What's new

General/Other - Tarkatan XL Tarkatan Alien Discussion Thread

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
I've been rocking people with Tarkatan, only thing that's been bugging me is how long it takes for him to recover after like a whiffed b3/f4 etc
yup, its the downfall of the variation. Imagine if takedas b2 didn't have anti air properties and thats what we have.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Just gonna throw this out there, but I personally think Tarkatan is gonna wind up being the new character where people say, "Oh anyone who plays MKX has a back-pocket Tarkatan." It's nothing to play this character. Now that I know a little more, this character is super good. Only downside is getting in on characters with great zoning.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Just gonna throw this out there, but I personally think Tarkatan is gonna wind up being the new character where people say, "Oh anyone who plays MKX has a back-pocket Tarkatan." It's nothing to play this character. Now that I know a little more, this character is super good. Only downside is getting in on characters with great zoning.
yeah, his making his Rekka's safe is only two times frame links with no real visual or audio cues, nothing at all challenging to playing him at all

ill literally bet $100 that what you are predicting does not happen. Willing to go higher if you are. A. hes not as easy as you are saying by any means B. he doesn't bring enough unique to the table to justify everyone learning the character

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
yeah, his making his Rekka's safe is only two times frame links with no real visual or audio cues, nothing at all challenging to playing him at all

ill literally bet $100 that what you are predicting does not happen. Willing to go higher if you are. A. hes not as easy as you are saying by any means B. he doesn't bring enough unique to the table to justify everyone learning the character
Lmao dude people think just cause they are in practice getting the rekkas down ez that they will be able to do it in a real game no problem. It's really not that easy AT ALL and most ppl will punish you if you don't get them safe. You don't even know if they are safe or not in a real game most of the time. . .

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
To me it seems its best used from something grounded in the corner since you can convert from it with a D1 or for the end of your last juggle for a brutality. But the others might have better uses for it.
nope I've checked basically everything posted in the Alien sub since his release and thats the only use I've seen for it. Doesn't work on females however, or big bodies, making it a pretty big niche (need confirmation on the big bodies but apparently tested on Goro).

x TeeJay o

Hello there! I lurking in the lab today and find some interesting thing

There is no gaps between rekkas and its safe on block, I think its about -7(-6)
This makes it possible to break armor and be safe, or even put pressure your opponent if he block.

If you know this already than just ignore this post
Lol

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
There were a lot of incorrect predictions about Alien in this thread.

ArmedCalf, Mar 7, 2016

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
U3 is one of the best if not the best aa in the game. I compared it against some of the best d2s in the game such as jax s and it is bounds and leaps better. It has a ridiculous disjointed hitbox that lets you aa even the best jump in kicks. Also léads to 35% restand

x TeeJay o

There were a lot of incorrect predictions about Alien in this thread.
1 tarkatan made top 8, and the person who beat that tarkatan knew the matchup.he armored through the rekkas, punished the unsafe rekkas, and punished dragon for pressing buttons too early and too often after doing safe rekkas. Technically i saw a whole lotta ppl sleep on Alien and focused too much on csz, cyrax, and acidic. I play Alien and I said since March 1st tarkatan was the best. I actually think it needs to be normalized as well ...

Tweedy

Noob
It seems like rekka 2 is around -17 when not delayed at all. If you put Mileena on reversal EX roll, you'll get hit.

What's interesting is that when you do the no gap medium delay, that previously made you -4 if you complete all the rekkas and was patched out, you actually knock off a few frames when you stagger rekka 2. I'm able to block Alien's snag which is 14 frames.

You can block moves like Mileena's roll, Alien's snag, Jin's cartwheel, and even Jax's overhead dash punch. The latter is huge because I personally view Jax as one of Alien's hardest match ups.

Of course a good player will just punish you outright with a normal if you do this consistently, however, it's become common knowledge that you can option select Alien's rekkas with a lot of different armored moves. If you do this, you can definitely bait some of those in a tournament set.

Tweedy

Noob
Starting today I've basically abandoned the rekka 2 restand for two bars, unless I can kill with it.

I just feel like Alien is great in the corner and needs meter for decent damage. Doing the rekka 2 restand takes those two things away, so in the long run, I think it's butt.

If you have three bars and it's the last round, it's definitely really good. 60%-70% or more is really practically. I hit someone with a 70%+ sequence with it in the ESL on Saturday. Most people are so oblivious to Alien that 12 ex flip and B113 ex flip are basically unblockables.