What's new

YOMI and Hype...

Death

Noob
Actually, second thought, your question here helps to prove my point. I (again seriously not trying to prop fish or brag) won a major and placed top 8 at another one, but I still have only one chance to place really well at the hardest tournament in the world for people to not question whether I'm good or not.

YOMI players could go out in pools at EVO and still be considered Here are three big problems to me:

1. Because the YOMI guys are considered the elite of the elite and they get to travel to so many tournaments, any tournament without them at it is going to be immediately considered not high level. We've seen this before, "But VSM isn't there! Does it really count?". Obviously this is BS, but people see it that way when they come to expect these top players to be at every tournament. This might be overall how YOMI hurts the scene more than anything else.

I mean hell, let's just say the YOMI bus breaks down very last minute and none of them can make it to EVO. Imagine that situation in your head. Now how viable of a tournament would EVO be to you? Would you still value it over Combo Breaker? CEO? Whether you admit it or not, I'm sure that you all would at least question it, and that's EVO... now imagine any tournament smaller than EVO... they would mean nothing.

2. Because the YOMI guys can travel to EVERY major, even if players step up to the plate and do better than YOMI players, they aren't going to get nearly as much recognition as them, unless they can do it at a good amount of majors.

I mean for example, look at Red Raptor. He placed really high at Combo Breaker, higher than almost all of the YOMI guys, but when people talk about top players, his name is almost never brought up. I swear I am 100% NOT fishing for props here, but I'm a great example too. Last time we saw me at a big major, I beat 2 people who are YOMI now (Slayer and REO), but if you were to ask people for a top 10 players list, I bet a ton of YOMI would both be on over 90% of lists and Red Raptor or I would be on less than 10%. I'm not saying that me or Red Raptor or whoever are better or worse than the YOMI guys right now, but the point is that players getting recognition is near impossible with the amount of exposure that these guys automatically get.

3. YOMI is creating an unrealistic standard for sponsorships in the NRS community. For anywhere even close to what they're offering these players, any other sponsor would ask the players to stream regularly, spread the brand somehow, or at least have a standard for placements which are all very normal things for sponsors. When those sponsors look at the scene and realize that it's impossible to compare to such an overly generous sponsor, they might decide that they can't come close to competing, and sponsor players from other games. Also the fact that literally nobody but Sonicfox can travel and consistently place next to YOMI at a good amount of majors means that no players that can only go to a few majors can get the exposure that might get them a sponsor.

Definitely willing to discuss any of these points.
Let me simplify it for you. Anything pre June is irrelevant. The game is constantly changing and players are constantly grinding.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I see what your saying about YOMI but their pretty impressive because their placing and leveling every week pretty much. If guys want props than they got to travel more and place.
Yup, that's exactly the point. How many people in the community are well off enough to be able to travel to as many majors as YOMI? Certainly not me. If I was to travel to every major YOMI has been to in the past month and a half, it would have costed me at least 4000$, which is WAY past any reasonable price range for me, and I would assume at least 99% of the rest of competitive players.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Actually, second thought, your question here helps to prove my point. I (again seriously not trying to prop fish or brag) won a major and placed top 8 at another one, but I still have only one chance to place really well at the hardest tournament in the world for people to not question whether I'm good or not.

YOMI players could go out in pools at EVO and still be considered top 10 because they've gotten so many chances already.
Placed top 8 at another one? Which?

Pig Of The Hut

YOMI players could go out in pools at EVO and still be considered top 10 because they've gotten so many chances already.
If no YOMI made top 8 Evo I'm 100% positive yomi wouldn't be considered top

I agree w commentary
My only issue with the commentary is Slayer saying "Hol up" about every 15 seconds.

Other than that, the commentary makes it fun. You and Michaelangelo tend to do a really good job on the commentary.

...Also, maybe don't let Pok Chop on commentary again. Everything in MKX is a gay to him lol

Pig Of The Hut

My only issue with the commentary is Slayer saying "Hol up" about every 15 seconds.

Other than that, the commentary makes it fun. You and Michaelangelo tend to do a really good job on the commentary.

...Also, maybe don't let Pok Chop on commentary again. Everything in MKX is a gay to him lol
Michael's commentary is great

NO ONE wants to hear HOL UP or the Jurassic park theme song sung for three hours

I agree w that

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
It's interesting to see the difference a team brings when you are there live at the event, compared to watching from home. As someone new to the traveling seen I can say it absolutely blew me away to see the hype and team support brought by GGA, CORN, and YOMI at Combo Breaker. I had no idea the physical, tangible weight that these teams bring with them live, it was inspiring. Watching from home I wouldn't have guessed that they meant so much in the overall experience, but watching live and being a part of it I fucking love YOMI and GGA and everyone else. These teams make things insanely hype live.

I'm so looking forward to CEO and EVO ;)

Pig Of The Hut

But if one YOMI didn't place top 8 at EVO, would they still be considered top? Definitely.

Also SCR Prelude.
If top 8 Evo had 0 YOMI members in it then absolutely in no way could they/us be considered top in any way

There is Not one possible way

I was under impression scr prelude is just that, prelude. I thought they were regional and scr in oct was a major

If prelude is a major then MWC is a major

EGP Wonder_Chef

If top 8 Evo had 0 YOMI members in it then absolutely in no way could they/us be considered top in any way

There is Not one possible way

I was under impression scr prelude is just that, prelude. I thought they were regional and scr in oct was a major

If prelude is a major then MWC is a major
You're misreading what I'm saying. Let's say for example, MIT has some bad luck and gets knocked out at like... 17th place while several other YOMI make top 8. Would he still be considered a top 10 player? Yeah almost definitely. But any other player that end up placing 17th would be considered "okay".

Pig Of The Hut

You're misreading what I'm saying. Let's say for example, MIT has some bad luck and gets knocked out at like... 17th place while several other YOMI make top 8. Would he still be considered a top 10 player? Yeah almost definitely. But any other player that end up placing 17th would be considered "okay".
Well if MIT gets 17th and 5 of top 8 is YOMI at Evo then yea because chances are he got knocked out by two training partners in YOMI who made top 8

If he loses in pools to a random and then loses again in top 32 to a non YOMI player then YOMI is top as a group but he isn't by himself

BS3OOO

Noob
How much stake do you have in tournaments? 0. You're the least qualified person to make this thread lawl.
Why are you so immature? LOL you brought so much negative energy to this thread. Everyone was making valid points.

Anyway, I appreciate what YOMI is doing. Normally, I would have to wait and see DJT and MIT play three times a year, but now I get to see them at almost every talent. It's nice seeing how others stack up against YOMI. It's like they're on a world tour competing against different regions. If YOMI wasn't assembled, SonicFox would probably be winning everything FREE and it would be even more of a problem.

It probably is less hype than the VSM/MK9 days, but I don't see it as a big issue. I agree that VSM was more impressive, because they were a small region who was dominating the scene. I feel that they made the community (GGA, KH, EGP, etc.) level up tremendously during that time, and it hasn't been a huge skill gap since. I believe YOMI is going to make people step their game up to another level, and before it's over, the skill gap won't be as high.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Well if MIT gets 17th and 5 of top 8 is YOMI at Evo then yea because chances are he got knocked out by two training partners in YOMI who made top 8

If he loses in pools to a random and then loses again in top 32 to a non YOMI player then YOMI is top as a group but he isn't by himself

So in your eyes, if any of the YOMI players don't make top 8 at EVO they aren't a top player?

I don't think most people see it that way.

Vagrant

Noob
Let me simplify it for you. Anything pre June is irrelevant. The game is constantly changing and players are constantly grinding.
Yeah I see what you're saying but this quickly just spirals into ridiculousness. Along the same kind of logic we can eventually argue that the game only really "matters" after final balance patch during the short time window that the largest amount of top players are competing at the highest level of play. Anything else is "irrelevant" .

I think it's just easier and probably better for the competitive community to give players their props for winning tournaments. With an agreed emphasis on Evo.

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
I think I'm probably the only one who looks at it like this, but I view YOMI as individual players. IMO YOMI is helping these top players get to events and compete, and saving them money too and getting them some recognition. I don't think all of Yomi is top tier. DJT and Michaelangelo are, in my opinion solely, the strongest of the players that are contracted with Yomi as of right now. If Sonic Fox were to join Yomi, it wouldnt be viewed as Yomi v Yomi, itd be viewed as Sonic Fox battling it out against someone he eats and lives with for a grand prize and bragging rights.
When I see Mikey vs DJT, its fucking amazing and hilarious. (especially the fisticuffs pick cause wynaut) and I enjoy those kind of things, just as much as I enjoy Saltface vs Tyrant (or any other Yomi v non-Yomi)
Its just a group of insanely strong players, getting the chance and opportunity to go out and do what they do :)

(and yes, it is harder for people that are non-yomi to get to events halfway across the world, but im not the kind of person to say that youre not good or top 10 just cause you didnt win 3 tournaments in 2 weeks that were 600 miles apart from each other xD)

Death

Noob
Yeah I see what you're saying but this quickly just spirals into ridiculousness. Along the same kind of logic we can eventually argue that the game only really "matters" after final balance patch during the short time window that the largest amount of top players are competing at the highest level of play. Anything else is "irrelevant" .

I think it's just easier and probably better for the competitive community to give players their props for winning tournaments. With an agreed emphasis on Evo.
I agree. If it was up to me Id just give credit to everything but isnt this community logic where it only has a memory span of a few weeks lol

DISCLAIMER:

- By all accounts, Reno is a stand-up guy.
- The YOMI guys are people I have respect for and like. They are incredibly skilled and many of them have been really helpful throughout the years when it comes to answering gameplay related questions, sharing tech, etc...
- I do not fault YOMI for trying to grow and recruit the best players.

However, my question is, does YOMI's exponential growth kill the hype? To be clear, I AM NOT asking them to stop doing what they're doing. I accept reality, but I do wonder whether, from a neutral's perspective, it kills the hype.

As far as rivalries between teams, regions, and even individuals go, it does feel quite restrictive when the brackets are filled with teammates that happen to be teammates simply because they were more or less "recruited." It does feel like an all-star team, which don't get me wrong, is cool, and has a lot of benefits even for neutrals (their weeklies are practically majors as far as level of talent goes), but at the same time, it feels a little "inauthentic" if that's the word.

Again, I have nothing against REO, MIT, DJT, King, and the rest of the YOMI crew so I ask all of these guys not take it personally. But it just feels like YOMI has sort of derived many regions of their identity.
they might be dominant by now, but other Scenes will take the challenge and that only does help the Level of Play.