What's new

Would you prefer MK10 w/o a Block Button?

Should the Block Button stay?

• Yes.

Votes: 127 73.0%
  • No, MK10 should be back to block

Votes: 48 27.6%

• Total voters

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
The myth of no crossups in MK has been debunked haha! It would still be nice to have the option to hold back. Players will have to understand they are taking a risk by doing so.
Yeah.. I actually practiced that believe it or not. (Just kuz I thought it looked kool and my character kombos from Jump Kicks. lol.)

Holding back to block also changes movement too. I remember at WNF against FLoE I had trouble blocking his air projectile (Green Lantern) and checking/punishing him with push (Raven) afterward because by holding back I was moving farther from him. I kouldn't block it low because it was a jumping attack too. Something I kouldn't get used to that fast.

KRYS9984

Noob
Block Button has to stay for Mortal Kombat or else it would be an abomination.

I agree with GGA Dizzy on his previous posts. If you want to play Injustice, go right ahead; Mortal Kombat has its own distinct feel (referring to the 2D style games) and drawing inspiration from the classics and MK9 is ideal imho. No transitions, no interactables, no LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG ass stages (in IGAU the characters are way too far from each other at max range), nada.

Also, making a game the least complicated possible while still maintaining depth and strategy is far better than trying to add a bunch of stuff to reinvent the wheel. I like the versatility of Injustice but at times I think it would be better if things were a little more simplistic.

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
exactly... mk is very intricate and often based on intelligence, vs button mashers. I mean some characters are in there like noob for other people to play with that have simple moves, but try that with sheeva and see what happens. Plus we would loose a crap load of moves because it gets in the way.

Amadeous

Noob
That would not only force people using BTB to block cross ups correctly while others are not affected but would also make moves like Smoke's teleport not be able to be in the game. It would basically break the game lol
But people would pick BTB consensually.

If it hurts them with crossups they did it to themself.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
MK is my favourite game of all time but I'd prefer it if they used back to block, to be honest.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Not nostalgia when you understand how fast MK is, how fast teleports are.
Why would pressing the other direction be hard? And the speed is irrelevant, look at KOF13 that game is fast as hell but its still back to block. Block button is a waste in my eyes.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Why would pressing the other direction be hard? And the speed is irrelevant, look at KOF13 that game is fast as hell but its still back to block. Block button is a waste in my eyes.
Lol you dont remember smoke and scorpion? Think you can do that shit reliably at kung lao and raiden? I am not really sure you have played mk9 much.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Lol you dont remember smoke and scorpion? Think you can do that shit reliably at kung lao and raiden? I am not really sure you have played mk9 much.
Yea ive played mk9 alot, scorpion tele would be hella easy to react to since it has alot of startup, as for smokes? They could just use the same system as injustice and have down for blocking. Why would that be any different than an extra button?

theyre both a single button, im pretty sure it makes no difference
Block button is imho the easiest way to block since no true crossovers.
The only thing that matters for NRS is that every thing should be extremely easy!
Ed Boon says:
I feel that fighting games have become more and more technical over the last ten years.(LOL) And some people just don’t have the kind of patience to sit and learn all of the moves and secrets.

So we really wanted to create something that a casual player - the superhero fan, someone who just likes Batman - could pick up and start enjoying right away. We want to cater for the tournament guys, but at the same time draw in new players who might not have bought a fighting game before.
source: http://spong.com/feature/10111008/Interview-Netherrealm-Studios-Ed-Boon

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Keep the block button. In addition to staying true to tradition, it only makes sense to have a dedicated block button. Blocking by holding back is counter-intuitive and error-prone. I don't want my character to back dash when I want him to block or vice-versa. I want to be able to sit on the other side of the screen and just block. In Injustice I can't do that, I have to hold down and back, which is just silly. One thing that's happening to me in Injustice is when I want to apply poking pressure to the opponent, I'll often confuse my directions and hold down back instead of down forward. Other times if I want to block I'll press down forward instead of down back and I get blown up for it. None of those issues exist with a Block button. Having a Block button also makes it easier to block cross-over jumps.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Adding BTB would add more depth to MK and make it less scrubby. For one thing, adding BTB would add true crossups to the gameplay. This would expand the oki game by adding a crossup/neutral jump option into the fold. Also, removing the block button would force the defensive player to think more strategicly. Intead of holding a block button that could answer most situations, the player would now have to predict which direction to block to avoid crossups. Which makes it less scrubby and encourages the player to learn his/her opponents patterns and habits.

Lets be honest though, it would be odd playing MK without a block button, so Im torn. NRS should definitely implement hit trades and double K.O's. As well as in game frame data and a thorough training mode. Fixing bugs, glitches, and infinites is a given.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Guys, you need to stop saying that (x function) is what makes MK. MK changes all the time. Removing the block button is necessary because it's holding back the design and fluidity of the game....
Huh?! How is it holding back the design and fluidity of the game. That sentence doesn't even make sense. Having a Block button is simply a better game mechanic. You want to block, you press a button, it's the thing that makes most sense from a gameplay point of view and it is also the most intuitive thing to do. It doesn't make sense to use directional inputs on a controller to perform an action. Directional inputs are for moving, buttons are for performing action. This is not limited to fighting games only. For example, In Metal Gear Solid 2 at the very end where you have to fight Solidus Snake and all you have is the High-Frequency Blade, in order to perform any hit with that sword you had to use the left analog stick. That was an incredibly frustrating fight because of that one bad game mechanic. It doesn't make any sense to perform attacks with directional inputs, it's just awkward and counter-intuitive.

I have played fighting games with both a Block button (MK, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter) and without (Tekken, Street Fighter, Injustice) so I have plenty of experience with both. It's not a matter of sticking to tradition, it's simply a matter of which is the better mechanic from a gameplay point of view, and that is the Block button.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
Huh?! How is it holding back the design and fluidity of the game. That sentence doesn't even make sense. Having a Block button is simply a better game mechanic. You want to block, you press a button, it's the thing that makes most sense from a gameplay point of view and it is also the most intuitive thing to do. It doesn't make sense to use directional inputs on a controller to perform an action. Directional inputs are for moving, buttons are for performing action. This is not limited to fighting games only. For example, In Metal Gear Solid 2 at the very end where you have to fight Solidus Snake and all you have is the High-Frequency Blade, in order to perform any hit with that sword you had to use the left analog stick. That was an incredibly frustrating fight because of that one bad game mechanic. It doesn't make any sense to perform attacks with directional inputs, it's just awkward and counter-intuitive.

I have played fighting games with both a Block button (MK, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter) and without (Tekken, Street Fighter, Injustice) so I have plenty of experience with both. It's not a matter of sticking to tradition, it's simply a matter of which is the better mechanic from a gameplay point of view, and that is the Block button.

You can't really say that having a block button is the better mechanic. It's entirely subjective.