What's new

With the end of year fast approaching, has MK11 been everything you'd hoped?

Stanlos

Noob
a blast to play, a bore to watch
Is it boring to watch? I am pretty new to gaming still and only tournaments I have watched thus far are MK11, Injustice 2, and SFV. I have to say that the MK11 and SFV matches have been far more exciting to watch than Injustice 2 matches which were often the same characteristics tossing stuff at each other. The early tournaments for MK11 were thrilling to me due to the variety of characters used and the gameplay itself. So much tension!

Xelz

Go over there!
I loved MK11 as it was described when NRS announced it: a neutral-heavy mind game that would favor spacing over 50/50s, momentum, and zoning craziness.

But the game that I played and watched on tournament streams wasn't that game. Sure, some of the cast fit the original vision. Yet the majority of characters you saw at tournaments were antithetical to whatever MK11 was supposed to be.

Couple that with characters and variations that feel awkwardly incomplete, heavy marketing and design emphasis on custom moves that don't matter for competitive play, and a reward system that favors annoying single-player modes over multiplayer, and you have a game that feels directionless. The vision and execution don't align from soup to nuts.

MK9, MKX, and I2 held my attention all the way until the next NRS game released, both as a player and as an e-sports fan. MK11 lost my interest before EVO.

At least the story mode was good.

To be constructive, there's a lot NRS can learn from MK11 to guide the next MK and Injustice games:
  • Pick a vision for the game and routinely ask yourself "does this character/move fit that design goal?"
  • Graphics and netcode are some of the best - if not the best - in the industry. Keep it up
  • Don't waste development effort on moves that are limited to certain game modes. They're useless for the competitive scene, and they confuse casuals who learn them and then have to re-learn a character when they try graduating to a competitive mode
  • The vast majority of players don't enjoy, or even hate, tower/multiverse modifiers and want to learn/play the game straight up. Since NRS didn't get the message in I2, it should hear the deafening roar from MK11's launch
  • Multiplayer games thrive when players are attracted to and remain addicted to multiplayer modes. Tie rewards and progress to multiplayer at least as much, if not more so, compared to single-player modes
  • Keep mobile F2P gotcha mechanics out of a premium title

But the game that I played and watched on tournament streams wasn't that game. Sure, some of the cast fit the original vision. Yet the majority of characters you saw at tournaments were antithetical to whatever MK11 was supposed to be.
Overall good post, and I strongly agree with the above quoted section and it's one of my larger criticisms as well. They were very clear about their vision during the pre-release Kombat Kasts, and what they were showing seemed to me to be on track and inline with said vision.

After the fact though there are definitely characters that fall outside it, and I personally think it's a shame they haven't rained those characters in. Not to smash things with a NERF stick, but to bring things back in line with the overall vision for the game.

Komatose

The Prettiest
I loved MK11 as it was described when NRS announced it: a neutral-heavy mind game that would favor spacing over 50/50s, momentum, and zoning craziness.

Couple that with characters and variations that feel awkwardly incomplete, heavy marketing and design emphasis on custom moves that don't matter for competitive play, and a reward system that favors annoying single-player modes over multiplayer, and you have a game that feels directionless. The vision and execution don't align from soup to nuts.

MK9, MKX, and I2 held my attention all the way until the next NRS game released, both as a player and as an e-sports fan. MK11 lost my interest before EVO.

At least the story mode was good.

To be constructive, there's a lot NRS can learn from MK11 to guide the next MK and Injustice games:
  • Pick a vision for the game and routinely ask yourself "does this character/move fit that design goal?"
  • Graphics and netcode are some of the best - if not the best - in the industry. Keep it up
  • Don't waste development effort on moves that are limited to certain game modes. They're useless for the competitive scene, and they confuse casuals who learn them and then have to re-learn a character when they try graduating to a competitive mode
  • The vast majority of players don't enjoy, or even hate, tower/multiverse modifiers and want to learn/play the game straight up. Since NRS didn't get the message in I2, it should hear the deafening roar from MK11's launch
  • Multiplayer games thrive when players are attracted to and remain addicted to multiplayer modes. Tie rewards and progress to multiplayer at least as much, if not more so, compared to single-player modes
  • Keep mobile F2P gotcha mechanics out of a premium title
100% agreed entirely.

Everything I've hoped for? Yes and no.

For me it sure has given me everything I could've hoped for and more in terms of graphics, gameplay, roster and once we get our hands on Spawn and Fujin in particular, everyone should be ecstatic with the roster at least! This is for me the most important.

As far as story, aside from the beginning, Johnny seeing himself, the awesome clash between the two Kahns, the part for the Tarkatans, Kollector's role, Sheeva's appearance and Fire God Liu Kang was underwhelming and was far from what I'd hoped for.

I think everyone had high hopes for what would happen with Shinnok, would affect would the severing of his head mean, what would it mean for Raiden, how will Shang Tsung come into play, the Elder Gods and Cetrion's role as well as the family bond with Shinnok. There was lots of intrigue leading up to the release.

Soon we'd find out that while the trailer's hype about the Kahn's, the new mysterious 6 armed dude and return of some fan favourites was mostly worth it, it could not undo the mess that NRS created with another time travel story that left a lot of holes.

While I enjoyed story mode, it was very short compared to what was claimed and just didn't even get into MKX's part. Instead we got a clusterfuck of a DC / Marvel type deal with a chapter driven story that felt rushed and incomplete. Iy was in particular a stab in the gut that Shang Tsung was inexplicably not in, not mentioned and got cut along with Shinnok's part.

The Krypt was very small in the end, since after opening everything I cannot do anything with my koins to get skins and gear I want. The system is just terrible, greedy and asinine. It doesn't help that we know that the Living Forest was supposed to be in there as well as another area I cannot remember right now.

So it was far from what I'd hoped for. I don't mind not knowing what's in the chests, but to make me grind for it and then not even have options to get more skins and gear is just maddening.

The customisation failed miserably, when 5 skins with the most awful colour combinations you can think of are all treated as their own unique skin. Lazy designs, odd customisable gear that is not visible and has no impact, odd masks that do not fit etc. Also clearly favouring certain characters to get more skins than others gets tiring.

In the end, the game is pretty straight forward and the only thing that we can look forward to is more stages and characters. Story DLC to fill the gaps, to include maybe even the DLC MK characters, and a completely new part to the Krypt with chests full of gear and skins would definitely go a long way in being almost everything I had hoped for.

The one part they failed the most is immersion for me though. This has mainly to do with the overall vibe of the game, partly the music and the stages, but also the realism. I feel the more realistic look has taken away from the colourful mk1-9 nostalgic feel we all loved the game for.

This game has better contrast than MKX, but with so many dark stages filled with basic metallic like, brown, green, yellow and red colours it all feels the same. The sky is the same in several stages and most stages have little variety in colours to make anything stand out.

I also feel being closer to the action takes away from feeling immersed in the environment. I have no connection to the world I am playing in. Give me the old stages with more depth, more outside environments and distance over these small environments. Aside from this, there's also just generic stages like the SF bunker, hideout, kano's fight klub, the alley, sea of blood that just don't feel like MK to me.

Music wise, it's partly because of the time travel vibe with the menu turning to sand, the heavy string instruments that turns me off. The stages music itself is quite fine, but I hate that music after you win a match. That whiny string is just off putting, I have turned music off completely for that reason. The music in the menu when you choose characters used to give you that mystic, fantasy, dark MK vibe but this just doesn't.

Pair that with Kronika, the forced DC / Marvel type vibe and story and you have a game that plays and looks like an MK game, but doesn't sound nor feel like it somehow. It's better than MKX, but MKX's story and vibe was more MK to me than this. Could be partially the realism, since MKX stages were the least MK like in its history. MK11 has MKX beat there for sure.

All in all, I've enjoyed playing it for about 6 months on and off and now taking a break until Spawn comes out so I can go into depth with Sindel, Spawn & Joker at the same time. Hoping for the stages to come with the announcement of KP2 and maybe a surprise.

MKX only kept me engaged for the 1st month and then when the game was XL played it a few times, so basically that tells you how I feel about MK11 in perspective as I think many people suffer from revisionist history. MKX was not that great and MK11 did far better in a lot of aspects. MK11 is up there, top 3 in best games of all time, but I cannot help but feel cheated out of a better experience with the story and vibe of the game.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The one part they failed the most is immersion for me though. This has mainly to do with the overall vibe of the game, partly the music and the stages, but also the realism. I feel the more realistic look has taken away from the colourful mk1-9 nostalgic feel we all loved the game for.
I agree so much. Although some stages like Goro's Lair and Tournament do have awesome tracks, they aren't loud enough to create an atmosphere of any type. And you're absolutely right about the vibrancy of colours, or lack thereof, in order to seem more realistic.

Even if Injustice was a comic book game, at least it had beautiful colours. MK11's colour palette is drab, so much that the inclusion of Sektor and Cyrax would even look out of place at this point, but that's what the game needs.

It doesn't feel nostalgic like MK9 did. I just don't get the direction of lowering the stage music and going for colourless and lifeless stages. And why did they ditch the stained glass? That shit was awesome. They could have done some amazing effects with the engine the game is running on with light filtering through and illuminating the room.

And just imagine other classic stages remade. I know they wanna bring in new stuff but at least give the stages character like in the older games. The only amazing stage is the Shirai Ryu temple. Default Tournament is great but it looks better in green, yellow and blue.

Anyways, it may be nitpicky, but I feel like better colours and more distinctive music would make the game so much more fun to play.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
They redeemed Liu Kang so that’s a plus.
minuses however are countless: Stupid plot and no point denying the fact it sucks ass big time, shitty tower mess they made (they could have left the classic towers alone), shitty balance and God awful KB mechanics (JC and Raiden say hi), breakaway messes the inputs, KP costs half the game with 6 chars that were announced MONTHS after the release. I rember lots of people shitting on MKX and I gotta say MKX is a masterpiece compared to this.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Really? I recall people losing it after the first screenshots were released, being in awe of how colourful and vibrant the game looked compared to MKX.
It is more colourful than MKX, cause that game was just earth tones, but compared to MK9 it's still very, very dark. Skins and gear have more colour for the most part, but stages are pretty dull.