What's new

Zangief General Discussion Thread

Ok, so as far at matches go, I have no clue what to do with Karin, and I'm convinced Laura is 7-3 along with Guile. I think Rashid is the easiest match for us because he does no damage and can be cornered and kept there with enough patience. No instant escapes. Still at 5-5. Bison and Necalli I feel are also 5-5. But honestly I think we beat no one. I'm with jjvercetti in that I run into a lot of matches rarely and do not get to practice. In a week when I get back from vacation I'm going to post my Rashid strategies here for review and testing. Thoughts?
I actually think Gief may actually beat Laura. The key to this matchup is being close enough to her so you can punish her fireball on reaction either with HK or L.SPD, Once they realise they cannot do that then they will start trying to throw your game off with dash shenanigans, jumps or the overhead kick thing.
Dashes and the overhead can be beat by c.lp if you are close enough and jumps if anti aired will put her into your mixups.
If she manages to get you in her mixups and you can read the reset attempt you can spd her as she is usually in range for her command grab only.
If you get knocked down you really have to vary your recovery etc or she will loop you to death, generally the best is the back recovery but you have to try and make that space back. Remember you have Ex Spd to wreck some of her throw attempts.

Edit: Forgot to add, watch out for her ex elbow. It has armor but is unsafe on block.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I've had a bit of time away from playing Gief and I've come back to him. I still think he's the worst character, but I think that most of my problems were my problems, not his.

That said, time away playing more Necalli has shown me how ridiculously easy some characters have it. With Necalli all I need is a basic gameplan, but with ZanGrief it feels as though I need a gameplan plus intricate match up knowledge to boot. I don't mind, but it gets mentally draining during s long set.
How was Necalli? I was thinking of picking him up for fun. And I'm with you on the Grief analysis, lol. Well put.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I actually think Gief may actually beat Laura. The key to this matchup is being close enough to her so you can punish her fireball on reaction either with HK or L.SPD, Once they realise they cannot do that then they will start trying to throw your game off with dash shenanigans, jumps or the overhead kick thing.
Dashes and the overhead can be beat by c.lp if you are close enough and jumps if anti aired will put her into your mixups.
If she manages to get you in her mixups and you can read the reset attempt you can spd her as she is usually in range for her command grab only.
If you get knocked down you really have to vary your recovery etc or she will loop you to death, generally the best is the back recovery but you have to try and make that space back. Remember you have Ex Spd to wreck some of her throw attempts.

Edit: Forgot to add, watch out for her ex elbow. It has armor but is unsafe on block.
I can't keep her in range. I play two Laura's regularly, and one of the guys I beat regularly and the other guy wins about 90% of our matches. He is damn near impossible to read, therefore you can't counter what he does. He uses Laura's dash to perfection. In fact, he is so good at it I'm convinced 99% of the Laura community is not playing her correctly. I'll record a set from us so I can show you what I mean. Basically, I fail to maintain the correct spacing against this guy, but he is so mobile and uses all of his tools so well I don't know what else to do. But I've been watching some of @JJvercetti and his uploads, and I'm borrowing some of your spacing tools (particularly your cr Jab usage) so we'll see if that helps.

I can't keep her in range. I play two Laura's regularly, and one of the guys I beat regularly and the other guy wins about 90% of our matches. He is damn near impossible to read, therefore you can't counter what he does. He uses Laura's dash to perfection. In fact, he is so good at it I'm convinced 99% of the Laura community is not playing her correctly. I'll record a set from us so I can show you what I mean. Basically, I fail to maintain the correct spacing against this guy, but he is so mobile and uses all of his tools so well I don't know what else to do. But I've been watching some of @JJvercetti and his uploads, and I'm borrowing some of your spacing tools (particularly your cr Jab usage) so we'll see if that helps.
The Laura I play regularly HATES Gief's c.lp and s.lp. You can shut down a lot of her pressure with those two moves. S.mk and Light elbow are -2, so you can do a jab string, jab-SPD, or jab-s.mp frame trap every time you block one. Takes some practice trying to react to that though. The record function really is your friend for that match up.

I'm have been recently watching my own replays on cfn with button presses just to check my input and stuff. I seem to press buttons during block strings and wake up which causes me to get CC'd a lot.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
The Laura I play regularly HATES Gief's c.lp and s.lp. You can shut down a lot of her pressure with those two moves. S.mk and Light elbow are -2, so you can do a jab string, jab-SPD, or jab-s.mp frame trap every time you block one. Takes some practice trying to react to that though. The record function really is your friend for that match up.
I will get on that, particularly the jab MP. I never do that, thank you!

I will get on that, particularly the jab MP. I never do that, thank you!
It's a good frame trap as it will beat 3 frame normals (which she has because she has boobs) and can stuff the start up of her armoured dash of it's not frame perfect, then on block it's +1, which is always nice.

My biggest issue with Laura atm is remembering to mix up my jab follow ups. I'm so focused on looking out for the s.mk or elbow that I just start jabbing without any thought as to a frame trap or a grab. My meaties are pretty poor too, and she's one of the few who are weak to them, so...

Sick guide man, thanks for sharing and thank you for all your hard work and effort! The quality really shows. Also, you were right about the Laura match up...
I did not write the guide I meant to say earlier but I am happy I can at least help with the Laura matchup.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I did not write the guide I meant to say earlier but I am happy I can at least help with the Laura matchup.
Oh, well if you know who did then tell them they did a fantastic job. And yes, you did tremendously. I was giving her too much respect. Even with my buddy and his incredible mobility, I was not using the right tools effectively. I kept trying to react and counter instead of contest. Now I see why you said Zangief beats Laura

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Thank you so much for your help with Laura! I meant to tell you that. I've gotten way better at it by changing my approach and my thought process.

Oh, well if you know who did then tell them they did a fantastic job. And yes, you did tremendously. I was giving her too much respect. Even with my buddy and his incredible mobility, I was not using the right tools effectively. I kept trying to react and counter instead of contest. Now I see why you said Zangief beats Laura
No worries man I still do that a lot too, it does not work for me lol.

All I have to say is this: fuck Juri. Her projectile beats lariat, makes jumping too risky, and is too slow to be neutral jumped. Her block strings go on forever, and the only thing you can do is v skill through the gaps. In fact, you have to v skill a lot of things in this match, especially if their ground game is solid, but one mistake and all that white life...

I think this will end up being close to the Dhalsim match up in terms of difficulty.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
All I have to say is this: fuck Juri. Her projectile beats lariat, makes jumping too risky, and is too slow to be neutral jumped. Her block strings go on forever, and the only thing you can do is v skill through the gaps. In fact, you have to v skill a lot of things in this match, especially if their ground game is solid, but one mistake and all that white life...

I think this will end up being close to the Dhalsim match up in terms of difficulty.
Haha, you've noticed that too huh? Every DLC character so far is a problem for Zangief, but this one is FUCKING BRUTAL. It's worse than Guile? What do you think. I can't decide...

Haha, you've noticed that too huh? Every DLC character so far is a problem for Zangief, but this one is FUCKING BRUTAL. It's worse than Guile? What do you think. I can't decide...
Yeah, I'd say so. She's on the level with Sim. I'd say it goes Sim, Juri, Guile/Nash as his three worst match ups. Possibly Fang too, but I haven't played enough Fang's to really get an idea of that one.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Yeah, I'd say so. She's on the level with Sim. I'd say it goes Sim, Juri, Guile/Nash as his three worst match ups. Possibly Fang too, but I haven't played enough Fang's to really get an idea of that one.
Don't even worry about F.A.N.G. buddy, it's not nearly that bad. It's just annoying. You can jump in, his little fireball trap to EX slide-escape-thing doesn't work because of reversal SPD, and he has to hit us 100 times to win. Of course he can keep us out and has way better frame advantage, but he can't keep pressure going ad infinitum like some people around here...

5-5 once you learn it I say!

So we only get 7-3'd four times? Damn we're awesome!!!.......... :(