What's new

x-ray in hgh level gameplay

Honestly, after reading MKF's post, i dont even know what my post said.

Oh well, at least i agree with me.

@ THTB. No, its stupid and encourages players to use combos that take no skill to do. Compare MKA (hardest combos) to MKDC(easiest combos) nuff said.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol check you're funny :p to sum it up, I'm against 3 breakers but more so how it is now. How's that? :p to to each his own my friend

getting meter when you are blocking an attack i am ok with it as long as the person who is doing the attack gets more meter than who is blocking the attack. what i am not ok with is getting meter when you are eating a combo i really do not like that. if you did not have meter to break my combo when i started my combo you should eat the whole combo and build not meter for it.

MKF30

I feel the opposite of you lol ^ if someone is just bombarding the other guy, the defensive player should gain faster then the attacker but the attacker should gain as well just not as fast.

I think not only should the meter be balanced but they have to consider how a weaker player is going to deal with a more aggressive player as well.

I feel the opposite of you lol ^ if someone is just bombarding the other guy, the defensive player should gain faster then the attacker but the attacker should gain as well just not as fast.

I think not only should the meter be balanced but they have to consider how a weaker player is going to deal with a more aggressive player as well.
I however will agree with Riu lol. If you're getting whomped on, why do you get a free upgrade? Why wouldn't the aggressive player be rewarded more so. Then again I'm very biased against turtling.

MKF30

I'm fine with both players getting/gaining meter power but if they give the attacker more then the defensive player that's not very balanced lol. Never said anything about a free upgrade but if you do a 40% combo to someone they should gain at least half or more then half off of that from their meter lol.

Actually I meant the meter gain as the freebie lol. But I still don't see why the meter should be gained from taking a full combo. Blocking I can understand as a reward for smart gameplay (in theory), but getting caught should net you less of a life bar. The balance coming from you have just as much chance to do the same to me. That's how I see it atleast

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
A weaker player shouldn't get rewarded for losing, really. It's whatever, though...not like this hasn't existed in past games, anyway.

MKF30

well i guess every body knows how to block
lol ^ not exactly what I meant but whatever lol the important thing is that the meter is balanced in general despite the attacker/defender. I don't think either should have an advantage overall, so that's my official stance on that. Make it equal for both players.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
A weaker player shouldn't get rewarded for losing, really. It's whatever, though...not like this hasn't existed in past games, anyway.
Kinda agree, If your eating a combo It's not terrible that you get some meter, but the attacker should get a-lot more than you are naturally.

TWZTID

Noob
I'm fine with both players getting/gaining meter power but if they give the attacker more then the defensive player that's not very balanced lol. Never said anything about a free upgrade but if you do a 40% combo to someone they should gain at least half or more then half off of that from their meter lol.
explain to me how its balanced to let a defender gain more meter than the aggressor? so u should be rewarded for not doin a damn thing but block?

how did u feel about the first hit on mkdc giving u almost 1 full bar?

MKF30

That rarely if ever happened to me in MKDC online, and only Flash, Kahn, Raiden and GL were really able to fill it up uber fast at times but that aside....I was saying IF they go with the one player being able to fill their meter up faster then lean towards the more helpless player, otherwise make it equal if you haven't read my latest comment for both players so that it's balanced.

And I never said you should be rewarded for not doing anything and holding block. I didn't even mention block, I said if you eat a 40-50% combo, you should be at least gain half your meter if you're eating a combo of that %.

TWZTID

Noob
u dont deserve half ur meter.... if anything, the person getting combo'd should only get a quarter of what the offensive person is getting... if that.

MKF30

I didn't say half, I said almost. This meter in case you're unaware is larger then MKDC's meter and has 3 levels, not 2. So I'm also taking that into account. I think both should be around equal though so neither should have the edge over the other.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I think the receiver should earn a little more bar then the aggressor at the time. If they guy can't defend himself or he's a scrub then he needs some way to maintain a chance against a halfway decent or a good player..

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
He can get better then
This.

To be more clear, like Ermacs, I don't mind getting some meter for taking damage. It's been that way in SF for a while, actually. Just more than the aggressor is stupid, though.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I think the receiver should earn a little more bar then the aggressor at the time. If they guy can't defend himself or he's a scrub then he needs some way to maintain a chance against a halfway decent or a good player..
Ive never really subscribed to this line of thinking for lots of reasons. But two of the main reasons would have to be:

1. If the player of lesser ability can hang with the high level player simply because the mechanics of the game make it possible for him to do so, then what motivation does he have to try and improve? Hes doing fine against much better players simply because the game makes it possible for him to do so. Why does he need to improve then? In his mind he probably thinks hes doing just fine.

2. Now what about from the high level players point of view. Here we have a player who has put in countless hours to learn the nuances of the games engine, more hours of practice, and is always striving to become a better player. But for what? The game itself is working against him. His opponent is recieving more of an award for taking damage than he is for dishing it out. Does that seem right? It doesnt to me and it probably wouldnt for the high level player either. He has worked hard to be as good as he is and here he is having to deal with a player who is not nearly as good as he is but is able to hang with him simply because thats the way the game is.

This is one of the reasons newer Mortal Kombat games tend to get played for about 2 months by the community's high level players and then they abandon it for better games. But this is NOT the communities fault. You cant expect a high level player to stick it out with a bad game. And if the meter game works as you suggest, then we will indeed have ourselves a bad game, and all the high level players will abandon it after a month.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The "revenge" meter in SSF4 is one of the main reasons I hate that game. That plus the revenge meter giving you your characters best attack, an ultra.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, stupid.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Ive never really subscribed to this line of thinking for lots of reasons. But two of the main reasons would have to be:

1. If the player of lesser ability can hang with the high level player simply because the mechanics of the game make it possible for him to do so, then what motivation does he have to try and improve? Hes doing fine against much better players simply because the game makes it possible for him to do so. Why does he need to improve then? In his mind he probably thinks hes doing just fine.

2. Now what about from the high level players point of view. Here we have a player who has put in countless hours to learn the nuances of the games engine, more hours of practice, and is always striving to become a better player. But for what? The game itself is working against him. His opponent is recieving more of an award for taking damage than he is for dishing it out. Does that seem right? It doesnt to me and it probably wouldnt for the high level player either. He has worked hard to be as good as he is and here he is having to deal with a player who is not nearly as good as he is but is able to hang with him simply because thats the way the game is.

This is one of the reasons newer Mortal Kombat games tend to get played for about 2 months by the community's high level players and then they abandon it for better games. But this is NOT the communities fault. You cant expect a high level player to stick it out with a bad game. And if the meter game works as you suggest, then we will indeed have ourselves a bad game, and all the high level players will abandon it after a month.
Very well said, Rob. I couldn't agree more.

BecomingDeath13's view is more at a scrubs point of view (no offense to BecomingDeath13). Why should the receiver get rewarded because they aren't doing well? I think they should get something, but certainly not more than the aggressor.

MKF30

There's a revenge meter in SF4 or SSF4? I just have SF4 but hardly play it.

I know about the focus attacks and super moves/ultras. Anyway, as long as it's balanced that's all I care about at this point.

There's a revenge meter in SF4 or SSF4? I just have SF4 but hardly play it.

I know about the focus attacks and super moves/ultras. Anyway, as long as it's balanced that's all I care about at this point.
The revenge meter is the ultra meter. And not to sound like an echo now, I hate ultras. I'm won/lost so many games because of it.
I actually saw an example of how bad the ultras can be in SSF4 last night on Team Spooky's stream. Rose v Zangief where the Rose got 2 ultras a round (not match, round) because Zangief deals more damage to make up for his slow movement speed. The Rose then won.

MKF30

That's ok lol from what I'm gathering here a lot of people here don't seem to fond of the Ultras in SF4....I think they're blahh lol but MK's X-rays are more brutal and cinematic IMO so I like that lol. Wow, two ultras a round? Shit...

Oh ok, got ya thanks for clearing up the revenge thing. Got confused there initially lol

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?

Yeah, I get where your coming from and quite honestly I was halfway asleep (hopped up on sleeping pills and benadryl (I have insomnia everyone btw)) when I was writing my response above. I do agree at everything you've brought up and I really don't know why I wasn't thinking clearly. I feel stupid now lol.

Anyway. Yeah, the guy getting punished should gain bar but not as much as the one giving the beating. However with the game attempting to appeal to both casual and hardcore gamers its gonna be an issue. I'm not sure how severe, but I get the feeling its gonna be an obstacle.

Very well said, Rob. I couldn't agree more.

BecomingDeath13's view is more at a scrubs point of view (no offense to BecomingDeath13). Why should the receiver get rewarded because they aren't doing well? I think they should get something, but certainly not more than the aggressor.
None taken. I'm not a high level player. Probably a long way from it. I probably sit at the middle of high level and scrub lol. I'll tell you one thing though.. If mk9 turns out actually being a good game, I'm damn sure gonna work my ass off to get closer too high level. The only thing I really play high level are FPS lol I know its sad :( but oh well. I drifting from topic now.