What's new

"You're Fired!" -- Joker General Discussion Thread

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
And you cannot D2 a jump out of a crowbar, you must either wake up with a really fast wakeup which can be baited with empty jump, forward dash with certain dashes or block it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Can't believe this shit, day 2 of stick and I could play a game half seriously. I do think I have some serious remapping to do though...

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
I didn't grow up with an arcade near me or anything, so I've have pretty much NEVER used them. It's the most foreign feeling thing in the world to me.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Understandable. When I started on fighting games it was on Smash bros and Soul Calibur on consoles, so I went a log time playing on only controllers. Only switched to stick because MVC3 execution felt impossible on a pad. Felt weird at first but when I got used to it stick helped my execution a lot.
Since Joker is fairly execution heavy, I can't imagine playing him without a stick. Lex I can do on pad somewhat, but Joker is a lost cause when I play on pad.

StevoSuprem0

Yeah, the only execution issue I have is having fucking HLG come out when I do d1 pokes and try to follo up with b1, but that's more of an issue with the game engine, not my inputs (have to slow them down to avoid that crap, which isn't really an option...). Oh well.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
You gotta make sure you don't roll te joystick. Other wise you will get the hlg. If you sweep it like D DB B you will get HLG, it can be tricky after D1 to return to neutral to B1 but it gets easier with time and can be done quickly.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
You gotta make sure you don't roll te joystick. Other wise you will get the hlg. If you sweep it like D DB B you will get HLG, it can be tricky after D1 to return to neutral to B1 but it gets easier with time and can be done quickly.
Yeah I used to have trouble with this but now it's probably the thing I can do most consistently.

Now if only I could get the midscreen teeth loops down more consistently...

StevoSuprem0

I play on pad with normal controls, so I actually do get HLG just from a d1 b1 input. The only way around it is to delay things, or do 2 d1's (holding down the whole time) into b1, which is what I usually do. I should learn to play with alternate controls, and with stick, but that's a big time investment that I'm not sure I have in me... thinking about building a stick for fun though and starting to learn, though, because some friends of mine are getting into SF4 again and playing that on pad is the worst experience of my life. What are these fucking circle inputs?! :p

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I play on pad with normal controls, so I actually do get HLG just from a d1 b1 input. The only way around it is to delay things, or do 2 d1's (holding down the whole time) into b1, which is what I usually do. I should learn to play with alternate controls, and with stick, but that's a big time investment that I'm not sure I have in me... thinking about building a stick for fun though and starting to learn, though, because some friends of mine are getting into SF4 again and playing that on pad is the worst experience of my life. What are these fucking circle inputs?! :p
D1 B1 does not give me a rlg, I think you must be doing it too fast, no way a particular kind of inputs forces you to drop frametraps.

Stick I don't think is a big investment, everyone says you need a month or 2 to learn it and maybe more to get comfortable, I'm almost on pad lvl regarding execution in 5 days, 2 of which I only got to play for 2 hours. It has more to do with grips that people think, "whatever suits you" is a really bad thing to say, especially in the beginning.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
And tbh, pads aren't THAT bad. I play on a xbox pad just as well with a dualshock, just took me a month or so to be comfortable in IGAU and 2-3 in SF. The only things that require flawless and stick-like execution with pads is something like Tekken EWGFs/Taunt jet upper and Viper shit imo.

StevoSuprem0

D1 B1 does not give me a rlg, I think you must be doing it too fast, no way a particular kind of inputs forces you to drop frametraps.
I promise it does. That's how inputs work in this game. For instance, to do d2 into RLG or teeth, I just input d2->b2 or d2->b3. Works every time, and I like it in that instance, but it sucks for d1->b1 causing HLG to happen. I should clarify that this is on hit/block, NOT whiff; that won't work. Honestly, I just kinda wish that move was removed from the game lol. It's an incredibly sub par zoning tool, and tends to mess me up more than help me.
And tbh, pads aren't THAT bad. I play on a xbox pad just as well with a dualshock, just took me a month or so to be comfortable in IGAU and 2-3 in SF. The only things that require flawless and stick-like execution with pads is something like Tekken EWGFs/Taunt jet upper and Viper shit imo.
Yeah, I just haven't played any of that stuff at all; Injustice was the first fighting game that I really played and I am just more used to the NRS system.
My situation is I'm trying to play Hakan in AE, but the circular inputs for his command grabs give me a lot of problems. I keep jumping around the screen. Friends are learning to play on stick, and I think I might do the same because even the few matches I played started to feel a bit better/more consistent on stick. Either way, not going to put much time into it until the Ultra (or whatever it's called) version comes out.

Last edited:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I promise it does. That's how inputs work in this game. For instance, to do d2 into RLG or teeth, I just input d2->b2 or d2->b3. Works every time, and I like it in that instance, but it sucks for d1->b1 causing HLG to happen. I should clarify that this is on hit/block, NOT whiff; that won't work. Honestly, I just kinda wish that move was removed from the game lol. It's an incredibly sub par zoning tool, and tends to mess me up more than help me.

Yeah, I just haven't played any of that stuff at all; Injustice was the first fighting game that I really played and I am just more used to the NRS system.
My situation is I'm trying to play Hakan in AE, but the circular inputs for his command grabs give me a lot of problems. I keep jumping around the screen. Friends are learning to play on stick, and I think I might do the same because even the few matches I played started to feel a bit better/more consistent on stick. Either way, not going to put much time into it until the Ultra (or whatever it's called) version comes out.
NRS games require little to no execution, SF is a bit above but in no way requires great execution other than 3-4 characters ( and maybe another 1-2 if you wanna style Sako style ). It's something you get used to, pad doesn't really make that much of a difference

StevoSuprem0

NRS games require little to no execution, SF is a bit above but in no way requires great execution other than 3-4 characters ( and maybe another 1-2 if you wanna style Sako style ). It's something you get used to, pad doesn't really make that much of a difference
Yes. Because everyone has the exact same preferences in every game...

StevoSuprem0

I'm actually starting to find uses for HLG, but yeah, it is a sub par move.
Yeah, I'm not saying it has no use. If they see you move and jump on reaction, you can get 43% and a good amount of corner push, or end in an OTG setup for shenanigans. Does good damage and can be weird to dodge by those who aren't used to it.
But once people realize how easy it is to get around, with some characters being able to bop you ON REACTION to the startup, it's just not worth having.
I still can't figure out what possible reasoning they had for not reducing the startup frames in the last patch... you know, other than just not giving a shit about this character lol.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yes. Because everyone has the exact same preferences in every game...
What preferences are you talking about? You're telling me you won't get used to a pad, no matter how bad after X amount of time? I was playing SF4 crippled for at least 2 months because of the xbox pad.

StevoSuprem0

What preferences are you talking about? You're telling me you won't get used to a pad, no matter how bad after X amount of time? I was playing SF4 crippled for at least 2 months because of the xbox pad.
I'm saying I like the Xbox controller for Injustice and I think I like the stick better for SF, though my experience with the game in general is extremely limited, and that I think pad DOES make a different for some people (ergo, preference). If you describe your past 2 months as "crippled" by the pad, doesn't that go against what you're saying lol?
Bleh, screw it. I keep forgetting who I'm talking to. We are all the same, perfectly functioning robot gamers that do all things the same and can't possibly have differing opinions or styles.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'm saying I like the Xbox controller for Injustice and I think I like the stick better for SF, though my experience with the game in general is extremely limited, and that I think pad DOES make a different for some people (ergo, preference). If you describe your past 2 months as "crippled" by the pad, doesn't that go against what you're saying lol?
Bleh, screw it. I keep forgetting who I'm talking to. We are all the same, perfectly functioning robot gamers that do all things the same and can't possibly have differing opinions or styles.
My point isn't what's better, my point is you can get used to anything and that it makes little difference, not that there isn't any difference at all.