l.spd.

I've looked at SRK's frame data, but it doesn't have the quick rise or back roll KD frames. Without quick rise you get 71 KD for a light and 76 for the rest. Dash is apparently 25 frames from start to finish, and if it puts Gief at -2 like you said, then Necalli's jab must be coming out on frame 27 (start up 3 frames, 27 is the first active frame), allowing it to be blocked.

So, that means with quick rise, Gief gets 23 frames of KD advantage off of a light SPD, and 28 off of the others. Minus the 25 for the dash and he has 3 frames advantage. His quickest jab is 4 frames, so active on the fifth, and Necali would be active on the 7th, so....

C.lp should work. I'll test it again later.

(I typed this out as it came to me, sorry if I rambled on. Also, feel free to check my workings out)
Hmm... Well when I tested it out I did it against zangiefs jab on quick rise, and it beats it out clean on heavy spd so heavy is at least +1, which if it is then it should at least trade with necallis jab. I might lab it some more once I get home haha.

So messing about with the meaty headbutt more and it turns out that you can combo into what I have done so far:
Sweep
s.HK (Vtrigger cancel too :p)
another headbutt

No, you can only tick throw. You can combo into Super though.

SPD is 5 frames, jabs will beat them.
I struggle to land a regular spd, keep getting a jump and punch or a backwards jump punch. Man that has to be the hardest move in the game, now doing it twice for his super is pretty much impossible to me right now. Any tips on making it easier or is it just practice?

I struggle to land a regular spd, keep getting a jump and punch or a backwards jump punch. Man that has to be the hardest move in the game, now doing it twice for his super is pretty much impossible to me right now. Any tips on making it easier or is it just practice?
Due to the shortcuts in this game, you do not have to do a full 360 you can do this from facing right: :r:qtr:d:qtl:l then upback + punch or the reverse motion ending in upforward.
All you do really is practice, even in the videos I have I still mess it up at times.

It is just practice, although I actually found I have a harder time getting them to come out in V than I did in Ultra (probably because they came out in 2 frames, so you could do them a little slower on reaction and still get the punish).

It will help to practice the correct thing though. I've actually created an exercise for this exact purpose:

Reversal SPD Exercise

Preparation:

Using three slots, Ryu walking up to you and doing the following:

1) C.hk- neutral jump

2) c.lp-c.hk- neutral jump

3) c.lp-c.lp-c.hk-neutral jump

Hold up during the recovery of the c.hk to ensure Ryu jumps on the first available frame.

Exercise:

Attempt to reversal SPD each sweep before Ryu jumps. (Air SPD’s do not count, the goal is to catch Ryu in his grounded recovery).

The great thing about this exercise is that it teaches you to do SPD's from crouch block, which is not only a more common defensive position than stand block, but harder to pull off.

As for the actual technique there are two you can use.

1) Full 360.

Starting at down back, quickly go either clockwise or anti clockwise in a full circle and press punch.

Pros-

-Nice fluid motion
-One direction works for both sides, allowing for less muscle memory

Cons-

You can only do this when in block stun.

2) 180 plus an up movement

Requires you to go from down back, to back, then 180 through all of the downward points to forward, then to up forward or up (I prefer up forward).

Pros

-Can be done in or out of block stun
-You can delay the punch slightly to get an instant air spd if the recovery is less than 5 frames and your opponent has a tendency to jump.

Cons

-Not a single fluid motion
-Requires learning to do it from both sides

If you play on pad I can't help you with actual technique advice. Just find a way of positioning your thumb that works the best. If you play stick, watch Gootek's video on the correct way to hold one.

It is just practice, although I actually found I have a harder time getting them to come out in V than I did in Ultra (probably because they came out in 2 frames, so you could do them a little slower on reaction and still get the punish).

It will help to practice the correct thing though. I've actually created an exercise for this exact purpose:

Reversal SPD Exercise

Preparation:

1) C.hk- neutral jump

Hold up during the recovery of the c.hk to ensure Ryu jumps on the first available frame.

Exercise:

Attempt to reversal SPD each sweep before Ryu jumps. (Air SPD’s do not count, the goal is to catch Ryu in his grounded recovery).

The great thing about this exercise is that it teaches you to do SPD's from crouch block, which is not only a more common defensive position than stand block, but harder to pull off.

1) Full 360.

Starting at down back, quickly go either clockwise or anti clockwise in a full circle and press punch.

Pros-

-Nice fluid motion

Cons-

Requires you to go from down back, to back, then 180 through all of the downward points to forward, turn up forward or up (I prefer up forward).

Pros

-You can delay the punch slightly to get an instant air spd if the recovery is less than 5 frames and your opponent has a tendency to jump.

Cons

If you play on pad I can't help you with actual technique advice. Just find a way of positioning your thumb that works the best. If you play stick, watch Gootek's video on the correct way to hold one.
I cannot stress how bloody great this is, Im gonna use this myself.

Due to the shortcuts in this game, you do not have to do a full 360 you can do this from facing right: :r:qtr:d:qtl:l then upback + punch or the reverse motion ending in upforward.
All you do really is practice, even in the videos I have I still mess it up at times.

Reversal SPD Exercise

Preparation:

1) C.hk- neutral jump

Exercise:

1) Full 360.

Pros-

-Nice fluid motion

Cons-

Requires you to go from down back, to back, then 180 through all of the downward points to forward, then to up forward or up (I prefer up forward).

Pros

Cons

Thanks guys for the tips, will try what both of you advised.