What's new

Strategy Why You Shouldn't Quit Matches When You're Getting Bodied

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I love playing people who can body me, as long as the connection is solid. Best way to learn a MU. Get bodied, if you can’t figure out certain stuff they do while playing, afterwards go to training mode. Have the AI do what they were doing then find ways to beat it or defend against it.

The biggest problem people have is they’re very lazy. They don’t want to have to grind or put the work in. It’s easier to just quit and complain on social media to NRS that whatever was beating them needs to be “changed”.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
@Vslayer how do you look for mistakes when you just get boddied the whole match? with no time to react?
even when I escape sometimes that doesn't even work

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
@Vslayer how do you look for mistakes when you just get boddied the whole match? with no time to react?
Normally when I’m playing someone who bodies me I start to figure out proper spacing and improve over a set. If I don’t really improve I go back and watch replays. I’m almost always doing something predictable or wrong that is easy to see in retrospect.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Great post!
Yesterday, I was playing a ranked set against a good Kung Lao. First 2 games I beat him, next 2 games he adjusted (by d2ing under my throw attempts) and won, then last game I adjusted and did lots of walk up into crouch, let him whiff his d2, then I punished. The cycle of playing my game, getting weaknesses in my gameplan exploited, and then adjusting to compensate for those weaknesses was very satisfying and felt great in terms of leveling up as a player. I urge everyone to always think about at least 1 thing they did wrong that can be improved upon whenever you lose a game/set.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
The only caveat I put on this is that you have to do the analysis and know what is important to analyze, you can’t just get mindlessly bodied and hope to absorb skill by proxy.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Playing someone who stomps me is how I learn best normally because I love to analyze my own replays for mistakes. I do normally limit these things to about 25 losses in a row, though. Everyone has a limit where the fun ends. Grinding IGAU Harley vs Sinestro? The most painful thing ever and that is an experience I don’t want to repeat.
Yep, and when we play I know I'm in for a world of hurt but at least I know I can try a ton of tactics and see if they work or not. It does help to play with someone that will challenge you that way. I've learned more with our matches than just beating randos or beating a D3 to grab addict.

Same with @STB Sgt Reed we played a lot of games the first week and I learned a lot about Cass.

Usually, you can identify what the opponent is always doing that's getting you caught in a combo. I think being able to analyze your mistakes takes a while though and good fundamental knowledge. If you find yourself not able to react to anything you need to work on defense and using tools to push them away. If they're always up in you're face you need to learn to control the space more with your character. You can also learn which strings have gaps that can be blocked or punished so you can stop their offense.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Yep, and when we play I know I'm in for a world of hurt but at least I know I can try a ton of tactics and see if they work or not. It does help to play with someone that will challenge you that way. I've learned more with our matches than just beating randos or beating a D3 to grab addict.

Same with @STB Sgt Reed we played a lot of games the first week and I learned a lot about Cass.

Usually, you can identify what the opponent is always doing that's getting you caught in a combo. I think being able to analyze your mistakes takes a while though and good fundamental knowledge. If you find yourself not able to react to anything you need to work on defense and using tools to push them away. If they're always up in you're face you need to learn to control the space more with your character. You can also learn which strings have gaps that can be blocked or punished so you can stop their offense.
The problem Is that it's too freaking hard too find a main everyone is soo fun!
EDIT: focusing on Scorpion rn with cassie as my second most played ATM

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
The problem Is that it's too freaking hard too find a main everyone is soo fun!
That's true, it's good to have knowledge of the whole cast but improving as a player usually lies within mastering one or two characters that you constantly use.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games

I always find our sets interesting, playing against Cassie forces me to really watch my spacing.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Only time I quit, is when I'm winning too easily. I applaud those willing to give me the work for long periods of time.

So this is true to a point.

If you’re losing to someone by a large margin and can’t seem to counteract their play style at all after quite a few games, then continuing to play is not helpful. You’re not learning anything new and it’s a waste of your time.

You’d be better spent trying out things in training mode to find ways around the thing that’s beating you, or learning a different character/variation which may have a better matchup, or trying to improve your fundamentals by watching guides/other people playing.

Losing can be helpful, but if you’re getting continuously slaughtered, you shouldn’t continue to play a set. It’s not productive, and it can just make things frustrating.
Might be one of the only times I've disagreed with you lol. I learn best hands down over long sets playing someone better than me. The bigger the gap in their skill level the better I learn, compared to equal level games. Yesterday for example I got utterly bodied for most of a 25 game set against a top player. Losing 19 in a row at one point, half of them badly. Every few games I'm like "dang let me try this" or "maybe I can work in that". I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel such rage in the middle of losing 19 games that I almost took a literal bite out of my controller.

By games 21-25 though, I won two out of five and the ones I lost were pretty close barring one match. Now while this MU exp is fresh, if I face this character today they'll have to be elite caliber or it will feel much easier than it did two days ago against that same character of someone at my level. If I'm playing someone equal skill or slightly better I may still progress, but not at the rate of playing someone elite.

Playing someone same level you learn, but playing someone way better than you, you learn more because they expose your weaknesses. They blow up your bad habits and punish you for doing things that shouldn't be done in the MU. Playing those games forces you to adjust to adapt to that level of play, which ups your overall play.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Idk how much you coulda learned considering we didn't know wtf we were doing lol

It's week 2/3 now tho,

So roll up them sleeves girl (or roll down if you work at NRS :p) and let's get to learnin'
That's true lmao apart from combos we were in the dark.

But if you wanna play games let me know, I'm fairly confident in my Cass now. I can't wait to get pummelled by Jax XD

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
That's true lmao apart from combos we were in the dark.

But if you wanna play games let me know, I'm fairly confident in my Cass now. I can't wait to get pummelled by Jax XD
If I play jax lol. I play like 17 characters. Currently trying to spend more time on your favorite character (sub zero) lmfao

EDIT: @Ck AeroVoid
Sub Zero is my favorite character of all time. So I'm trying to make myself play him more.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Only time I quit, is when I'm winning too easily. I applaud those willing to give me the work for long periods of time.

Might be one of the only times I've disagreed with you lol. I learn best hands down over long sets playing someone better than me. The bigger the gap in their skill level the better I learn, compared to equal level games. Yesterday for example I got utterly bodied for most of a 25 game set against a top player. Losing 19 in a row at one point, half of them badly. Every few games I'm like "dang let me try this" or "maybe I can work in that". I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel such rage in the middle of losing 19 games that I almost took a literal bite out of my controller.

By games 21-25 though, I won two out of five and the ones I lost were pretty close barring one match. Now while this MU exp is fresh, if I face this character today they'll have to be elite caliber or it will feel much easier than it did two days ago against that same character of someone at my level. If I'm playing someone equal skill or slightly better I may still progress, but not at the rate of playing someone elite.

Playing someone same level you learn, but playing someone way better than you, you learn more because they expose your weaknesses. They blow up your bad habits and punish you for doing things that shouldn't be done in the MU. Playing those games forces you to adjust to adapt to that level of play, which ups your overall play.
Yes I agree.

When I play long sets against people better than me, I tend to learn matchups better and I do much better the next time I face them.

My advice was directed at the newer players who lack most fundamentals; the ones most likely to quit.

A new player losing 100-0 against sonicfox isn’t going to learn anything. A good player losing against sonicfox will learn shittonnes but that’s because they’re able to make the adjustments and do the analysis.

If the gap in skill is huge, the benefit is minimal. If the gap in skill is large, but people are still able to make adjustments, that’s where the improvement comes.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yes I agree.

When I play long sets against people better than me, I tend to learn matchups better and I do much better the next time I face them.

My advice was directed at the newer players who lack most fundamentals; the ones most likely to quit.

A new player losing 100-0 against sonicfox isn’t going to learn anything. A good player losing against sonicfox will learn shittonnes but that’s because they’re able to make the adjustments and do the analysis.

If the gap in skill is huge, the benefit is minimal. If the gap in skill is large, but people are still able to make adjustments, that’s where the improvement comes.
Ah yea I see, exactly!

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I have finally successfully adopted this mindset after so much time. Maybe because I am a bit older now?

Last night for example I played against one guy so long, lost almost every single match until he got bored of winning and left lol so I went to my next opponent, same thing, next opponent, same thing. I took some games here and there but was mostly losing last night but I was determined that I wouldn't improve unless I toughed it out and tried to figure out the MUs and improve my own play.

Im sitting at like 200/200 w/l ratio and I give no f**** lol just trying to get better.