What's new

why so much fan emphasis on females?

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Considering I only play as female characters, I'm kind of distressed at my lack of options thus far. So far the only character I wanna play as is Catwoman. I'm still holding out hope for a Raven/Starfire girlfight trailer though, as well as maybe an additional announcement for someone like Black Canary.

Ivy would be my first choice for DLC as well, but I doubt that will happen.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I think its very true, that and I dont think any of the top 5ish requested females would feel the slight bit forced
hmm maybe we arent on the same page about being forced because i really do, i think characters who wouldnt have a place in this story(of fit the dark/serious tone of the game like myxlplyx or the wonder twins) or just arent good fighters would be "forced" into the game and the only character so far who could be considered forced is Harley but tbh she's always been acrobatic/athletic just not a good fighter and in the new 52 she fights ALL THE TIME and holds her own so you could say she fits in. i mean i get that this is a superhero/villain universe but some characters powers are not good for/used for hand to combat and therefore should not be in a hand to hand combat fighting game, in MY opinion Ivy and Zatanna (just to name 2 i see ALOT of requests for) both would feel forced in this game so id rather them not be playable even tho i like both characters id rather have Katana and Black Canary who wouldnt feel forced imo

MisterSpyker

The 6'4 King
Dunno, tbh, there are pratically no noteworthy females in the DCverse, besides everyone we already have, Raven, Zatanna and Circe, but they don't even compare to the awesomeness of the male characters like Steel, Mirror Master or Atrocitus

Courtney

Burn in my Light
hmm maybe we arent on the same page about being forced because i really do, i think characters who wouldnt have a place in this story(of fit the dark/serious tone of the game like myxlplyx or the wonder twins) or just arent good fighters would be "forced" into the game and the only character so far who could be considered forced is Harley but tbh she's always been acrobatic/athletic just not a good fighter and in the new 52 she fights ALL THE TIME and holds her own so you could say she fits in. i mean i get that this is a superhero/villain universe but some characters powers are not good for/used for hand to combat and therefore should not be in a hand to hand combat fighting game, in MY opinion Ivy and Zatanna (just to name 2 i see ALOT of requests for) both would feel forced in this game so id rather them not be playable even tho i like both characters id rather have Katana and Black Canary who wouldnt feel forced imo
I typed something hella long and a lot more in depth then what I'm about to say but the page refreshed ;_; so short story was-
I think there's enough females in the DC universe that they can find one that can be written into the story, we are in agreeance about Canary and Katana making more sense but since it is its own universe and not cannon(afiak) I'm ok with giving people like Zatanna and Ivy some punches and kicks even tho they don't normally do it, some other chiz, and how I respect your opinion and enjoying seeing other points of view

My reasonings for wanting to see more females is shallow, but I'm just being true to my feelings.

It's not even sexual, the reasonings I want them in the game.

Something inside me enjoys women keeping up with men when it comes to "combat" because they're always seen "as weak" and that's mainly because naturally they are weaker on average to men.

But that makes it all the more appealing when they can break that stereotype and hang with the big guys.

that's all it is for me. Dunno about everyone else.

Women with confidence/strength attract me to a game more than a man with confidence/strength because of how men are portrayed throughout my life. It's like "expected", where as women doing it is "non-expected" thus making me enjoy it more.

not to take away that I do enjoy some male lead stories/scenarios as well. I got pretty hype about Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

Courtney

Burn in my Light
Dunno, tbh, there are pratically no noteworthy females in the DCverse, besides everyone we already have, Raven, Zatanna and Circe, but they don't even compare to the awesomeness of the male characters like Steel, Mirror Master or Atrocitus
All three of those characters would be godlike(Raven is way more awesome tho, but its all opinions :p) and I'd be more than hyped if either of them was announced

Well Superman is being 'forced' since he is too good. They have to modify him downward to make him playable, otherwise he'd just crush everyone. So, modifying characters upwards is no big deal. I thought part of the rationale behind DC having such a 'mulitverse' was so that there could be creativity, 'what-ifs' and so on without worrying about the technical limitations too much.

And I would love to see a kicking Circe!

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I typed something hella long and a lot more in depth then what I'm about to say but the page refreshed ;_; so short story was-
I think there's enough females in the DC universe that they can find one that can be written into the story, we are in agreeance about Canary and Katana making more sense but since it is its own universe and not cannon(afiak) I'm ok with giving people like Zatanna and Ivy some punches and kicks even tho they don't normally do it, some other chiz, and how I respect your opinion and enjoying seeing other points of view
i respect yer opinon also, which is why im not just saying stuff like "its stupid to have this character and blah blah"
my only thing is why change certain characters to mkae then fit when there are other who fit in the game well just as they are?

Well Superman is being 'forced' since he is too good. They have to modify him downward to make him playable, otherwise he'd just crush everyone. So, modifying characters upwards is no big deal. I thought part of the rationale behind DC having such a 'mulitverse' was so that there could be creativity, 'what-ifs' and so on without worrying about the technical limitations too much.

And I would love to see a kicking Circe!
you are exactly right to an extent a few things have to be changed but the thing with Superman is a requirement its 100% necessary, but if every other character was changed then they wouldnt be staying true to the characters, i mean this isnt canon with the current comics but they still worked to make it as on par with the characters as they are represented in comics as possible so to make multiple characters do things out of their character just to put them in the game would devalue that and i think would make alot more fans mad and the story less believable, so far they only did it with 2 Superman and Joker, those are 100% necessary the rest wouldnt be

Amazon

Noob
THIS. And as someone said, in fighters I'm also usually drawn to the more agile characters. Chun-Li in Street Fighter for one. Talim in SoulCalibur. Heck, I was glad for the inclusion of X-23 in MvC3 because she was a bit quicker than Wolverine.
THIS AGAIN ^.

I need to concur my preferences are fast fluid fighters that are weaker,( usually females) and ranged sorcery types.

So in terms of MK9 Jade,Raiden and Shang Tsung and Sindel ( she is my main)

In injustice my main will be WW, followed by Joker,Aquaman,Harley and Ares ( when announced :p)

DCs females have so much to offer, they have unique abilities. Zatanna won my What Female Character? Poll. She has an INSANE fanbase. She would add something different to the game. You could fight about Raven being a better magic choice which is okay but why not have both? Why cant we have two magic characters? Black Canary is so suited for this game that i would be disappointed if she didnt make it. Shes a martial artist with a sonic scream. There were 6 females in MK9 (Jade, Kitana, Sonya, Sindel, Mileena & Sheeva) along with Skarlet as DLC. So i think its safe to assume that we'll get at LEAST 6 females here. They've repeatedly said "Look at MK9s roster, its similar to that". So i think it will be either 6 or 7 females. Hopefully its these:
Wonder Woman - Confirmed
Catwoman - Confirmed
Harley Quinn - Confirmed
Hawkgirl - New Confirmed

Raven - Hinted
Black Canary - Too Perfect for this game
Zatanna - INSANE fanbase, much wanted character

Circe - DLC
Poison Ivy - DLC
Power Girl - DLC

I put more hero females because they get requested a lot more than villains. So to make it a little bit more even I added in Circe and Poison Ivy as DLC along with Power Girl because she won Boons poll.

Black Canary? Name a DC Character with Insane martial arts skills and a super sonic scream
Zatanna? Name another DC Character that can do anything by reciting the word backwards
Catwoman? Name another DC Character that can slash through people with their sharp claws, whip them and throw bolas & caltrops

The list can go on

Reedoms

Noob
Black Canary? Name a DC Character with Insane martial arts skills and a super sonic scream
Zatanna? Name another DC Character that can do anything by reciting the word backwards
Catwoman? Name another DC Character that can slash through people with their sharp claws, whip them and throw bolas & caltrops
Black Bolt
Zatara/ANY magic user since the backwards stuff is just for concentration
B'wana Beast

Zatara isnt better than Zatanna. In some versions he isnt even alive! Does B'Wana Beast even have claws??? or a whip??? Black Bolt i havent heard of so i looked him up but im not a fan of Marvel so Black Canary FTW

Skullgirls is one fighting game where I feel like they did a good job of making the girls actual characters instead of just eye candy. I actually like Ms. Fortune for more then just showing off underboob, I really like that she's upbeat and happy despite her tragic past and is pun making badass who tries to look on the bright side while not taking shit from those who wrong her. Damn that's almost inspirational, good role model even. The scars on her body are also great contrast to the whole "beauty is flawless" stereotype we see too often in media.

Skullgirls is one fighting game where I feel like they did a good job of making the girls actual characters instead of just eye candy. I actually like Ms. Fortune for more then just showing off underboob, I really like that she's upbeat and happy despite her tragic past and is pun making badass who tries to look on the bright side while not taking shit from those who wrong her. Damn that's almost inspirational, good role model even. The scars on her body are also great contrast to the whole "beauty is flawless" stereotype we see too often in media.
I agree wholeheartedly. Plus she's ridiculously fun to play as.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
A fighting game with no women should be THE MOST MANLIEST MOST METAL GAME IN EXISTENCE like Weaponlord for example. It should be so tough, that even you feel like you're literally getting your ass kicked playing it and feel sore after a few hours of gameplay.