What's new

Xbox One version 900P not 1080p? (Not confirmed)

So was anyone else shouting "OMG only 900p!" while watching Fatal8?

No? That's right, because you couldn't fucking tell. As long as the framerate is solid it doesn't matter.
There's a difference between watching a shitty twitch stream and actually playing the game live. If the video file isn't uncompressed (spoiler alert, it's not) then that's not a fair metric to judge quality difference of 900p vs 1080p.

trufenix

bye felicia
This will probably come off as super Sony fanboyish, but it's my opinion and I'm indifferent in regards to favoring either console: The One struggles because Microsoft focused too much on making it a fucking media hub than a gaming device.
You're not wrong and I totally agree, which is why when I finally bought next gen I went ps4. The tech divide is only going to get wider.

p.s. friend me.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
The quote came from E3 2014 at the Platsation booth where they showed off the game. He talked abou tit there being 1080p, and some
it does, actually. Not as much as some people claim, but the xbones inability to produce true HD titles two years in is significant.
It actually doesn't as the majority of people bitching about resolution couldn't tell the difference even when they are side by side.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/reality-check-64-of-people-can-t-tell-the-differen/2300-6424024/

It's a mind share thing. People need to get over this "resolution-gate" stuff. If all you care about is resolution, then both consoles suck, and have sucked since the beginning. PC is where you should play. Did you hear? GTA5 runs in 4K on PC! Even though less than 5% of people have 4K, that is the "only version worth having" now, is it?

It's meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Where your friends play, FPS, online stability, and a bunch of other under the hood stuff are what really matter. And lets not get started with all the Windows 10 shit that is/will be going on as this year progresses.

These consoles are modular in a sense. They will continue to improve and get better, so again, 1080p vs. 900p is not a big deal.

This will probably come off as super Sony fanboyish, but it's my opinion and I'm indifferent in regards to favoring either console: The One struggles because Microsoft focused too much on making it a fucking media hub than a gaming device.
No, they struggled because they put terrible hardware in it. No amount of focus on gaming versus generalized entertainment changes the hardware that they put in the box and the price point at which they sell that box

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Honestly, I like the features of the XB1, especially the TV feature. It's one of the reasons I chose it over the PS4(that and Gears).

E

Eldriken

You can definitely tell the difference when a game is in front of you. Don't know if 900p is true but still why would you want to settle for less?
...because the slight resolution difference shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game? I enjoy eye candy and all just as much as the next person, but it really isn't that important to me. How the game runs from the beginning to the end is what matters to me.

You're not wrong and I totally agree, which is why when I finally bought next gen I went ps4. The tech divide is only going to get wider.

p.s. friend me.
What's your PSN?

E

Eldriken

No, they struggled because they put terrible hardware in it. No amount of focus on gaming versus generalized entertainment changes the hardware that they put in the box and the price point at which they sell that box
That's kinda what I meant. The hardware seems to be more geared towards media support than gaming.

As an owner of both consoles, and having personally tested exact same versions of games on both with a resolution disparity, I can confidently say that I do not care even a little bit if the X1 version is 900p lol.

I believe it was confirmed 1080p on both consoles. I think in the recent Angry Joe interview it was also confirmed 1080p, but my memory is a bit shaky on that.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
1080P. I just didn't go and buy a my first "48" LED flat screen with a kick ass sound system coming by Thursday for 900P? Aww Hell Nah.

It's 1080P because I said so!

Onilordasmodeus

There's a difference between watching a shitty twitch stream and actually playing the game live. If the video file isn't uncompressed (spoiler alert, it's not) then that's not a fair metric to judge quality difference of 900p vs 1080p.
There is a difference...but were you watching the Fatal 8 saying "this looks like SHIT! This is only [enter resolution here]!" I bet not.

trufenix

bye felicia
It actually doesn't as the majority of people bitching about resolution couldn't tell the difference even when they are side by side.
This isn't about perception of visual quality. I'm as blind as a bat and can't tell the difference between a vhs tape and a blu ray. This is about one thing not being able to do what the other can't and a four hundred dollar entertainment investment for the next few years. Its this today, whats the "just good enough" excuse for the next AAA title? And the one after that?

This is ironically the same way the PS3 started off at a deficit to the 360. Tiny differences in architecture and hardware capability that became a ground swell. Sony went back to the drawing board, spent a ton of money and made up the difference. Now most people have forgotten how shitty the ps3 launch was. Microsoft will have to do the same or accept they aren't going to win the cross platform game. And since they appear to also be losing the exclusive game, that's big.

xbox always aims for performance over eye candy.
better min frame rate > 1080p
That's up to the developers.. Not microsoft/sony..

The reason a lot of the xbox games have a lower resolution is because the hardware isn't quite as good as in the PS4. In the end, it's really not that big of a deal. As long as the experience is solid, people will be happy.

There is a difference...but were you watching the Fatal 8 saying "this looks like SHIT! This is only [enter resolution here]!" I bet not.
Video production is my hobby, I work with uncompressed game footage on a daily basis. I also watched the VODs full screen on a 1440p120 monitor. It didn't look like shit, no, but it was definitely very far from optimal. Could I tell the difference between 900p and 1080p on a twitch stream which is limited to a bitrate of 3500mbps? No, of course not. There's so much compression artifact that it doesn't matter. But that's not the argument. If you put 900p60, 1080p60, 1440p60, and 2160p60 uncompressed video streams up in a blind test, back-to-back on a 2160p60 capable display, the higher resolutions would look better every time.

Onilordasmodeus

This isn't about perception of visual quality. I'm as blind as a bat and can't tell the difference between a vhs tape and a blu ray. This is about one thing not being able to do what the other can't and a four hundred dollar entertainment investment for the next few years. Its this today, whats the "just good enough" excuse for the next AAA title? And the one after that?

This is ironically the same way the PS3 started off at a deficit to the 360. Tiny differences in architecture and hardware capability that became a ground swell. Sony went back to the drawing board, spent a ton of money and made up the difference. Now most people have forgotten how shitty the ps3 launch was. Microsoft will have to do the same or accept they aren't going to win the cross platform game. And since they appear to also be losing the exclusive game, that's big.
This is so not the PS3 vs. 360 again. Both these consoles are essentially PCs. Both are capable of "easily" being able to port / create games that can be played on themselves or on normal PC rigs, though at the moment the PS4 is slightly easier. I wonder what will happen when Windows 10 and DX12 drops and all/most PC games run DX12 which will be native to the Xbox One?

Regardless, if all you are interested in is getting the most bang for you buck, then you are gaming wrong with either console. That was my earlier point.

Again, 900p means shit...ESPECIALLY if you are "blind as a bat" as at that point you are only reinforcing what I said before, that this "issue" is a mind share thing; it is all in you head. GET OVER YOURSELF.