What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade XL Sonya General Discussion

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I feel that SF is stronger really, plus on block mixups and the guessing is literally endless, OH/OH, OH/Low/Low, Low/OH, Low/low/low, Low/low/oh. On top of that she has the neutral control as colby mentioned... It's really underrated
The guessing isn'r really as good as that though because of the timings of the cancels on hit and block being different. So b1~Block+1 is only a mix up on block, if the b1 hits and you timed it for the mixup so assuming b1 would be blocked, then the special won't come out and it's just b1 on hit. But it is a good mixup from b14 and b332, although I don't usually use the mix up. I prefer the low kami of homing missile on block for pressure.
Also 'low/low/oh or low/low/low' shedoesn't have a double low so its only low/low or low/oh.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
The guessing isn'r really as good as that though because of the timings of the cancels on hit and block being different. So b1~Block+1 is only a mix up on block, if the b1 hits and you timed it for the mixup so assuming b1 would be blocked, then the special won't come out and it's just b1 on hit. But it is a good mixup from b14 and b332, although I don't usually use the mix up. I prefer the low kami of homing missile on block for pressure.
Also 'low/low/oh or low/low/low' shedoesn't have a double low so its only low/low or low/oh.
I see, I never used it in an actual match. The timing should be the same... the only reason I did not give it a go is because I didn't feel like practising the timings. And yeah, right my bad on the b33 ))

skater11

The saltiest
This has been said many times but PLSS NRS please make NEG EDGE options to be on character select screen!!! I CANT PLAY COVERT OPS AFTER USING DEMO WITH NE ON. It's a DAMN aggravating thing!!! especially online where you have to re-invite or re-join whatever game mode you were on!!

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Is there a timing where Sonya can detonate the grenades and it's plus on block but also can't be jumped out of? Or does she always have to pick between the two?

skater11

The saltiest
Not sure if you are referring to my post or not, but there is nothing to get use to or muscle memory. The game won't let you do it was my point.
it's a bit more complicated with neg edge on but not impossible. You have to press f2-hold 2, bf4(while holding 2).

Reactions: jmt
Been wanting to ask this for a while...

Is anyone else confirming b14 into EX Ring Blast as Special Forces? I mean, when you don't have a drone out?

b33 when droneless gets me a free drone. b142 doesn't. I felt weird about it at first because I'm spending a bar of butter to do a 12% 3 hit combo. But that ex ring blast gets me a free drone and puts me at the distance SF Sonya excels at the same time.

It at first seems like a waste of meter, but really my combos aren't meter dependent. I find this also helps me open up opponents with b33 more when I'm droneless, because my opponent can't just block low all day, let themselves get hit by my OH, and STILL leave me in a very poor drone calling position. The threat of using EX Ring Blast to make the OH a reload-enabler seems worth it to me.

Thoughts anyone?

ESP-_BLACK

best proclaimed hellfire scorpion
Not sure if you are referring to my post or not, but there is nothing to get use to or muscle memory. The game won't let you do it was my point.
yes it was towards you, and yes you can you hold 2 then do leg grab

Reactions: jmt

ESP-_BLACK

best proclaimed hellfire scorpion

Is anyone else confirming b14 into EX Ring Blast as Special Forces? I mean, when you don't have a drone out?

b33 when droneless gets me a free drone. b142 doesn't. I felt weird about it at first because I'm spending a bar of butter to do a 12% 3 hit combo. But that ex ring blast gets me a free drone and puts me at the distance SF Sonya excels at the same time.

It at first seems like a waste of meter, but really my combos aren't meter dependent. I find this also helps me open up opponents with b33 more when I'm droneless, because my opponent can't just block low all day, let themselves get hit by my OH, and STILL leave me in a very poor drone calling position. The threat of using EX Ring Blast to make the OH a reload-enabler seems worth it to me.

Thoughts anyone?
yeai saw showtime was doing it at texas showdown i was asking my self why? but Its a safe option and puts them full screen so you can reload/call drone.its wayyyy better then b32

colby4898

Thoughts anyone?
If I don't have a drone out I will mostly just go for b33212. There's almost no point hit confirming b12 into ex ring blast because if you block confirm and dont do the ring you're at -14 and punishable. So you might as well just do b14 ex ring blast without hit confirming, if it hits drone call if not you're safe (-5). Against experienced players in the matchup I will mix them up with b14bf2ex against someone who doesnt I will just do b33212 as they will probably always see it as a 50/50 whem im not really mixing them up.

Last edited:

colby4898

yeai saw showtime was doing it at texas showdown i was asking my self why? but Its a safe option and puts them full screen so you can reload/call drone.its wayyyy better then b32
In what way is it way better? b33212 leaves them full screen and is a safe drone call that doesn't use meter. Confirm b332 on hit. On block b332 is -5.

If I don't have a drone out I will mostly just go for b33212. There's almost no point hit confirming b12 into ex ring blast because if you block confirm and dont do the ring you're at -14 and punishable. So you might as well just do b14 ex ring blast without hit confirming, if it hits drone call if not you're safe (-5).
Yeah, I'll mostly go for b33212 as well, but it's because of that strong preference my opponent knows to block low. If I don't at least establish that my overhead can get me drone reload, I'll have an issue.

Ring is -14 point blank, but given the pushback of b14, travel distance makes it sliiiightly less -negative. The opponent then needs an advancing move to punish at that point because standing 1's won't reach.

I could punish it (b14 xx Ring Blast) with Kenshi's b3 (12 frames), but I couldn't punish it with his b1 (13 frames). This of course doesn't apply to certain characters that can punish with a buffered-in special.

Granted, being super-negative even if a punish isn't likely, is definitely not fun. So I'll still go into EX anyway sometimes.

colby4898

If I don't have a drone out I will mostly just go for b33212. There's almost no point hit confirming b12 into ex ring blast because if you block confirm and dont do the ring you're at -14 and punishable. So you might as well just do b14 ex ring blast without hit confirming, if it hits drone call if not you're safe (-5).
Yeah, I'll mostly go for b33212 as well, but it's because of that strong preference my opponent knows to block low. If I don't at least establish that my overhead can get me drone reload, I'll have an issue.

Ring is -14 point blank, but given the pushback of b14, travel distance makes it sliiiightly less -negative. The opponent then needs an advancing move to punish at that point because standing 1's won't reach.

I could punish it (b14 xx Ring Blast) with Kenshi's b3 (12 frames), but I couldn't punish it with his b1 (13 frames). This of course doesn't apply to certain characters that can punish with a buffered-in special.

Granted, being super-negative even if a punish isn't likely, is definitely not fun. So I'll still go into EX anyway sometimes.
I didn't realise you meant on block confirm b14~bf2 and on hit b12~bf2 ex. I thought on block you were ending at b12. I wouldn't end a block string with a non ex bf2 because what character doesn't have a move less then 14 frames that moves forward? I can't think of one off the top my head. Should be punished eveytime. I just do b14~ex bf2, no confirming. I guess stopping at b14 would work the first couple times because they would expect b121, but they would soon notice.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Gimmick alert: Doing mixups into raw BF2 on hit to leave them standing and go for a vortex which doesn't exist because it has nowhere near enough hit advantage lololol.
I was playing @UsedForGlue with special forces against his cyber sub zero and really struggled with the mu because of how mobile he is I couldn't establish any zoning or pressure because of all the fucking divekicks that are like 1 frame recovery. Any one know how to face this mu?

It was 2-2 when he moved to buzzsaw and ended 6-3 to him. I felt I was improving with the buzzsaw mu as the games went on but he left. I don't feel like I was learning the csz mu though even though I won a couple games.
Yeah CSZ vs Special Forces is hard, he has a lot of ways to keep away from BLK+2 and no matter how much you get out of the corner he's still going to be able to do a lot of stuff. Even when he's playing defensive he seems to have better space control :( It's probably no worse than 6-4 CSZ though.
I feel that SF is stronger really, plus on block mixups and the guessing is literally endless, OH/OH, OH/Low/Low, Low/OH, Low/low/low, Low/low/oh. On top of that she has the neutral control as colby mentioned... It's really underrated
There's not really a guess on the drone mixups, BLK+4 is pretty reactable.

Thoughts anyone?
Yup, I've thought that was one of the most under the radar stupid buffs I'd seen for the game so far (EXBF2 becoming -5 on block and therefore giving her completely safe hit confirmable mixups in every variation)

On the ground if I don't have drone and I go for the overhead because they're expecting me to go for the low since it gives me drone meterless I do B14~exBF2 which is safe either way and gets me a drone if it hits. And as you say she doesn't really need the meter much anyway.

Running is one of those things that I am kind of new at and still getting used to. idk if this was mentioned before, but does it seem like running uses more stamina now? It might be just that I am running more in general, but it seems like I'm frequently without stamina now. I didn't notice anything on the patch notes.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Not sure if you guys have ever looked into it but 112~reload on hit in Demolition is either neutral or very slightly plus on hit which is ridiculous. I'd realised a while back and the change in the patch notes whenever they buffed the cancel advantage on it finally made sense to me lol

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
lets see, Jason unstoppable, Summoner Quan, Imposter/BS shinnok, HW Cassie, HF/NJ scorpion, Hunter Pred, Swarm Queen Dvorah, Crystaline tremor, acidic alien. and sektor, tho i don't play him as much anymore
With Summoner Quan is easy. Do what Michaelangelo just did: Run away. :DOGE

What are you having trouble with against her? Give me a specific scenario with some of those characters.