What's new

Strategy Why You Shouldn't Quit Matches When You're Getting Bodied

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm a firm believer that mistakes make us better players, and that analyzing those mistakes can make us learn even more than wins ever could. In any fighting game, people get angry and they quit because things are not going the way they want it to go. If you think of how a child acts when reading that sentence, you're right. If you think of your own actions, well the good news is you can learn to control that anger and that reaction to close your game or leave the match. And the big reason why people rage quit is because they can't take a loss, and they don't have the tools to deal with the loss and the hit to their ego, so to them quitting is better than actually trying to fight back and at least do the best they can. Isn't that what life is about tho, doing the best we can? What do we gain from giving up? Nothing.

Y'all, I know I'm being way to poetic, but hear me out. I am seeing way too many people quit, especially in casual when that's where you're supposed to practice. Quitting is not going to help you, but here are a few things you can do instead of quitting that will:

• DON'T QUIT. That's just an easy way to ease your ego and tell yourself the other player is just too good and you can't beat them, which is BS, everyone can be beaten.
  • Learn to look at a loss as a moment of learning, examine what you did wrong, what you could have done instead and how to apply that to your training. Re-watch match footage of your loses AND your wins and figure out what you need to work on.
  • Getting angry impairs our ability to think logically. End round and re-matches are there for a purpose, so use it to take a breath and think of a quick way to change your gameplan. If what you've been doing for 2-3 games isn't working, change up your strategy!
  • Some days will be better than others, you can't expect to perform 100% every day, or to not drop any combos, EVER. If you feel you're getting too tired, your hands hurt or they don't seem to be cooperating with you, then taking a break and doing something else is your best option.
  • This is going to be obvious, but you need to know your character's quickest and most damaging punishing options. MK11 relies heavily on punishes and whiffs, so learn to control space with the tools available to you. For example, D4 usually stagger and pushes the opponent away from you, don't let anyone D2 you to death.
  • If you don't put in the work you'll never get the reward of doing it, which is that feeling of pride and accomplishment when you beat a good opponent. That is the incentive everyone needs to get the motivation to improve. It's not because it's hard that it's impossible, don't fall to braindead tactics and if put in the work, you'll get the reward.
These are not quick fixes by any means, it'll take a while to start thinking this way, but every step forward is better than a step backward and if you work on this every time you play, before you know it you're not going to get angry anymore. Hope this helps someone, I know it took me a while to grasp this, but I think the most important thing is to be able to change your gameplan because if you keep doing the same thing over and over, the opponent that's been beating you for the past 5 games is expecting everything you're going to throw at them. And sometimes a loss is good for us, we need to be taken down a notch and be humbled. If we're not, then every loss will feel worse.

I once climbed a mountain to find a Great old man, he looked wise and tired so I said
"good say sir, How may I help you?"
"Sit down" he said "I assume you came for the ULTIMATE ultimate knowledge?"
"Yessir" I say
the old man breaths slowly and says.....
"Everyoby PooPs"
as he flows away in dust

Thanks to @Ck AeroVoid for this well thought out story, I hope it helped someone.

How to Become a Better Player By Juggs: https://testyourmight.com/threads/tips-on-becoming-a-better-player-part-1-how-losing-helps-you-get-better.3674/

He goes in depth about a lot of the stuff I mentioned above if you're interested in learning more.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

People who quit when getting bodied don't want to learn, improve, etc to begin with. They just want wins for little to no effort because winning means too much to them when literally nothing is on the line.

However, this is solid advice for those who do want to learn and get better.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Laziness is gonna get you nowhere ;)

There is no knowledge that is not power.
A friend of mine likes to pick her toes in public. You now have the power of... Knowing that?... Grats. XD

That was a well written post though and while it shouldn't need it's own thread lol... I dunno. You would think like, okay. If you care enough about a competitive fighting game to seek out a forum to try and learn how to play better, you would be more competitively minded. But people are right there are a lot of super casual players on this forum (And that's OK) and maybe this will enlighten some of them on why we never give up. I will death match someone until they get tired of beating my ass if that's what's going down. Win/Loss means nothing to me I'm in it for progress.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
So this is true to a point.

If you’re losing to someone by a large margin and can’t seem to counteract their play style at all after quite a few games, then continuing to play is not helpful. You’re not learning anything new and it’s a waste of your time.

You’d be better spent trying out things in training mode to find ways around the thing that’s beating you, or learning a different character/variation which may have a better matchup, or trying to improve your fundamentals by watching guides/other people playing.

Losing can be helpful, but if you’re getting continuously slaughtered, you shouldn’t continue to play a set. It’s not productive, and it can just make things frustrating.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
A friend of mine likes to pick her toes in public. You now have the power of... Knowing that?... Grats. XD

That was a well written post though and while it shouldn't need it's own thread lol... I dunno. You would think like, okay. If you care enough about a competitive fighting game to seek out a forum to try and learn how to play better, you would be more competitively minded. But people are right there are a lot of super casual players on this forum (And that's OK) and maybe this will enlighten some of them on why we never give up. I will death match someone until they get tired of beating my ass if that's what's going down. Win/Loss means nothing to me I'm in it for progress.
Why would you say something like that when I'm EATING? Also knowing that about your friend IS power, because now you know to never go out in public with her. You're welcome.

That's a good point, but sometimes competition drives people to anger and if you can't control that anger, to begin with, you're never going to learn. If you tame anger, then you can learn quicker and faster and better.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Got online with Cage.

Guessed wrong and lost on the first 50 sub zero matches.
Guessed wrong and lost on the later 30 sonya matches.

Watched the replays, analyzed them, saw that I guessed wrong.

Went back online, guessed wrong on the next 100 matches.

Umm.. what do I do now?
Practice ONLY BLOCKING against HARD A.I in Practice mode

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Got online with Cage.

Guessed wrong and lost on the first 50 sub zero matches.
Guessed wrong and lost on the later 30 sonya matches.

Watched the replays, analyzed them, saw that I guessed wrong.

Went back online, guessed wrong on the next 100 matches.

Umm.. what do I do now?
Against Sonya?

Improve your neutral and poke under gee mixup string. Also, take the low. It’s minimal damage (unless in the corner but improve your neutral so you’re not in the corner) and if you’re consistently punishing the overhead they’ll be hesitant to even use it.

I can guarantee that your losses were more than just guessing a 50/50 wrong.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up

If you’re losing to someone by a large margin and can’t seem to counteract their play style at all after quite a few games, then continuing to play is not helpful. You’re not learning anything new and it’s a waste of your time.

You’d be better spent trying out things in training mode to find ways around the thing that’s beating you, or learning a different character/variation which may have a better matchup, or trying to improve your fundamentals by watching guides/other people playing.

Losing can be helpful, but if you’re getting continuously slaughtered, you shouldn’t continue to play a set. It’s not productive, and it can just make things frustrating.
There is always something to be learned. It's whether people have the mindset to apply themselves to find it. I've never been in a mismatch like that where I haven't learned something. I let the first couple frustrate me (Feeling like you're helpless and unable to play the game will do that) but then I will start changing approaches and trying to bend the plate so to speak. Granted I'm probably still going to lose, but what mix-ups produce significant results on his healthbar? What catches him and forces him to adapt. I learn best when I'm getting bodied over, and over, and over because the repetition reminds me I need to change tactics and not just auto pilot (Which I'm guilty of sometimes).

Vslayer

Lead Moderator

Yeah, that's true, most of this was aimed at people who quit in the first game/round. I do think that sometimes we continuously lose because we aren't changing up our strategy enough especially for longer sets. Sometimes people are way above your skill level, but it's good to also try and find a way, as you said, to beat them while labbing stuff in training mode.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
Playing someone who stomps me is how I learn best normally because I love to analyze my own replays for mistakes. I do normally limit these things to about 25 losses in a row, though. Everyone has a limit where the fun ends. Grinding IGAU Harley vs Sinestro? The most painful thing ever and that is an experience I don’t want to repeat.