What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

boba_buster

Noob saibot
And I never see the vortex cuz ppl know how to block and punish it , but whatever you think dude your absolutely right

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I haven't been able to get combo damage where I want with him, but I love his tools. If you can't see his potential, you're not seeing things clearly. He's got great tools to work with.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I haven't been able to get combo damage where I want with him, but I love his tools. If you can't see his potential, you're not seeing things clearly. He's got great tools to work with.
Are there any videos that break down Smoke as a whole? There's lots of info but I don't have a solid gameplan with him and end up getting bodied by people who understand the character better than I do.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
These dudes on here keep saying smokes overhead is slow and very reactable. Shinnoks overhead is the exact same speed and people get opened up by it all the time just watch wound cowboy. Its really hard to react to a 18 frame move even sonic fox has said anything under 18 frames is basically unreactable

People need to Stop downplaying the vortex yeah ex invisibility is cool and you should use it every now and then but its not as important as the vortex in my opinion

GAV

Are there any videos that break down Smoke as a whole? There's lots of info but I don't have a solid gameplan with him and end up getting bodied by people who understand the character better than I do.
I'm not doing big damage with him and I'm losing to guys that are really, really good - but I'm able to compete with above average players - and leave most of them confused as hell.

I use his overhead drop as anti-air first. Secondly, I use his D2 for anti-air as well if I'm late on the overhead drop. This will force them to approach with caution, rather than just jumping in, and that's where it starts.

From there, use his B21 and F21 into mixups to keep them off balance. If they get caught too close, B1 or B3 into spear will put them in check. If they try to retreat, lead them into his ground smokeport projectile. Also, use his Smokeport and EX invisibility. They will both keep them off balance and allow you to keep the offensive.

His game is much simpler to implement than it is to deal with. My only trouble comes when I slip up and eat combo damage, since my combo damage with him is mostly inconsequential. When going from Kotal Khan, who gets 50% combo damage from many different starters, its hard to be OK getting 18-24.

Last edited:

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I'm not doing big damage with him and I'm losing to guys that are really, really good - but I'm able to compete with above average players - and leave most of them confused as hell.

I use his overhead drop as anti-air first. Secondly, I use his D2 for anti-air as well if I'm late on the overhead drop. This will force them to approach with caution, rather than just jumping in, and that's where it starts.

From there, use his B21 and F21 into mixups to keep them off balance. If they get caught too close, B1 or B3 into spear will put them in check. If they try to retreat, lead them into his ground smokeport projectile. Also, use his Smokeport and EX invisibility. They will both keep them off balance and allow you to keep the offensive.

His game is much simpler to implement than it is to deal with. My only trouble comes when I slip up and eat combo damage, since my combo damage with him is mostly inconsequential.
He can Get a good 42% off a hit confirm able f43 but the 3 whiffs on crouch block so it's real risky

Reactions: GAV

GAV

He can Get a good 42% off a hit confirm able f43 but the 3 whiffs on crouch block so it's real risky
The combos I do aren't risky at all. They just do very slight damage. I'm sure I could get run cancels down, but I just prefer not to do them.

I'm hard-headed like that. I think they're stupid. I'm like that with the three direction grapple moves too. I refuse to learn them because they're unrealistic notations.

What's troubling you about his combos specifically? The highest damage ones I have for him don't use run cancels at all.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

What's troubling you about his combos specifically? The highest damage ones I have for him don't use run cancels at all.
Then those are ones that I'm unaware of.

I'll take and appreciate any heads up you give me.

Part of it is my own fault. I like to play a character for a few days before I go searching YT for tech.

That way, I can often discover some - or maybe even the meta - on my own.

Then those are ones that I'm unaware of.

I'll take and appreciate any heads up you give me.

Part of it is my own fault. I like to play a character for a few days before I go searching YT for tech.

That way, I can often discover some - or maybe even the meta - on my own.
Yeah, I totally understand. I always try that for a while, but then I get frustrated from feeling like what I'm doing is sub-optimal. I'm not an expert on this character by any means, but I do recommend utilizing his ex overhead teleport with your punishes; that's where his highest damage comes from in my experience.

On my low starter I end in the vortex but for the oh I do b1xxspear jip 4 sb njp slight run 4 b21 ex invisible then I'll just move around till they press buttons then whiff punish back into the vortex.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
On my low starter I end in the vortex but for the oh I do b1xxspear jip 4 sb njp slight run 4 b21 ex invisible then I'll just move around till they press buttons then whiff punish back into the vortex.
You better check with khaotik befor u use that invisibility

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
So what do you guys do after a breaker against Sektor?

My brother's been playing as Sektor, and I always feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage after either of use Break. Since I can't run or fade after, I always feel like I'm at the mercy of his missiles, and if I try to teleport, he can just up missile on himself and doesn't even need to bother blocking. Any tips?

boba_buster

Noob saibot

My brother's been playing as Sektor, and I always feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage after either of use Break. Since I can't run or fade after, I always feel like I'm at the mercy of his missiles, and if I try to teleport, he can just up missile on himself and doesn't even need to bother blocking. Any tips?
B21?

Redux

Ex Phase

you can do b21 into spear to punish his upmissiles even if he directs them towards him. you can also teleport put the timing is tricky because if you do it too late he can block and too soon 1 missile will hit you

ABake

Bum Kitana Main
I've been mixing up between 1112 and 111~PF, once recovered going into f21 to either then hit low or cancel into tele or invis. You can also substitute the f21 for f13. If those are blocked, I'll burn a bar on exSB or exPF and just keep going. I've found that this is a good way to not only use meter, but also build on meter while frustrating the opponent.
The important part of this is to keep the opponent guessing on when it's his turn.

Anyone else figure out why smoke is borderline terrible yet?
hes built for a smart player, you might need to switch to ermac if you need a char that requires less thought
How are you guys approaching the neutral? That's where I'm struggling for the most part with smoke. Especially up close since his pokes kinda aren't that good.
are you following pokes with 11 combos? common mistake ive had because the first high hit will whiff often, although i love 1112 so much