What's new

YOMI and Hype...

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Well the issue is that those community problems ARE there, and while we saw it somewhat in the past, it was considerably less so. I mean sure, we saw some people saying if REO wasn't there it didn't count, but he wasn't at EVERY tournament, plus he was just one guy. Having 20 people going to EVERY major is a huge difference, and will take this minor community problem that we have to whole new levels of crappiness.

Also just fyi PL hasn't been in Fnatic for a long time lol.
I had a feeling I was off on that one, thanks.

Also REO was at every MK9 major IIRC. I don't ever remember him missing a major tournament, especially when he was vVv.

The idea that people consider any YOMI player godlike is untrue. Have you ever heard people put Kush, Glass Sword, or Darkfire in a top 10 players discussion? Half of the YOMI guys are local Atlanta players, of course people talk about the best ones because they are basically the best players from different scenes. But half the YOMI players are every discussed because they don't place lol.

It may make some of the problems bigger but I really don't think they will. And even if they do, at the end of the day the fault lies with the community, not them.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I had a feeling I was off on that one, thanks.

Also REO was at every MK9 major IIRC. I don't ever remember him missing a major tournament, especially when he was vVv.
There's no way he hit all of them. I mean he never attended a single non MLG West Coast major.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Fun fact

Only YOMI members w Evo medals in both games:
Djt
MIT
Pig
Reo

YOMI members w One Evo medal:
King (mk9, he did not place in inj)
Slayer (inj)

No Evo medals yet:
Saltface
Michaelangelo
Trepound
Smar
Xeno
Blake
Reno
Glass sword
Kush
King jr

Diminion I'm unsure how many

So 10 Evo medals total but I expect between KI and MKx this year 5-6 more will be added
To be fair I've never gone to EVO

Who knows how many medals I could have won in the past 4 years :REO

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
i think TEAM YOMI is like the embodiment of Kendrick Lamars control verse... i mean really .. its nothing but the guys who feel they are the best making a statement.. and the statement is - WE WANT TO BE THE BEST. but also , once it comes down to it- yes, YOMI is a TEAM//FAM but, they all still want to be the best individually also . I mean, even within their camp, they have Good rivalries to watch and that are entertainng. so I think its good... honestly, when has FRIENDLY COMPETITIVE RIVALRY ever been bad for the FGC. ( or any community really) and notice how i siad freindly - cuase anybody with a shit attitude can make things go south. sponsored or not. Plus, with all the practice, streams , arguments, and matches that they can put fourth, i can only see more information and tech being available to the masses. Whether said by them or dissected from outsiders. Right now, it seems you either want to BEAT them, JOIN them, or BOTH . But no matter what, the vibe is like "hey, i need to try to topple these guys" . & whether you want to do that by joining their high ranks or beating every last one of them single-handedly at your local tourney to send them home packing, the point of the matter is the competition stays fresh. stays entertaining.

BTW- For those that dont know the verse- in a nut shell it was like kendrick saying he has love for his peers but hes trying to be the only one at the top the the music game- no room for second place and im coming to be # 1 in your own city )

and as for people beating YOMI and not getting their props or getting drowned out by hype- to be honest- quiet the opposite is all i see (and this is not a diss to anyone) but front page on TYM there were articles about Sonic slaying Yomi - and not hearing about red raptor? man have you been in the takeda forums? or mentioned takeda in any stream? Raptor is like our poster child for takeda now. unseating zyphox (and zyphox is in YOMI !) just yest in the Tom brady stream - people were saying that Raptors's takeda was more respected than zyphoxs takeda ( once again im not taking sides as i was defending both play styles) but as a takeda player- ANY time when i mention who i main, Raptor is brought right into conversation and just how WELL he did beating so and so or beating a Yomi but mostly about achieving TOP placement. i mean, i have even seen someone spew in stream "Khaotic beat like 3-4 Yomi, but Takeda needs buffs, GTFOH" so its not like people dont notice and judge those that do win in high regard. - when its warranted.

theres always a super group that comes in and then its everything against them - Bulls, Spurs, Cowboys, Green bay, Pats, Braves, Yankees , Real Mardrid, Arsonal, Strangemusic, Wu tang, Bone Thugs, YMCMB, Dipset, Linkin Park, The doors, Korn , Soad. avenged sevenfold, the list could go on.. but then how many of these people started as underdogs when someone else was on TOP - and then how many underdogs finally got recognition when its was mainstream to like some of these names just started.. ( btw i dont like dipset - please do think i do - lol ) the process repeats itself. i really think for every 4 people that want to join YOMI - thers like 10 that want to beat them. personally, i think they have put a bounty on there heads..- like personally- once i up my game a bit, i would like to challenge a few of their takeda players at home base. its exciting for that respected rivaly and to develop. . i mean i can see people being truly excited like " well i didnt win evo , but i did manage to take out like 4 YOMIs " and feeling really good about it. So once again, i come back to as long as they stay stand up guys and really care for and help grow the FGC with what they can bring to the scene , then i cant see this bring a problem.

last , As for the sponsoring ship- (looking from the outside- i want to say that cause it could be a completely different story from the inside of YOMI but from the outside-) this is pretty much how most marketing goes.. examples- NFL Bose trying to push out Beats, FIFA- Adidas /Nike fighting for contracts NBA- Gatorade/powerade debating over players Coke pepsi monster Redbull.. Apple , mercedes, toyota- reebok- jordan. once again the list goes on... if a sponsor is not dropping huge news or makes a move that scares others into action then they arent gonna last long. I mean Look at all the things Redbull and Monster have now compared to even just 6 years ago. They both kept uping each other to try and conquer their industry . Why shouldnt YOMI do the same? So now its time for others to step up and start sponsoring players and make it look good for the players and form their own "fresh" tactics of sponsoring. If notbody steps up to bat then it can t be YOMIs fault. They cam up with a plan , executed the plan, and now are riding the wave of this movement they created. Think plan execute . pretty much business 101..

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
Several high level players got recruited in a Team / Clan that gives them Sponsorship and people come to the forums just to shit on them?

YOMI are example how people should practice and level up.
If you don't have the time to spend on ''Games'' on something else that needs such dedication it's ''your'' problem.

I don't think YOMI is killing the HYPE or that only YOMI is making the HYPE.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I personally hope yomi continues to go to EVERY tournament, not just majors.
What a great way to insure that there will be top notch competition at every tournament that's held

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Several high level players got recruited in a Team / Clan that gives them Sponsorship and people come to the forums just to shit on them?

YOMI are example how people should practice and level up.
If you don't have the time to spend on ''Games'' on something else that needs such dedication it's ''your'' problem.

I don't think YOMI is killing the HYPE or that only YOMI is making the HYPE.
No one is shitting on them. In order to ensure longevity in the competitive aspect of the game there has to be a vast pool of competition. Very few people are on their level and very few people WILL be on their level. Therefore, since this pool is soooo small, ppl will eventually get tired of swimming in it.

Also, I don't think it's a problem people don't have the time to level up, there is a such thing as life outside of MKX which I'm sure you are aware of.

No one is asking these guys to disband or stop attending tournaments, but I do believe this is a discussion that needed to happen. Most people agreed they don't kill the hype anyway.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I agree. If it was up to me Id just give credit to everything but isnt this community logic where it only has a memory span of a few weeks lol
Not just our community. The masses in general seem to forget one thing when something new comes along.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
No one is shitting on them. In order to ensure longevity in the competitive aspect of the game there has to be a vast pool of competition. Very few people are on their level and very few people WILL be on their level. Therefore, since this pool is soooo small, ppl will eventually get tired of swimming in it.

Also, I don't think it's a problem people don't have the time to level up, there is a such thing as life outside of MKX which I'm sure you are aware of.

No one is asking these guys to disband or stop attending tournaments, but I do believe this is a discussion that needed to happen. Most people agreed they don't kill the hype anyway.
Discussion that needed to happen ?
Can you tell me where does this Discussion leads / ends and how does it help? Instead writting on a Forum try to lvl up and get on their lvl and if u cant again - your prob.
I've watched ~ 99% of the MK9 Majors 1st 2 and half years and the game had it's own dominant faces every Tournament but they just didn't have the YOMI tag.

Scoot Magee

It's common sense that yomi is going to be a huge target for anyone trying to prove themselves. As time goes on all the doubters will realize this.

Stop acting like scrubs and practice up. This is to those who think it's not fair that yomi is yomi.

haketh

Noob
Not just our community. The masses in general seem to forget one thing when something new comes along.
I see it alot more in this community than any other & I wonder why that is. Like say peoples wins in older versions of SFIV aren't discredited & peoples wins in GG XRD before 1.1 aren't discredited or get the asterisk like alot of peoples wins in NRS do.

Scoot Magee

I see it alot more in this community than any other & I wonder why that is. Like say peoples wins in older versions of SFIV aren't discredited & peoples wins in GG XRD before 1.1 aren't discredited or get the asterisk like alot of peoples wins in NRS do.
I'm referring to life in general.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Okay here's how I see it, YOMI is anti hype... YOMI is just this awful sounding thing but in reality it's a great move in terms of Esports in the FGC, once more people recognise the potential of the FGC there will be more people who grow and do what YOMI do, that will make this actually hype.

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
DOUBLE EDIT:

@RM Jonnitti in fact NO SCENE is doing option select cancels yet. Only player i know who does them 99% is dizzy. Hell Big D didnt even know what they were till yesterday. Our scene sucks man compared to SF and capcom. They wouldnt stand for this. YOMI people who live there and get the opportunity to do absolutely nothing but level up should have these 100% down by now, its pretty much a blow up they havent yet,,
i will go far enough to say that everyone who is serious about winning in this game should have it by now. i dont have them down now because im not that serious about winning.[/QUOTE]
Please don't talk about me unless you get your facts straight. Of course I knew about option selects.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i will go far enough to say that everyone who is serious about winning in this game should have it by now. i dont have them down now because im not that serious about winning.
Please don't talk about me unless you get your facts straight. Of course I knew about option selects.[/QUOTE]

pig said that not me