What's new

Would you prefer MK10 w/o a Block Button?

Should the Block Button stay?

• Yes.

Votes: 127 73.0%
  • No, MK10 should be back to block

Votes: 48 27.6%

• Total voters

Alexandru Pascu

XBLGT:LordR3van90
Eeeeh, that's not entirely true. I can't speak for stance switching in Injustice, but in MK9...it helped some moves to connect.

For example, when Raiden uses EX Lightning Bolt, it alternates between two speeds each time he uses it. I switched stances with him in training mode for the Hell of it and much to my shock - no pun intended - the speed of the second part of the attack changed considerably. Like, it hits faster than it normally would if you change from your default stance, but keeps you from starting a combo if your opponent is grounded.

Don't ask me about the above. I have no idea why it works that way.

For a more practical use in general, you could use stance switching as your way of "faking" movement, maybe provoke a reaction from your opponent. The mind-games, bro. It works.

By the way STORMS - I vote keeping the block button to preserve MK tradition.
I'm pretty sure there's nothing of the kind in Injustice. After all lightning doesn't strike twice....(Sorry)

SaltyPrime

More salt please.
I just want Bo Rai Cho back please, but I think the block button is to synonymous with the franchise to get rid of it would almost be blasphemy. I hope NRS doesn't get too caught up in the success of Injustice and changes MK drastically. I love Injustice I will keep playing Injustice when MK 10 comes out (Injustice will probably sit on the back burner for the first couple weeks just like MK 9 has for me since Injustice came out lol) but don't try to make the next MK into an Injustice clone.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
I'm pretty sure there's nothing of the kind in Injustice. After all lightning doesn't strike twice....(Sorry)
I remember something about being able to tap 1+stance switch while blocking would break throw attempts easily. I'll dig around a bit, but I think it's buried somewhere in the IGAU general forum.

Sasuga

Noob
I would have liked Injustice with a block button. The way NRS deals with controls are just a bad combination with hold back to block, imo.

Alexandru Pascu

I remember something about being able to tap 1+stance switch while blocking would break throw attempts easily. I'll dig around a bit, but I think it's buried somewhere in the IGAU general forum.
Unless it's more forgiving than breaking a throw with just a press of a button, in this case L1 or LB, it's a bit redundant. But still I didn't about that so I suppose foot in mouth....

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Ok STORMS think of it this way, how would MK be with back to block? Kabal sweep knockdowns would be ridiculous because he can mixup nomad dashing in front or behind you and fuck you up. Scorpion and smoke teleports would be overpowered. And its always been a button to block since forever and the pace of the game is way faster with it too. MK is a fast pace game and needs to stay like that. Back to block would make it feel stiff kinda like SF and IGAU. Mk isn't mk without a block button so you must have it in simple as that.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Ok STORMS think of it this way, how would MK be with back to block? Kabal sweep knockdowns would be ridiculous because he can mixup nomad dashing in front or behind you and fuck you up. Scorpion and smoke teleports would be overpowered. And its always been a button to block since forever and the pace of the game is way faster with it too. MK is a fast pace game and needs to stay like that. Back to block would make it feel stiff kinda like SF and IGAU. Mk isn't mk without a block button so you must have it in simple as that.
Awesome reply. Thank you.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Awesome reply. Thank you.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
Unless it's more forgiving than breaking a throw with just a press of a button, in this case L1 or LB, it's a bit redundant. But still I didn't about that so I suppose foot in mouth....
I think it was more forgiving in the aspect that if they don't throw, instead of tossing out a random 1, you would just stance switch instead. Basically a safe throw break while still maintaining the ability to block.

Alexandru Pascu

I think it was more forgiving in the aspect that if they don't throw, instead of tossing out a random 1, you would just stance switch instead. Basically a safe throw break while still maintaining the ability to block.
So if you made a bad read you could basically still come away unpunished. That actually sounds pretty useful. Taking that into practice mode as soon as I get home.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Mk is block button.
Although a option to use back instead would be good for those who prefer it. But they will have to deal with cross over attacks :p

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
Mk is block button.
Although a option to use back instead would be good for those who prefer it. But they will have to deal with cross over attacks :p
No different than Marvel really, except in Marvel, you fuck up your block that's 100% gone.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
That's a matter of taste, don't you think ?
That is true, but those 3D MKs had single digit entrant tournaments whenever there actually was one. People can give other reasons but tbh those games just weren't competitive because the mechanics and balance were totally broke/bad. I don't want a game that is anything like that for MK10.

I'd much rather have it be like MK9 where it was influenced by MK1-3 and pretty much ignored the 3D MK's playstyle/mechanics (aside from breaker and a few MKvDC system carryovers). It's much like SF4, where it drew most of its influence from SSF2T and ignored a lot of mechanics in the other later SF games, aside from a few smaller things like EX moves.

If MK10 drew its playstyle inspiration from MK1-3 and MK9, i'd be happy.