What's new

Worst MK?

Armageddon has to be my least favorite (not counting the gameboy games which were just terrible ports, not really their own games.) I didn't like Deception much either. I was never a fan of the 3D games, but at least with Deadly Alliance it seemed more original at the time.

Mortal Kombat games are not playable as hand-held games. Not the Game Boy, not the Nintendo DS - none of them. Controls feel all clunky, especially when you have to make fast inputs so as to stay in the game. You're much better off playing the good shit on a television screen.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat for DS actually plays well control wise. The clicky feel of the DS control pad and buttons make it fast and responsive. I always know exactly what I'm hitting.

Obviously it's better to play on a TV. Handheld systems are made for when you don't have a TV and game system around..by your logic, handheld systems just shouldn't exist because playing on a tv is better?

I picked up Ultimate Mortal Kombat for the Nintendo DS and was not happy with how the controls were laid out.
Actually they're the EXACT same controls as any SNES Mortal Kombat, or pretty much any console version of the original games -_- Not to mention the controls are completely customizable in the options. So I'm really curious what makes you say that.

I don't like the game too much myself. MK3 is probably my least favorite of the original games and the hit detection can be off at times in this version. That's an issue with lazy porting though and not system capabilities. But as far as controls go, you seem to be making things up lol.

Dark_Rob

Noob
The 3D MK's were obviously horrible, but to be honest, no MK has got it right yet. Even UMK3, widely regarded as the best competitive MK game has its share of big big problems. In that game it comes down to jabs. Nothing else matters but jabs and the corner infinite. If you can jab better than your opponent, your going to win. Marvirrasta proved this decisively at NEC against the best competition UMK3 has.

MK1 had one viable character, Sonya, even without the leg grab infinite she is still far and way the best.
MK2 was better, there were 3 viable characters, Mileena,Jax and Liu Kang, everyone else was trash.
MK3 Subzero, ice clone in your grill. Nuff said.
MK4 Not bad actually from a technical point of view, but very wonky and again it had super charcaters, Tanya was ridiculous but once Reptile pulled out his weapon...."By the power of GreySkull"
MKT I do not have enough time to type out all the problems in this game. So instead I will leave you with this:

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Obviously it's better to play on a TV. Handheld systems are made for when you don't have a TV and game system around..by your logic, handheld systems just shouldn't exist because playing on a tv is better?

Actually they're the EXACT same controls as any SNES Mortal Kombat, or pretty much any console version of the original games -_- Not to mention the controls are completely customizable in the options. So I'm really curious what makes you say that.

I don't like the game too much myself. MK3 is probably my least favorite of the original games and the hit detection can be off at times in this version. That's an issue with lazy porting though and not system capabilities. But as far as controls go, you seem to be making things up lol.
Hey, hey. Don't put words in my mouth, please. I happen to own a Nintendo DSi myself as well as some compatible games, why the fuck would I say we shouldn't have handheld systems to play with? I just said Mortal Kombat doesn't look so good on such systems.

As for the second half of your comment, however...I never truly owned an SNES. I only got to play it with a friend and the only MK that was played was MK2. That was like fifteen years ago, when I was only six. Didn't take it as seriously as I do now. As such, my experience with SNES lasted only for like a half-year or so, hence I wouldn't note any comparisons between it and the DS.

Between a standard controller and the buttons on the DS itself, it felt kinda awkward to adjust. But then, I spent all my MK time on the big screen and not a small screen, so you can attribute that to a lack of experience on my part.

Tim Static

Adminerator
The 3D MK's were obviously horrible, but to be honest, no MK has got it right yet. Even UMK3, widely regarded as the best competitive MK game has its share of big big problems. In that game it comes down to jabs. Nothing else matters but jabs and the corner infinite. If you can jab better than your opponent, your going to win. Marvirrasta proved this decisively at NEC against the best competition UMK3 has.
I dont totally agree with that, but maybe "the best competition UMK3 has on the east coast." ;)

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Mortal Kombat Trilogy...deception was alright, but I mostly played puzzle kombat lol (wish that was online, would have been epic)
Did you ever play Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix??? Best game ever! :p
I love it and you can play online (well on XBox live)

HangNail

TrevarThePastor
MK:mythologies and MK4. Mythologies must gave been a sick joke or something. And MK4 was the worst 3D MK. And it forced MK into a downward spiral until MK9 came out.

Hey, hey. Don't put words in my mouth, please. I happen to own a Nintendo DSi myself as well as some compatible games, why the fuck would I say we shouldn't have handheld systems to play with? I just said Mortal Kombat doesn't look so good on such systems.

As for the second half of your comment, however...I never truly owned an SNES. I only got to play it with a friend and the only MK that was played was MK2. That was like fifteen years ago, when I was only six. Didn't take it as seriously as I do now. As such, my experience with SNES lasted only for like a half-year or so, hence I wouldn't note any comparisons between it and the DS.

Between a standard controller and the buttons on the DS itself, it felt kinda awkward to adjust. But then, I spent all my MK time on the big screen and not a small screen, so you can attribute that to a lack of experience on my part.
I'm not putting words in your mouth, that's just what your comment suggested. ANY game is going to be better on a home console. But the point of handhelds is for convenience the ability to take it with you wherever you go. There's going to be some drawbacks, but that certainly doesn't automatically make it unplayable.

As for the controls, it's exactly the same layout as the original games whether it be on SNES, Playstation, Xbox 360, PS3 etc..there's been quite a few revivals of these games on different systems and the controls have always stayed the same. So I was just curious what seemed wrong with the control scheme..and like I said, you can completely customize the controls anyway.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I dont totally agree with that, but maybe "the best competition UMK3 has on the east coast." ;)
Fair enough Tim. But the only other scene that could possibly hang with the east coast UMK3 players would be the South Americans(Hanzo,RZP etc. etc.) And while thats not likely to happen anytime soon due to the distance(which is a shame because Id love to see it.) I still believe whoever would win would be the superior jabber.
Im not knocking UMK3 for being all about jabs, I love UMK3, just stating that is in fact all about jabs.

PS. If South America was ever to face the east coast I wonder what rules we would play under. As far as I know MKK bans the corner infinite as well as relaunchers. Where as on the east coast everything goes.

MKK hanzo

haha sorry for the late answer

Fair enough Tim. But the only other scene that could possibly hang with the east coast UMK3 players would be the South Americans(Hanzo,RZP etc. etc.) And while thats not likely to happen anytime soon due to the distance(which is a shame because Id love to see it.) I still believe whoever would win would be the superior jabber.
Im not knocking UMK3 for being all about jabs, I love UMK3, just stating that is in fact all about jabs.

PS. If South America was ever to face the east coast I wonder what rules we would play under. As far as I know MKK bans the corner infinite as well as relaunchers. Where as on the east coast everything goes.
We can play in the "free for all no rules" if demanded but believe me thar will cause some upsets or the game will not "look" well on the not knowing players.

Pretty much anything other than MK2, UMK3, MK4 and MK9 aren't good for high level play.
I'd still like to see all of the classics be tightened up every 10 years or so.

I would have loved to see what MK4 could have developed into, had it gotten the opportunity. I know the collision is pretty sloppy in that game, but compared to the other 3D games at least they were consistent and it's really fun to play (N64 MK4 may be a contender for the fastest MK game ever). Most people didn't give it a chance out of ignorance, just like any MK2 player that refuses to play UMK3.

I think the only thing better than getting a quality title like MK9 is that it's only going to get better from here on out. I just wish this change happened about a decade ago. Better late than never.

AND HANZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!: are you grading MKSM as a fighter or an adventure / beat'em up?
haha just put in there, maybe taking both aspects, I love it as a fun co op, and it can be the smash bros. of MK easily

iam_ct

GodofShadows
Deception was good ppl. That game introduced chest mode which was fun as hell
but MKA was the work mk ever but had the best intro in my mind

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I love all the Mortal Kombats, MK has always been my favorite video game series ever since I was little. MK is pretty much the only reason I ever owned video games lol. So I can't really say any of them at all are "bad". But the ones that were the least best I guess were

MK1- No combos, barely anything you can do in the game at all. Basically sweep jab and uppercut wars lol

MK Deadly Alliance- Idk this game just felt really stiff to me, I didn't really like the fighting engine so much compared to the other Mortal Kombats. Plus "power-up" and "impale" were pretty lame to me.

Most of the MK games are just really fun, none of them can really be played on a tournament level tho except Mortal Kombat 9 and MKvsDC (if you exclude flash and superman)

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Out of every MK game I've ever played, Mythologies was the biggest PoS. I had the N64 version, so I couldn't even enjoy the hilariously awful cutscenes. Generally, I consider it one of the worst N64 games I ever bought.

Out of the actual fighting games, the one I disliked the most was MK4. I'd never played any MK games competitively until MK9, so I actually really enjoyed the 3D games (excluding Armageddon). They had so much single-player content, and were just very fun casual games to play with friends. MK4 lacked that....and was just so boring. I hated the look and feel of the game too, as well as the overall roster. That said, I loved the originals, even though they had less content. Me and my sister just goofed around playing those old games when we were little. Nostalgia makes me wuv them even though I never, ever learned how to play them. lol.

Never played MKvDC. It just seemed so silly. After Armageddon, I didn't expect to return to this series again, but when I heard all the praise MK9 was receiving, I tried it, and I love it. It's the first game I have ever played online, the first game I've ever played competitively, and the first fighting game I've really gotten into that isn't casual-based (3D MKs, Power Stone, Super Smash Bros, etc).

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
MK1 has combos. The game is really footsies intensive.

MKD and MKA are tied for worst.
That makes me sad :(.
I had a blast with Deception. Konquest Mode is still one of my favorite video-game-based things of all time.
MKA, on the other hand, I'll give you. One of those cases like Brady always says of "Better to take your time."
If they'd taken the time to really make that one more unique (Less convoluted Story Mode, non-generic Fatalities & endings, maybe a few more additions to Kreate-A-Fighter...), it could've been legendary.
I'd still take it over MKDC, though. Just to have the fights I could'nt otherwise have in the 3D games.
Cyrax Vs Ashrah, Sektor Vs Bo Rai Cho, Shinnok Vs Havik, etc. Much like Trilogy, diversity of cast is its biggest strength.

Motor Kombat sucked, though. It really did.

AngryWorm

Hitomi's Pet
I think the 'worst' MK I played was Deception, but I still found ways to enjoy it. It needed more Kitana.

Death

Noob
mk9 obviously is the most skillfull MK. But other than that i hated the 3d games. 2D games were fun too but the nostalgia in those games mainly plays a factor.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Probably Deception and Annihilation. Also this is a legitimate question which I'm quite curious about.

Why do so many veterans rate UMK3 above MK9? This is just my own opinion of course but isn't ultimately MK9 a better game on a technical level atleast? I'm kind of hesitant to say that with so many bugs present in MK9 but from what I understood, UMK3 seemed like a run-punching-fest to me along with glitch jabbing later down the road. I realize that alot of veterans may miss "Those days" that the game is associated with; but sincerely?

That sounds like Old Man Syndrome to me.

Again I'm not near as knowledgeable as most of the MK community on this, but thoughts anyone?