What's new

Xbox One version 900P not 1080p? (Not confirmed)

It's already been posted in this thread, BUT http://www.gamespot.com/videos/reality-check-64-of-people-can-t-tell-the-differen/2300-6424024/

You'd be surprised at how many people can't tell the difference between platforms, especially between the PS4 and XB1.
Not even a little. I've tested this several times with different people. It is incredibly hard to detect when a game is in motion. In my testing, proper resolution was only identified around 6 out of 10 times (therefore not even close to conclusive, in fact, quite the opposite). This was done on a 55" LED at a viewing distance of 8 feet (within THX recommended distance). I'm sure there are people out there that are more sensitive to it, thankfully, I'm not one of them.

Persistent and noticeable frame drops on the other hand absolutely drive me insane lol. I will choose a console version dependent on that, but not 900 vs. 1080p.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Video production is my hobby, I work with uncompressed game footage on a daily basis. I also watched the VODs full screen on a 1440p120 monitor. It didn't look like shit, no, but it was definitely very far from optimal. Could I tell the difference between 900p and 1080p on a twitch stream which is limited to a bitrate of 3500mbps? No, of course not. There's so much compression artifact that it doesn't matter. But that's not the argument. If you put 900p60, 1080p60, 1440p60, and 2160p60 uncompressed video streams up in a blind test, back-to-back on a 2160p60 capable display, the higher resolutions would look better every time.
Congratulations! You are in the minority of people who can tell the difference! Most people shouldn't care, but are being manipulated into thinking they should. Overall it isn't important in the grand scheme of things...which was/is my only point.

E

Eldriken

I know.

@trufenix I apologize.

I just hate these things, and sometimes I hit post without taking that extra thought.
Just keep in mind that he may be responding to your previous message before reading this. So if you get a notification that he quoted you and flies off the handle, give him some time to catch up. :p

But I respect the fact that you apologized, my friend! Most people would be like, "Fuck you." =P

This isn't about perception of visual quality. I'm as blind as a bat and can't tell the difference between a vhs tape and a blu ray. This is about one thing not being able to do what the other can't and a four hundred dollar entertainment investment for the next few years. Its this today, whats the "just good enough" excuse for the next AAA title? And the one after that?

This is ironically the same way the PS3 started off at a deficit to the 360. Tiny differences in architecture and hardware capability that became a ground swell. Sony went back to the drawing board, spent a ton of money and made up the difference. Now most people have forgotten how shitty the ps3 launch was. Microsoft will have to do the same or accept they aren't going to win the cross platform game. And since they appear to also be losing the exclusive game, that's big.
Totally off topic but how is Microsoft losing the exclusive game? Genuine curiosity of your perception not trying to come off rude in any way

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Just keep in mind that he may be responding to your previous message before reading this. So if you get a notification that he quoted you and flies off the handle, give him some time to catch up. :p

But I respect the fact that you apologized, my friend! Most people would be like, "Fuck you." =P
lol yeah, I'm ready for the hate.

And yeah, I'm to old for these internet beefs. I play MK and game in general to have fun. These types of debates aren't fun, and they only serve to divide us further.

Its not really a slight difference you can definitely tell. The crisp quality is apparent when its in front of your face. But my point is even if product A is better than product B even by a little bit, why would you settle for B.
This comment is just hypocrite if you don't own a PC, since the difference between 4K and 1080p is way more.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
This will probably come off as super Sony fanboyish, but it's my opinion and I'm indifferent in regards to favoring either console: The One struggles because Microsoft focused too much on making it a fucking media hub than a gaming device.
Preach that shit.

I feel the same way, and last Gen I refused to buy a PS3 because I loved the 360 console. But Microsoft did not deserve my business this time around. The resolution thing is really important. We are in 2015 and the XB1 is barely cracking 900p with their multi platform titles? There is just no excusing that. X Box Live is a great service, but the PS4 is a great console for people concerned with getting the most out of their games. I would be lying if I said I didn't like Microsoft's OS, I even own a Microsoft phone. But the One just disappointed me after its announcement and nothing has changed my opinion to this day.

But realistically, if you have a next Gen console....it doesn't fucking matter. We shall be dining in Outworld at Midnight.

Maybe it would be but you would have to factor and the price of a 4k monitor or TV and a PC that can run 4k games. Xbox and ps4 would essiently be around the same price. So how is that hypocritical
4K monitors aren't expensive, hell you can even get some for $500.00. A PC that can run 4K games is indeed pricey, but in your own words, why would you settle for B?

Besides, once you buy a game in a PC you don't need any ''HD remaster'' or 'Definitive Edition'', you don't have to worry about retrocompatibility, you don't have to pay for online, and games are less expensive.

If you really cared about specs, you would have a PC, period.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I know for a fact that RE Revelations 2 is 1090p on PC/PS4, 900p on XB1, and 720p on 360/PS3.

But, XB1 is the only one that runs at a solid 60fps. Because for some reason, the game doesn't run well on the other consoles. PC gets 60 sometimes but is mostly at 30 and other consoles barely get 30fps.

Though I think the game was just poorly optimized and I'm not sure whether this is relevant to our situation or not.

Honestly, IDGAF as long as the game runs at a solid 60fps and doesn't play like MK9/Injustice PS3 online.

Did you read my comment I said if product A and Product B are the same price its inexcusable. Happily give me a PC and monitor just for 400 dollars that can run 4k games I will make the switch
Inexcusable? If your only ''concern'' is specs/resolution, sure. I don't even know what's there to brag about, most PS4 exclusives run at 30 fps anyways.

Most people even PC gamers aren't going to be running news games at full 1080p at 60fps lol. Witcher 3 on ultra lol good luck with that.
1080p 60 fps can be achieved by a mid range graphics card. The Witcher 3 on ultra, I can agree with that, most people won't be able to run it on ultra, but those who will definitely don't settle for B :cool:

EXBingo

Noob
Resolution debates are always terrible, because one side is basically like "1080p is better than 900p", which is true. And, the other side is like "I don't care. I don't see the difference", which is true for that person. So, both sides are arguing different points, without realizing it. It's technical facts vs subjectiveness.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Resolution debates are always terrible, because one side is basically like "1080p is better than 900p", which is true. And, the other side is like "I don't care. I don't see the difference", which is true for that person. So, both sides are arguing different points, without realizing it. It's technical facts vs subjectiveness.
People expect too much from a 400$ box.

In the entire history of console gaming, the most technically powerful or graphically impressive hardware has rarely, if ever, been the most successful, and in an age where the big two home machines perform seemingly identical to any but the most discerning of eyes, it's even more silly to still think they are valid arguments for or against either as value propositions.

It's like watching a Digital Foundry video on performance comparisons and the comments are just a bunch of people leaning over their keyboards waiting to see if their side "won". I honestly wonder if those people actually enjoy video games or if they just really care about impressing someone.

trufenix

bye felicia
This is so not the PS3 vs. 360 again. Both these consoles are essentially PCs. Both are capable of "easily" being able to port / create games that can be played on themselves or on normal PC rigs, though at the moment the PS4 is slightly easier. I wonder what will happen when Windows 10 and DX12 drops and all/most PC games run DX12 which will be native to the Xbox One?

If any of that were true, we wouldn't be here. There wouldn't be conversations happening for every major release as to wether this is finally going to be the XBone game that matches its rival.

Regardless, if all you are interested in is getting the most bang for you buck, then you are gaming wrong with either console. That was my earlier point.
If this is a PC gaming suggestion, no thanks. PC is an expensive, unreliable platform that requires constant attention. My PS4 is a simple creature that does what I ask and requests no maintenance.

Again, 900p means shit...ESPECIALLY if you are "blind as a bat" as at that point you are only reinforcing what I said before, that this "issue" is a mind share thing; it is all in you head. GET OVER YOURSELF.
I don't care about whatever 180p adds up to in visual stimulation. I'll never see it. I care about the fact that one $400 piece of equipment can't match the other, and hasn't for two years. As I said, this is not a reason for every XBone owner to throw out their systems and commit seppuku. But, it is the kind of thing thrifty customers (like me) consider when getting out their wallets. One system has MGS5 at 1080/60, the other doesn't. I'm not just going to GET OVER big games having qualifiable deficiencies.

trufenix

bye felicia
Totally off topic but how is Microsoft losing the exclusive game? Genuine curiosity of your perception not trying to come off rude in any way
Even ignoring the obvious numbers (www.listwar.com), I just don't see a lot on the MS only slate that makes it worth my money. Certainly, they have some good ones. Locking up Tomb Raider, for instance, is huge. But they still don't have the faith of the eastern developers which means a lot of genres are largely off the table. RPGs that aren't mass effect / skyrim and 3d action games that don't have guns are either coming to both or just the ps4. And while I don't necessarily think any of them are deal breakers yet (Arkham Knight and MKX are currently the only games I think are even worth buying next gen for and neither of them is exclusive) I think the investment for the future is better made on the Sony side for now.