What's new

Zangief General Discussion Thread

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Also, I just stomped all over and up and down a Mika player and the realization that I only win because a) I have Reading Rainbow'd my opponent all to be damned or b) they clearly don't know the match up makes me really sad. I play with some really good players (so if y'all ever want some crazy hard matches, holler at me) and I'm not too bad myself, and I try really hard. But honestly this is tough. To be fair, I straight up quit Unbreakable Sub Zero because he was so shit, and clearly Zangief isn't that bad in 5, but man... The fucking Struggle is real.

Ok so this was found by Slaynman. You can cut off all options when using Ex SPD but less using heavy SPD only if they decide to block on wake up. It does lose to wake up jab and back dash but you can catch back dash with L SPD.
The inputs are: F, FD, D +MK, DB, B+LK, DB, D, DF, F, F+UF, U + PP

He also found out that you can do it with normal throw.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Man, that looks like a brutal matchup.

Here's Justin Wong opinion on Zangief.
Go to 1h04m55s

Thanks for sharing bro! Damn, it's so weird having everyone agree your character sucks! Misery loves company, lol. Totally agree with Floe about the tier list being condensed as well, and it's the only saving grace, lol.

Thanks for sharing bro! Damn, it's so weird having everyone agree your character sucks! Misery loves company, lol. Totally agree with Floe about the tier list being condensed as well, and it's the only saving grace, lol.
I think they should say how it is, instead of trying to balance it out or dismiss stuff.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I think they should say how it is, instead of trying to balance it out or dismiss stuff.
Also agreed. But he did say he's the worst in the game. And if he doesn't think we need help, tell him to get in the trenches! Also, that Guile video I promised I'd uploading.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Guile match. This guy took it easy on me I think.

Also, finally level 30 and an 11 win streak in ranked! I'm just pleased with myself.

Guile match. This guy took it easy on me I think.
Also, finally level 30 and an 11 win streak in ranked! I'm just pleased with myself.
I like your stand up game, I always seem to crouch a lot when fighting. There was a point in the Vega fight where you did a super on his landing which was awesome.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I like your stand up game, I always seem to crouch a lot when fighting. There was a point in the Vega fight where you did a super on his landing which was awesome.
Cool, thanks man! Yeah, I was waiting for that jump, lol. They usually don't jump twice!

What are you guys doing on wake up? I'm so lost whenever i get knocked down and Ex spd won't work evertime
Ex SPD will only work on throws and command grabs as it is throw invincible. If they are doing 2 hit meaties on your wake up (Ryus axe kick and solar plexus) you can V-Skill and punish. The best thing really is to just block or try to throw tech but you have to guess what they are going to do lol

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Ex SPD will only work on throws and command grabs as it is throw invincible. If they are doing 2 hit meaties on your wake up (Ryus axe kick and solar plexus) you can V-Skill and punish. The best thing really is to just block or try to throw tech but you have to guess what they are going to do lol
I completely agree with what is stated here @FrankOceansWaifu

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
@JJvercetti Hey homie, are you still having trouble with the Rashid match? I think I've got it mostly figured out. And do you know what to do with Karin, because I keep getting bashed?

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Ok, so as far at matches go, I have no clue what to do with Karin, and I'm convinced Laura is 7-3 along with Guile. I think Rashid is the easiest match for us because he does no damage and can be cornered and kept there with enough patience. No instant escapes. Still at 5-5. Bison and Necalli I feel are also 5-5. But honestly I think we beat no one. I'm with jjvercetti in that I run into a lot of matches rarely and do not get to practice. In a week when I get back from vacation I'm going to post my Rashid strategies here for review and testing. Thoughts?

I've had a bit of time away from playing Gief and I've come back to him. I still think he's the worst character, but I think that most of my problems were my problems, not his.

That said, time away playing more Necalli has shown me how ridiculously easy some characters have it. With Necalli all I need is a basic gameplan, but with ZanGrief it feels as though I need a gameplan plus intricate match up knowledge to boot. I don't mind, but it gets mentally draining during s long set.