What's new

General/Other - Tarkatan XL Tarkatan Alien Discussion Thread

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
So I'm labbing against rekkas so I understand them

if I block basic rush he's neg 15,
samesies with rush into rekka 1

if rekka 1 hits he's plus 15 so I hold all follow ups, right?

On block, I stay low and react to the overhead and punish
@I GOT HANDS
what is the deal with getting rid of the gaps between rekka 1 and the overhead or low?

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
Sup my TARKATAN bretheren. On my phone and dont feel like pouring through all the pages of goodies. Can someone give me his BNB notations, rekka and frame traps. Ty in adv

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I've been labbing this char a bit and found some stuff

Standing 1 is, according to the frame data, +22 on hit which should guarantee either b3 or b2/f4. B2 is 21f, so you might get armored out for trying it, f4 is more reliable since its at 17f startup. Depending on how much meter you can use, you can do up to 64% using this reset. I thought it was p cool, you guys might have a way to optimize this reset since I'm using baby combos to set it up.

Ponkz

Noob
I feel you guys, I was struggling to get in on bo rai cho doing full screen farts.

Never thought I'd type that sentence
You can't let him do ex fart, you can b3 (low) into rekkas on normal farts and its a good tool against bo because hes mostly grounded. If he sets-up ex fart from a confirm you just need to play defensive and wait for it to go and try to avoid a grab.

This variation might be outclassed completely by lasher takeda. Our rekka restand vortex is great, but if we try to do a normal and somebody jumps in its full combo punish. Our F1s range is just short of punishing a lot of moves or returning pressure it just whiffs to jump backs. I mention takeda because his B21 overhead is similar to our neutral tools but covers the air as well, we have to get in range - avoid the projectile, then guess; grounded attack or anti air. If we wait for them to commit, they can respace and projectile again restarting the process.

A good example of this is kitana, how do we ever get in? Crawl closes the gap but the recovery frames means kitana can run in and use a pressure string or just back dash and instant air fan. Same thing with lasher takeda he can jump back f2 and its not possible to get in without him hitting us first, we then have to eat an overhead low mix-up. Have you blocked it? well if he jumps back after low scoop or kunai, our F1 will not reach to punish in time and we eat a JBF2 into full combo. We do an option we can df1 for 10% damage but its not safe and 10% is not worth the risk.

Ponkz

Noob
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I've been labbing this char a bit and found some stuff

Standing 1 is, according to the frame data, +22 on hit which should guarantee either b3 or b2/f4. B2 is 21f, so you might get armored out for trying it, f4 is more reliable since its at 17f startup. Depending on how much meter you can use, you can do up to 64% using this reset. I thought it was p cool, you guys might have a way to optimize this reset since I'm using baby combos to set it up.
This is awesome! Won't be doing the B2 much though (i know why you did), probably just go for f4 or b3 into rekkas for safety.

Hey guys I'm new here.
Ive been working on Tarkatan Alien combos/tech since release and wanted to share it here to help others with the character, and also hear and other thoughts/critisms that anybody may have.
Ive been uploading these videos to my channel daily, so feel free to check them out :D
My channel is YouTube.com/SarcasticToast

-Toast

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
So I'm labbing against rekkas so I understand them

if I block basic rush he's neg 15,
samesies with rush into rekka 1

if rekka 1 hits he's plus 15 so I hold all follow ups, right?

On block, I stay low and react to the overhead and punish
@I GOT HANDS
what is the deal with getting rid of the gaps between rekka 1 and the overhead or low?
im not sure the exact frames on blocked rekka 1, i know its punishable tho

but basically yeah you got it, stay low, react to the overhead. if hes throwing the overhead or low mix-ups at you at the end of his rekka he is either punishable or putting gaps in his rekka, there is no way to make it gapless safe without ending in throw, and you can probably recognise which one it is, or you can learn your opponent if hes prone to doing it a certain way, or just learn the option select. shouldnt be too hard to Force him to do nothing but grab or keep getting punished, and from that point you can start neutral ducking the grab and then his rekkas become risky as hell

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
@YOMI REO

So, I started really looking at Alien - starting with the Tarkatan variation.

My thought is that this variation is just as strong as Triborg's Sektor variation. More practice and application will tell me more.

Look at the frame data if you want to start to know for yourself. This variation has what made Kobo Jutsu so strong, in spades - on steroids.

I GOT HANDS

So, I started really looking at Alien - starting with the Tarkatan variation.

My thought is that this variation is just as strong as Triborg's Sektor variation. More practice and application will tell me more.

Look at the frame data if you want to start to know for yourself. This variation has what made Kobo Jutsu so strong, in spades - on steroids.
ok i agree with you that this character is great, but not because of his frames. frame data is like the worst thing about this character dude, other than the 9f high and 11f mid which both are like most characters D4 range, we have nothing quicker than 15f to control the neutral space outside of that range other than the D4. D4 is nice but no comparison to an actual footsies move like JC / Cassie / Kano / Tanya / Lao / Kotal / Jax etc etc etc all have, as well as being unsafe on block, and much easier to whiff then those things. The D1 has amazing frames tho for what it is

Last edited:

GAV

ok i agree with you that this character is great, but not because of his frames. frame data is like the worst thing about this character dude, other than the 9f high and 11f mid which both are like most characters D4 range, we have nothing quicker than 15f to control the neutral space outside of that range other than the D4. D4 is nice but no comparison to an actual footsies move like JC / Cassie / Kano / Tanya / Lao / Kotal / Jax etc etc etc all have, as well as being unsafe on block, and much easier to whiff then those things. The D1 is amazing tho
Rekkas...

Like I said, I don't want to speak like I know. Its just a hunch. I'll be back in a few hours with more well informed thoughts.

I GOT HANDS

Like I said, I don't want to speak like I know. Its just a hunch. I'll be back in a few hours with more well informed thoughts.
yeah but you also said that he has what made Kobu strong and in spades, and you said look specifically at his frame data to see it, now I just don't see it, other than the Rekkas they are very different characters and even his rekkas are a lot worse

Reactions: GAV

GAV

yeah but you also said that he has what made Kobu strong and in spades, and you said look specifically at his frame data to see it, now I just don't see it, other than the Rekkas they are very different characters and even his rekkas are a lot worse
I've been watching a lot of streams and that was where I was going to start. If my hunch is unfounded, I'll be back here saying so.

Alien seems insanely strong though from watching him a lot. I've yet to put my hands on though.

GAV

well, thanks for sharing your hunch then i guess
After some watching and working, I haven't found Alien to be OP. All three variations are really, really good, but I was wrong about my OP assumption.

The best variation is Acidic, followed closely by Konjurer, and followed further behind by the Tarkatan variation.

I GOT HANDS

After some watching and working, I haven't found Alien to be OP. All three variations are really, really good, but I was wrong about my OP assumption.

The best variation is Acidic, followed closely by Konjurer, and followed further behind by the Tarkatan variation.
I think you are right he isn't OP but he's still a great character with a unique set of abilities

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Tarkatan is the worst however lol

GAV

I think you are right he isn't OP but he's still a great character with a unique set of abilities

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Tarkatan is the worst however lol
Unavoidable damage setups in the other two variations; one from chip - and the other from creating ambiguous blocking situations.

I GOT HANDS

Has anyone got anything higher than 35% in the corner off of 50/50~rekka cancel?
36%

50/50~Rekka, EX Grab, U3, B11U4, 214~XStrike

its possible to do U3, U3, F134~XStrike for 37% as well (tested against Cassie) but its super impractical and very tight timing based on the timing of your NjP as well, first one is easy tho

Unavoidable damage setups in the other two variations; one from chip - and the other from creating ambiguous blocking situations.
Tarkatan may not have zoning or unavoidable damage setups, but you can cancel every move into rekkas, making it same, having better pressure and more mixups. Plus you can hit confirm into a guareenteed 32% bnb. I wouldnt say its the worst variation.

Reactions: GAV

MBA_Ermok

Re-learning Spectral Ermac
Hey all, just sharing what I have found with Tarkatan Alien, apologies if it has already been mentioned:

- 28% Combo (Meterless) - B2, F134, Rekkas into throw.

- 39% Combo (1 Bar) - B2, RC, F134, EX Crawl, F134, Rekkas into throw.

- 35%~ Combo (1 Bar) - 214, EX Crawl, B11U4, F134, Rekkas into throw. This is my punishing combo. Or you can go for F23434, Rekkas into 1 after EX Crawl to be +15. (32%~)

- Rekkas into throw leaves the opponent at the perfect distance to still be in range to be hit by the B3. Hence why I end combos with Rekkas into throw.

- Jump 4 can be confirmed into Rekkas/Air Spin Flip/Crawl.

- F23434 string can low profile some mid projectiles. Only tested on Jason's machete and few others I can't remember right now.

I GOT HANDS

Hey guys, linking to the combo post of my Tarkatan guide here, me and @BarterRaccoon and @Metatron really been putting in some work on these combos, our combo paths are a little different to what most people in here are using but I feel like we got the highest damage practical combo's found so far and the most consistent too, poke your head in and have a look, either you'll be able to improve your combos or you will be able to teach us some, so its a win win for the Alien community!

http://testyourmight.com/threads/vertical-not-horizontal-the-complete-guide-to-slicing-dicing-with-the-new-tarkatan.59063/#post-2045955

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I've been rocking people with Tarkatan, only thing that's been bugging me is how long it takes for him to recover after like a whiffed b3/f4 etc