What's new

Why time controlling Kronika will never make sense and is a bad idea

mattteo

Noob
As someone who has played MK since the first one in the arcades as a tike so pretty much forever I will say MK is easily light years above everyone else in the genre regarding storytelling, development and lore. ................ it's a fact that their story, lore are a billion times better than anything else in the genre.
Yes, but all that lore had been crafted in MK3 (after MK1 and 2 had just set the ground with some bios), MK4&Mythologies, MKDA, MK Deception and MK Armageddon.

MK9 was just a retelling and MKX didn't bring anything good to the table.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yes, but all that lore had been crafted in MK3 (after MK1 and 2 had just set the ground with some bios), MK4&Mythologies, MKDA, MK Deception and MK Armageddon.

MK9 was just a retelling and MKX didn't bring anything good to the table.
Yeah but that's a lot years of lore(for a game especially) You're talking 20+ years worth, their timing for the reboot not just story wise but to reignite the franchise back to it's roots was a brilliant idea with WB backing them now(unlike what Midway was trying to do sadly before they died) it made sense. MK 9 was a retelling but also changed things and elaborated a lot deeper into things that weren't dived into before with the first timeline or namely MK 1, 2 and 3. Like for example, the thing with how Johnny Cage was killed exactly or would have been or how Kabal got burned(originally it was just Outworld's forces scarred him/burned him) but we didn't know exactly how or what happened til MK 9. MK X I agree wasn't as solid as MK 9's story, but it wasn't all horrible either. My biggest issue was they emphasized too much on the kombat kids and having Cassie beat Shinnok while they do explain it seemed forced as to why Raiden didn't(when he has a few times prior already) it was just an excuse to have the light shine on her, though Raiden certainly did the rest by cleansing the Earth on his own and pretty much neutralizing Shinnok since he can't really die decapitation and dismemberment works lol

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
As someone who has played MK since the first one in the arcades as a tike so pretty much forever I will say MK is easily light years above everyone else in the genre regarding storytelling, development and lore. At the end of the day, nothing is perfect and we all have our preferences however regarding MK for a video game and more importantly a fighting game, it's a fact that their story, lore are a billion times better than anything else in the genre. In fact I challenge anyone to try to post a fighting game with a better story, more developed characters. You won't be able to because it doesn't exist. Nuff said. BTW I mean for originally from a fighting game not something that already exists(ie Injustice from DC or DBZ as they're not from fighting games originally)

I mean hell, also just look at movies, shows, series etc with fighting games. MK's is literally the only solid one. The rest sucked, with the exception of MKA which we don't talk about lol the first MK movie, Rebirth, Legacy etc were solid. But Tekken movie? Sucked. DOA? Sucked. Both SF movies? Sucked. VF, KI, Skullgirls, KOF, Clayfighter etc? Don't even have anything lol. Why? Because they have little to no story or it just sucks and isn't worth the attention of any director or studio.

Meanwhile, MK has had success with the first film, Rebirth, MKC(for the time period and limited budget it wasn't that bad at all) It was also on twice on Saturdays once after Wrestling then on regular TV on CBS at 2 am-3am due to how violent it was. MKL for two seasons and now a newer reboot MK movie in the works(sure it's taking time but I'm sure WB and Ed won't approve it til it's perfect or accurate)

@Onilordasmodeus thoughts? Just curious:cool:
There are more family values in the MKX storyline than in most TV shows these days.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I respect people, who are passionate about something and spend time to think and write about it. That's why I'll give you some of my time and my full attention:

you basically pull a universe with entire planets and solar systems and billions of people out of your ass every time you travel back in time because that creates a new timeline.
Yes, which is the concept of a multiverse. And I'm talking just one multiverse here. There are many. And all of the multiverses combined result in the omniverse. So creating another universe with time travel isn't even that big of a deal.
And besides that, the MK universe is more or less already part of a multiverse. During Raidens and Sub-Zeros intro dialogue they reference the Injustice universe, since they've both been there. During Raidens super move he takes his opponent into the Netherrealm. And in Injustice 1 we actually already saw two different universes, which further establishes a multiverse. And then there was even MK VS DC, where the characters came together from differnt universes.

Supposedly these characters have magic powers and why couldn't they actually create a new universe?
I know that MKF30 will get upset about my statement now, but MK characters really aren't that powerful, if we're honest. Someone like Raiden, who is held in high regard in the MK universe... would get one-shot-killed by someone like Thor from the Marvel universe. Thor is a much more powerful character, but when we talk about actual power he is still very, very, very, very, very low on the tier list.

So the question really is how powerful the Elder Gods even are. I have absolutely zero reason to believe that even an Elder God would be able to cause any harm to someone like Thor, who - again - really isn't that powerful, when you talk about universal power.

It will have one or more of the following flaws:

1. If Kronika is pissed that Shinnok lost, why didn't she turn back the time after MK4? It was exactly the same situation as today.
Because from what I can tell MK4 never happened until now. MK9 was a remake of the franchise and retold the story of the first few games. Then MKX followed and continued to tell the story. And now MK11 will finally take us in a new direction.

2. If Kronika brings fighters from the past, does that mean that there will be a period in everyone's past when they missed several days because they were teleported to the future? Or will they be brought back to the exact moment in which they were taken? If so, why will they not remember anything?
A character, who can manipulate time might be able to also manipulate ones memories after a certain point. So if she wants to send Liu Kang back and not have him remember anything from the point he had been taken, I don't see why she shouldn't be able to do that. But even if she can't do it, it's usually an universal law to not talk about your future, since that could have devastating consequences. So Liu Kang for example should not want to ask any questions on his own. In his mind he would probably just wonder why:
1. he is the ruler of the Netherrealm now,
2. he is dead,
3. and if banging Kitana, who is also dead, makes him a necrophiliac.

3. If Kronika takes them from an alternate timeline, not this one, does this mean that there are infinite timelines? Cause surely in the original timeline many lay dead after the Armageddon battle. And if there are infinite timelines, why does Kronika actually care about THIS timeline and why is it so important that in this timeline she reverses things?
Don't confuse timelines with universes. The Superman in Injustice 1+2 and also the Justice League cartoon there is a universe with a Superman, who could potentially turn into a psychopath with a twisted sense for justice. At the same time there is another universe with a completely uncorruptable Superman, who would never turn evil.

From what we can tell when it comes to MK 11 it seems that we're not talking about two different universes, where one Liu Kang could become corrupt and another one wouldn't - but we're talking about one timeline, where the same Liu Kang from the past ends up becoming corrupt. And that's something he is not all too happy with.
The interesting thing is, that it's not even his fate or destiny, since Kronika tells him that he has chosen the wrong destiny. That tells me that her power has clear limits, since he has no control over the decisions of other characters. She can only manipulate the timeline and try to push the characters in another direction, which suits her needs better. And that as well establishes Kronika as a below universal being, who is completely limited to her own universe / timeline.

4. If there are timelines from which Kronika brings the fighters from, why not bring infinite versions of fighters?
Why would she do that? What's the point of bringing 30 Liu Kangs from 30 different past days to the current timeline, when all she needs is just one Liu Kang, who at one point in his life has to make a decision, with which she is happy with? The same applies for all the other characters, who are part of her plan.

5. If she just rewinds time, then why doesn't she rewind time even further, to a point where she can actually kill Liu Kang or Kung Lao or whoever defies her as a baby?
All of that totally depends on her motives. Shinnok for example had visibly different goals than the rest of the Elder Gods. Maybe Kronika also has certain views, which differ from the rest of the Elder Gods. What if Kronika is afraid of Liu Kangs and Raidens actions causing the return of the One Being, who would again enslave the Elder Gods and start eating their life essence again?
But if she kills Liu Kang / Raiden in the past, who would stop Shao Khan then, who would conquer all of the Earthrealms - while as the lore tells us being manipulated and led by the One Being, who wants to get resurrected.

6. If these characters from the present go to the past and meet their past selves, does that mean that they have always been in the past? Then, if so, why don't they remember themselves from their own past?
I don't think that the current timeline characters will go to the past. I think that only the past characters will enter the present. But we'll have to wait and see.
However, sometimes in fiction timelines tend to readjust ones memories over time. Like for example in DC comics event "Flashpoint" Flash had travelled to the past and created another universe, in which his mother never got killed. But that had changed a lot of things to the worse, yet his brain and memories started readjusting to the new timeline. He started forgetting that he was the Flash and that only he could undo what he had done.

Well, alternate dimensions in Marvel and DC haven't aged well, they were a poor idea and the infinite part of them has already been retconned (DC has settled as far as I know on 52 universes, God knows why that number).
Eh. In my opinion some of the best stories have to do something with different timelines. Flashpoint being one example. Days of Future Past as well. Marvel has a whole line called the "What IFs", where the question is asked, what would have happened if..? The entire Marvel Ultimate Universe started off as an alternate dimension Spider-Man comic. Then there was also Old Man Logan, which is 'til this day probably one of the best Marvel comics period. Superman: Red Son? Dayum, son!

52 universes, because during DCs relaunch in 2011 they published 52 different comics. That was then woven into stories as well.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
1. If Kronika is pissed that Shinnok lost, why didn't she turn back the time after MK4? It was exactly the same situation as today.
A: it really wasn't, like it categorically wasn't. To the point where there's almost no similarities between the two situations.

B: multiverse. Infinite timelines mean infinite versions of characters means infinite things have happened.

2. If Kronika brings fighters from the past, does that mean that there will be a period in everyone's past when they missed several days because they were teleported to the future? Or will they be brought back to the exact moment in which they were taken? If so, why will they not remember anything?
Possibly but the past she's reaching into is the past of another timeline. So who cares. Infinite timelines etc.

3. If Kronika takes them from an alternate timeline, not this one, does this mean that there are infinite timelines? Cause surely in the original timeline many lay dead after the Armageddon battle. And if there are infinite timelines, why does Kronika actually care about THIS timeline and why is it so important that in this timeline she reverses things?
Yes, yes and because this is this timeline's version of Kronika so this timeline is her primary concern. Infinite timelines means infinite Kronikas.

4. If there are timelines from which Kronika brings the fighters from, why not bring infinite versions of fighters?
Why not just bring infinite Liu Kangs? Cos it's a story.

5. If she just rewinds time, then why doesn't she rewind time even further, to a point where she can actually kill Liu Kang or Kung Lao or whoever defies her as a baby?
Why doesn't Skynet just kill Sarah Connor's father or mother?

6. If these characters from the present go to the past and meet their past selves, does that mean that they have always been in the past? Then, if so, why don't they remember themselves from their own past?
Because infinite timelines means that by going back, Kronika either creates a new timeline or uses a different one. Thus, they don't remember because in the timeline of their history, it never happened.

I appreciate the compliment though, thanks. I'm a lot prettier than the other two you mentioned tho

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
If I sound full of hate it's just because there are so many wrong things
Start fixing the wrong things by fixing these things within yourself.

Want a deep and meaningful story? Don't play MK, but watch a decent movie or read a book by Goethe or Tolstoy.

Want to criticize MK11's story? At the very least - wait for it.

Want explanations for your Shinnok question? Ask for it, don't make assumptions that this question cannot be answered by anybody or that whatever the answers is it leads to contradiction. I can explain why Kronika was not pissed after the events in MK4, but I wont, because you're pissing me off. You're not truly seeking answers, you're giving them and they are wrong.

Also, the answer to that question is in Jades MK9 ending and Kitana's MKX ending. But you know the lore so well... lol

MKF30

I respect people, who are passionate about something and spend time to think and write about it. That's why I'll give you some of my time and my full attention:

Yes, which is the concept of a multiverse. And I'm talking just one multiverse here. There are many. And all of the multiverses combined result in the omniverse. So creating another universe with time travel isn't even that big of a deal.
And besides that, the MK universe is more or less already part of a multiverse. During Raidens and Sub-Zeros intro dialogue they reference the Injustice universe, since they've both been there. During Raidens super move he takes his opponent into the Netherrealm. And in Injustice 1 we actually already saw two different universes, which further establishes a multiverse. And then there was even MK VS DC, where the characters came together from differnt universes.

I know that MKF30 will get upset about my statement now, but MK characters really aren't that powerful, if we're honest. Someone like Raiden, who is held in high regard in the MK universe... would get one-shot-killed by someone like Thor from the Marvel universe. Thor is a much more powerful character, but when we talk about actual power he is still very, very, very, very, very low on the tier list.

So the question really is how powerful the Elder Gods even are. I have absolutely zero reason to believe that even an Elder God would be able to cause any harm to someone like Thor, who - again - really isn't that powerful, when you talk about universal power.

Because from what I can tell MK4 never happened until now. MK9 was a remake of the franchise and retold the story of the first few games. Then MKX followed and continued to tell the story. And now MK11 will finally take us in a new direction.

A character, who can manipulate time might be able to also manipulate ones memories after a certain point. So if she wants to send Liu Kang back and not have him remember anything from the point he had been taken, I don't see why she shouldn't be able to do that. But even if she can't do it, it's usually an universal law to not talk about your future, since that could have devastating consequences. So Liu Kang for example should not want to ask any questions on his own. In his mind he would probably just wonder why:
1. he is the ruler of the Netherrealm now,
2. he is dead,
3. and if banging Kitana, who is also dead, makes him a necrophiliac.

Don't confuse timelines with universes. The Superman in Injustice 1+2 and also the Justice League cartoon there is a universe with a Superman, who could potentially turn into a psychopath with a twisted sense for justice. At the same time there is another universe with a completely uncorruptable Superman, who would never turn evil.

From what we can tell when it comes to MK 11 it seems that we're not talking about two different universes, where one Liu Kang could become corrupt and another one wouldn't - but we're talking about one timeline, where the same Liu Kang from the past ends up becoming corrupt. And that's something he is not all too happy with.
The interesting thing is, that it's not even his fate or destiny, since Kronika tells him that he has chosen the wrong destiny. That tells me that her power has clear limits, since he has no control over the decisions of other characters. She can only manipulate the timeline and try to push the characters in another direction, which suits her needs better. And that as well establishes Kronika as a below universal being, who is completely limited to her own universe / timeline.

Why would she do that? What's the point of bringing 30 Liu Kangs from 30 different past days to the current timeline, when all she needs is just one Liu Kang, who at one point in his life has to make a decision, with which she is happy with? The same applies for all the other characters, who are part of her plan.

All of that totally depends on her motives. Shinnok for example had visibly different goals than the rest of the Elder Gods. Maybe Kronika also has certain views, which differ from the rest of the Elder Gods. What if Kronika is afraid of Liu Kangs and Raidens actions causing the return of the One Being, who would again enslave the Elder Gods and start eating their life essence again?
But if she kills Liu Kang / Raiden in the past, who would stop Shao Khan then, who would conquer all of the Earthrealms - while as the lore tells us being manipulated and led by the One Being, who wants to get resurrected.

I don't think that the current timeline characters will go to the past. I think that only the past characters will enter the present. But we'll have to wait and see.
However, sometimes in fiction timelines tend to readjust ones memories over time. Like for example in DC comics event "Flashpoint" Flash had travelled to the past and created another universe, in which his mother never got killed. But that had changed a lot of things to the worse, yet his brain and memories started readjusting to the new timeline. He started forgetting that he was the Flash and that only he could undo what he had done.

Eh. In my opinion some of the best stories have to do something with different timelines. Flashpoint being one example. Days of Future Past as well. Marvel has a whole line called the "What IFs", where the question is asked, what would have happened if..? The entire Marvel Ultimate Universe started off as an alternate dimension Spider-Man comic. Then there was also Old Man Logan, which is 'til this day probably one of the best Marvel comics period. Superman: Red Son? Dayum, son!

52 universes, because during DCs relaunch in 2011 they published 52 different comics. That was then woven into stories as well.
I'm not upset but I will disagree, on that one point as there's nothing Thor can do the EG however the EG can do lots of things to Thor. That is all I will say. The EG are nigh omnipotent, ethereal deities that have existed since time began. They've already defeated beings way more powerful than Thor in the One Being. Thor's power comes from his father's magic Mjornir and can't even fly without his little hammer. I would even argue Raiden at his best can take Thor, when he's not jobbing all over the place.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'm not sure the topic in of itself is the issue anymore lol. I'm starting to notice a trend here.

Maybe he'd be better off actually phrasing these things as discussions instead of coming off like he's complaining.

For the record, I would actually enjoy this kind of discussion. If it meant to be that way, then I simply suggest working on the words used to present the subject, because as it stands most people clearly aren't getting that vibe.
Or perhaps it's herd mentality? TYM is notorious for that.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Nice personal attack
It wasn't an attack, I was genuinely wondering.

I have been playing Mortal Kombat for longer than you, be sure of that. I loved this game, but as I got older, my expectations also grew. I am not so mesmerized about seeing bad dialogue or bad writing like when I was 10.
I played the first Mortal Kombat on the SNES when I was about 8, and followed the franchise ever since. Didn't know this was a competition though.

I loved the Mortal Kombat games for what they were in those times, but times change. I loved the way it slowly changed the story from an ice-throwing assassin to a Master, to a brother corrupted by hellish forces, to an Outworld descendant of the cryomancer race.....

I love how the went from fire specter to anti-hero and then to champion of the Elder Gods and tragic reward....

I loved how they went from Thunder God who won the first tournament and invited all his fellow gods to fight in the tournament until the planet was destroyed to Protector God and mentor and Elder God and back to Protector again.....

I loved how they went from sorceror to alliance of sorcerors, from rivalries to mummified undefeated army of the Dragon King, from the Netherrealm to Outworld and to scheming...

I love how they went from generic Chinese to Champion of Mortal Kombat, death for a hero, resurection and zombie Liu Kang who didn't let Shang Tsung get the ultimate prize on the pyramid....

The writers were excellent even after John Tobias left. They introduced character you feared when you saw like Reiko or Drahmin or Onaga and cryomancers and Protector Gods of Edenia and ancient prophecies. This comic I will never forget:
See, this is what I wanted to hear. Some positivity coming from you. The love for Mortal Kombat. Thank you!

But yeah, you;re right that I'm not really a fan anymore. Mortal Kombat has almost died for me in the last years. MKX was not entertaining at all and saved by some flashes here and there, like the Outwold charcaters and the Marketplace, which was a cool stage, the Rain in-story charcater who looked amazing and the MKX comic which was masterfully written. These days, I'm mostly relaxing with Luiz Mictian's comics, which are much better than the game's story.

I;m hoping that something will change, that MK11 will bring back that wonderful Mortal Kombat writing and story, but if it doesn;t....you won't have to worry about me anymore, I'll leave you to your favourite new characters and game that you consider great.
It's alright to only like some of the aspects of the franchise, or even just some of the games. So you liked the Midway MK games, but not really feeling the NRS MK games... THAT'S OKAY! That you don't like what the franchise has turned into, THAT'S OKAY TOO!

What worries me though is that you seem very focused on the things you DON'T like. It's like you're searching for things to complain about - things we don't actually know what is like yet, because the new game hasn't come out! We don't know the story, we don't know how it will play out, we don't know how the game feels. Yet you have already made up your mind about it. You have already decided that everything sucks and that you don't like it, even though you don't know any more than the rest of us.

Being passionate about something can be good, but when facing change it is best to take a deep breath, take a step back and let that passion settle down a bit. To try and look at these changes, these new things, with a clearer view not affected by your personal bias.

We all have personal bias, there's no way to get around that. Some things we enjoy, some things we don't. That's just the way it is, and again, that's completely alright! However, if we hold on to it too tightly and can't meet something new with an open mind, but instead immediately decide it's bad and starts yelling into the void how much it sucks... it just brings a lot of toxicity with it. And that's not benefiting anyone. Not you, not the community, not NRS... no one.

If it ultimately ends up being something you don't like... maybe it's just time to let go of it. There's no reason to keep something in your life that you don't like or care for. That will just harbour a lot of bitterness and, again, toxicity. Instead you can look back at the things you did enjoy about the franchise and cherish those memories, but move on to other things you like and feel joy about.

If you however decide to stay, I hope you find something you like about it. And the things you don't like, try and be constructive about your criticism. Being critical and question the things presented to you is a good thing, but only if you're being constructive about it. If you immediately decide that it is bad and you don't like it before even really knowing what it is, then what's even the point of being here?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Who really cares about the story though...

Ask me to explain the events of MK9 or MKX, I have no idea. Who plays single player more than once? The story is just an excuse for 1 on 1 fights.
I enjoy it in the moment, dont think about it too much, then the info in my brain gets replaced by combos, strats and frame data lol

Icefyre

Shadows
Or perhaps it's herd mentality? TYM is notorious for that.
I don't disagree. However, I can't get on here as much as everyone else seems to as this is the first thread I've seen this kind of thing in (so far, I'm guessing), and I got the same vibe simply from reading the post first. I'd rather this be an interesting discussion myself, as some have taken up.

Also:

It's just that there's a lot to criticize that needs to be said (sadly), like in this thread or in the thread I made about the #D era characters. If I sound full of hate it's just because there are so many wrong things
That kind of backs up the original post.

mattteo

Noob
Getting all these answers about why I am criticizing what we know until know makes me want to show a project I did a few years back, a MK 11 story based from where the characters are after MKX.

But if you would watch just please watch it until the end and really see the development of Reptile, Liu Kang and every character. And tell me if that wouldn't have been a good story. And I am but one man, while they, at NRS, are an army. And they came up with Cassie beating Shinnok and Baraka and Reptile loosing God knows how many fights and Quan Chi being a little pussy- that was their development in MKX.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
As incredible and deep the lore of Mortal Kombat is. It's a damn video game. Shit's gonna not make sense, but to go and make a thread complaining about shit we know nothing about in terms of story. MK's lore has changed and fluctuated SO many times throughout every single game. They retcon things and change things up all the time.

All we know is that Kronika is playing with the timeline and making characters meet their younger selves. Have we stopped to think that maybe she's fucking with it because she simply wants to? Maybe she does have the power to go back and kill whoever she wants to, but she just doesn't.

The way Ed Boon spoke about it in an interview, made it seem as if she could simply be toying with the characters. I'm not going to make any assumptions about the story until I sit down, play through it myself, and ENJOY IT as I have every other MK story.

Also, just because you're bitching about the lore, why are you putting other people's names in your post just because you assume they're gonna have the same problem?

Don't complain about the story when we've seen less than 6 minutes of it, 5 minutes of that being the prologue. :rolleyes:

Time travel is probably one of the hardest topic to write on, because it is at the same very very complex and also very vague. Many have tried, and a lot have given up because it's way too complex.

I love all kind of films, books etc. that talk about time travel but none of them are flawless, even far from here.

You took Back to the Future as a bad exemple of time travel story, while I agree, I think that the rules established by a work of art (book, movie etc.) for something like time travel wins over the scientific rules of the real life (in the case of time travel there are...none ? We can have hypotesis, but not actual rules). Back to the Future seems to still please people because it takes a "casual approach" of the complexity of time travel and use it for comedy purpose. I always had the feeling that even the film itself knows that his rules are simplified and the spectator accepts it. I love Back to the Future, I know that the story is flawed but there is at least a care in the details in each of the visited eras. For an exemple, at the end of the first one, when Marty manages to get his parents together again, and since his father punched his bully to save his girlfriend, he became a succesful and confident writer (while he didn't want to share his stories at the beginning) over the looser he was before. And the whole family became rich and succesful thanks to that BUT there is no way the exact same children were born at the same moment. Anyways the point I'm trying to make is that a time travel story should set its own rules towards it

I always tend to be compliant towards the writing of a story involving time travel, because I know how difficult it is to keep something that makes sense while the most important tool of a story is an "invention" with so many consequences and variables. The writing should then have a compliance towards it UNLESS the story breaks its own established rules (this is important).

So, regarding MK11's story, I think it was necessary because the game needs a story built around the decided roster, so we need a reason for them to bring them back. Yes there is the resurrection that was established as possible in MK's lore, but since sometimes you have to bring back characters that have no valid reasons to be resurrected, they decided to open a multiverse. For exemple, almost nobody has a reason to bring back Mileena back to life, maybe Baraka but the Tarkatans don't have access to the power of resurrection. Opening the lore to the multiverse (which was already the case with Raiden sending a message to himself back in time, creating another timeline) will allow the writers to bring back whoever they want to justify a plot with the roster of characters chosen by the dev team before the story was written.

Is a multiverse in MK a good idea ? I don't know, it has its pros and cons, but the thing the bothers me the most wiith this is that I won't take as seriously a story that involves a multiverse that I would with another story with one timeline. Why ? Because the stakes are completly thrown out the window. Because when someone dies in real life, it's over, period. When the stories are created, there is a kind of universal rule where people assume that the rules from the real life are the same in the story, unless the story says otherwise of course.

I was disappointed when Mileena died in MK11, I love this character but, no, the story said "fuck you and deal with it" and I was frustrated because of this, and that's why the story was so good. I knew that it was possible of her being resurrected but it would make no sense in the story that someone would bring her back to life, she had almost no allies left. But now... I know now that there are as many Mileenas as I can imagine. A death was already not that bad in MK, now it's completely worthless.

TL;DR : Too complex to make a TL DR :DOGE
No I'm kidding : Time travel is a very hard topic to write on. Multiverse is here to make a story with the already existing roster, but the stakes of the story are less important.

Sorry if it's confusing, it is not an easy topic to talk about, but it's even harder when english isn't your native language :D

MKF30

I think overall Terminator, BTTF, MK, Flash do time travel correctly as their rules apply to their own universe's rules. While Donnie Darko, 12 monkeys and LOST are bad examples or not as good at explaining anyway compared to the former.

It is tricky but also a lot of it is theory.

mattteo

Noob
While 12 monkeys and LOST are bad examples or not as good at explaining anyway compared to the former.

It is tricky but also a lot of it is theory.

Jesus Christ.........those are like the only logical stories. Everything they did do in the past had always happened and it created the future, they just didn't know it. There are multiple revelations where this was proven. That is the only possibility of travelling back in time that doesn't defy logical physics rules of being able to kill you grandfather.

If you say those universes have good time traveling because their rules apply to their own universe's rules it just means that those universes are dumb. You can't create some dumb s*it and then just say "hey, look, it applies to the rules I've built in my universe". Well, you know what, in no universe does the coffee fall from downside upwards when you pour it into the cup or where people are not attracted to gravity of the Earth but instead rejected by it, so there's no good answer to creating dumb rules for time travel.

The cynical nature of the initial thread unfortunately puts a bad taste in the reader's mouth. You should separate yourself from your emotional despair If you want to be critical about a story you haven't read, played or seen. Predictions are always welcome but when you tie your own personal dread, you're inherently forcing us to take part in your negative environment. It's not fair to any community or group of people.

This could of been a constructive thread but it wont be because it feels like an attack more than anything. This is an insidious response that you should reflect on, it might be affecting you in your personal life as well.

Human nature's embracing of narcissism really shines when a new MK game comes out.

“To this day, we humans remain highly susceptible to the moods and emotions of those around us, compelling all kinds of behavior on our part—unconsciously imitating others, wanting what they have, getting swept up in viral feelings of anger or outrage."

― Robert Greene, The Laws of Human Nature

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Don’t have a huge problem with the time travel piece as much as with the idea that Kronika has been controlling all events since MK1. It suggests that no one else has free will.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Not gonna lie, I didn't read the wall of text...BUT... I've been back on here for only a day and I swear I've seen this guy make at least 3 complaint threads.
Whats up with that?

MKF30

Don’t have a huge problem with the time travel piece as much as with the idea that Kronika has been controlling all events since MK1. It suggests that no one else has free will.
I wouldn't say full out controlling but trying to control how she sees fit without anyone else interrupting her precious plan/agenda. Otherwise, she wouldn't have gotten pissy at Raiden screwing with time. They do have free will, but she's trying to orchestrate time as she sees fit from a far.

Jesus Christ.........those are like the only logical stories. Everything they did do in the past had always happened and it created the future, they just didn't know it. There are multiple revelations where this was proven. That is the only possibility of travelling back in time that doesn't defy logical physics rules of being able to kill you grandfather.

If you say those universes have good time traveling because their rules apply to their own universe's rules it just means that those universes are dumb. You can't create some dumb s*it and then just say "hey, look, it applies to the rules I've built in my universe". Well, you know what, in no universe does the coffee fall from downside upwards when you pour it into the cup or where people are not attracted to gravity of the Earth but instead rejected by it, so there's no good answer to creating dumb rules for time travel.
What are you referring to? Because the ones I listed that didn't explain it were anything but logical compared to the ones I did list that were logical. Donnie Darko never explained shit, it was random and beyond a WTF moment. They didn't explain, when, how or why at all...I don't know one person who felt DD explained their time travel well if at all.

12 monkeys the show was too convoluted and had way too much going on, that and they didn't even tell you which period they'd travel to half the time. Could have been done better. The movie however was awesome, show was meh. I mean why do you think it got canned after what 2, 3 seasons?

And LOST was just that LOST, even the ending confused even more LOST fans and had people discussing "did everyone die or was it a dream or an alternate reality?" I admit this show started off good but slowly declined into "WTF random plot holes" territory.

When you have to discuss things and ask questions like that, that's a true sign of doing a bad job at explaining something. lol I know family and friends who watched LOST, every season and even they thought the ending was dumb.

This confuses me, to me That makes no sense, how are those universes dumb when it applies to the consistency of their own rules? It's not dumb, and you can't honestly tell me it wasn't explained because they explain it several times in several movies unlike the poor examples I posted. Your gravity analogy is a bad example because in most universes unless there was an issue with gravity coffee upside down would naturally spill out. What I'm saying is as long as the universe no matter which story it is Terminator, Flash, MK, BTTF whatever follows and stays consistent with their own rules in terms of continuity and explanation. It's fine. But when you just do random, stupid shit like Donnie Darko without any remote explanation or LOST when you're randomly in the future, randomly in the past, present and oh yeah alternate universe without anything to go by it becomes pointless and making shit up as you go along.

Last edited: