What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade XL Sonya General Discussion

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
With Summoner Quan is easy. Do what Michaelangelo just did: Run away. :DOGE

What are you having trouble with against her? Give me a specific scenario with some of those characters.
i missed his fight, howd he run away exactly? xD

well her upclose game canceling into grenades and stuff, its hard to tell when i can and can't press buttons, also i know she has an unblockable setup where she does mb reload and goes and grabs you too. And just how to play the neutral against her in general.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
i missed his fight, howd he run away exactly? xD

well her upclose game canceling into grenades and stuff, its hard to tell when i can and can't press buttons, also i know she has an unblockable setup where she does mb reload and goes and grabs you too. And just how to play the neutral against her in general.
Well, some characters can deal with the grenades better than others. Kano can always backdash a delayed grenade, Mileena can low profile a grenade toss with ball roll into full combo, but that's only if Sonya delays it too. The thing that's so messed up about 50/50 into grenade is that there's a certain point where Sonya can jail the grenade (and it's safe), so if you're pressing buttons, trying to jump out, backdashing or mashing reversal, you're gonna get hit. You gotta know your timing.

And the ''unblockable'' isn't an unblockable. You can jump out of that.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Well, some characters can deal with the grenades better than others. Kano can always backdash a delayed grenade, Mileena can low profile a grenade toss with ball roll into full combo, but that's only if Sonya delays it too. The thing that's so messed up about 50/50 into grenade is that there's a certain point where Sonya can jail the grenade (and it's safe), so if you're pressing buttons, trying to jump out, backdashing or mashing reversal, you're gonna get hit. You gotta know your timing.

And the ''unblockable'' isn't an unblockable. You can jump out of that.
by know your timing, you mean u gotta know sonya's sweet spot, where she can delay yet jail at the same time? so what is an instant detonation then? is it punishable?

also u didnt tell me how michael ran away lol

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
by know your timing, you mean u gotta know sonya's sweet spot, where she can delay yet jail at the same time? so what is an instant detonation then? is it punishable?
Yes, don't press buttons as soon as she tosses the grenade. She can make the grenade jail by tossing and slightly delaying it. An immediate grenade detonation is -10ish, but a slightly delayed grenade is 0 on block. A grenade detonated by itself is +20.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when she's out of grenades, you've got to be on her. Do your best to not let her reload.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Yes, don't press buttons as soon as she tosses the grenade. She can make the grenade jail by tossing and slightly delaying it. An immediate grenade detonation is -10ish, but a slightly delayed grenade is 0 on block. A grenade detonated by itself is +20.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when she's out of grenades, you've got to be on her. Do your best to not let her reload.
alright, but how did michaelangelo run away from her? i want to know, lol

It's maybe a weird idea, but i think she needs a nerf in mobility and by that i mean her jump . Correct me if i'm wrong when you have some knowledge about this wich i don't have any of i must be honest. These are just pure assumptions based on my experience and judgements after those exp's. With that said, i'll explain why wich would be that i feel like her jump is one of- if not the best jumps in the game in any way or form. The hight, distance and speed of her jumps are insane, at the same time (i'm guessing here) the hurtbox getting smaller by contracting her limbs doing a back/front flip. Also on top of everything, like it's not enough is that it seems to my experience her recovery after jumping is one of-the fastest off the entire cast. I would love to hear real knowledge about this to see how closeby/far-off my assumptions are, so i know if i'm observing the game and it's data-mechanics mostly right or noticing the wrong things if not. Sorry for my lack in the skill of being concise lol

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
It's maybe a weird idea, but i think she needs a nerf in mobility and by that i mean her jump . Correct me if i'm wrong when you have some knowledge about this wich i don't have any of i must be honest. These are just pure assumptions based on my experience and judgements after those exp's. With that said, i'll explain why wich would be that i feel like her jump is one of- if not the best jumps in the game in any way or form. The hight, distance and speed of her jumps are insane, at the same time (i'm guessing here) the hurtbox getting smaller by contracting her limbs doing a back/front flip. Also on top of everything, like it's not enough is that it seems to my experience her recovery after jumping is one of-the fastest off the entire cast. I would love to hear real knowledge about this to see how closeby/far-off my assumptions are, so i know if i'm observing the game and it's data-mechanics mostly right or noticing the wrong things if not. Sorry for my lack in the skill of being concise lol
Is this your hidey account? @Bruno-NeoSpace :DOGE

Any thoughts on CO after the patch? I gotta admit, a 19 frame b1 is hurting me more than I thought it would.

Kinda hard to retrain myself to f2 more

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Any thoughts on CO after the patch? I gotta admit, a 19 frame b1 is hurting me more than I thought it would.

I thought the same thing but I've started to get use to it.
You could always try B332 when up close and if they block the first two kicks you can go for ms grab then go for B14 combo.
If you know they going to roll back on wake up after a F2B1 then do B14 at the start of them wakingup you just need to watch out for ex wakeups.
Most of the time people don't know how to bypass b33 ms grab long as you do the input quick that doesn't mean repeat it constantly lol their is a gap.
You can go for D3 into B14 50/50 if the person too scared to counter poke but their is a bigger gap now and if the D3 is blocked and you know they're going to counter poke with a D1 or mid attack do her normal or ex counter some times you have to delay her counter if they delay the counter poke. You just have to take risks at times. Like I said in demo combo thread you can whiff punish some attacks using a divekick

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob

It's much harder now, mainly due to more than half the cast being able to zone her out. Everybody's projectiles have become so fast and powerful, Sonya is suffering.

I wish the ex arc kick had two hits of armour to counter Alot of these spammers, or they quicken her rings to trade aganst them.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I feel like CO Sonya is a mix of better and worse. Her b1 being slower is booty, but she no longer has to fear armored launchers during her pressure.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I have loved playing sets with Covert Ops, basically just conditioning and footsies all day. Coosco is still the best with this variation and I try to copy/paste everything that I can.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
I have loved playing sets with Covert Ops, basically just conditioning and footsies all day. Coosco is still the best with this variation and I try to copy/paste everything that I can.
To each its own right I wouldn't agree tho