What's new

why so much fan emphasis on females?

Amazon

Noob
Because just like there are essential male characters in DC there are also essential females. If we can have both Harley and Joker why can't we have Batman and Huntress (if you don't want batgirl).

Some essential females that haven't been announced IMO are:
Huntress
Starfire
Star Sapphire
Black Canary
Circe
Ivy
You kinda took the words right out of my mouth.

These females are just as intruging and poweful in their own way as their male counterparts. im all for diversity as long as it fits witihn the context of the game, and we are not putting in random characters for the sake of randomness. if they are popular/cool characters... that fit the story and gameplay well, then by all means add them in.

Out of your list above, I would agreee with ALL of them, but if If I had to cut it down....

Huntress and Black Canary defintely, and I am a ltitle biased but Circe and Zatanna as well, magic users are currently under-represented.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
- Because seeing sexy girls fighting is always fine ..... pervert sexual fantasy, yeah :p
- Because most of FGs have a bunch of male characters, and females are put in second plane
- Because I'm fan of DOA5 and majority of roster there are from females characters :D
- Because my favourite MK9 characters are female : Mileena and Skarlet
- Because there is nothing wrong in watching tits and asses in a FG game ..... that's for the best !! (CSZ quote , lol !!)
- Because I wanna Starfire to make part of IGAU, even if she ends to be a fucking DLC character, hehe

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
What I mean is when you think of DC both male and female certain characters come to mind first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
Diversity for the sake of diversity does not equate to diversity for the sake of uniqueness. But it really all comes down to preference. There are more popular male DC characters than there are female, so that will cause more male characters in the game than female.

Maybe fighting games have traditionally had a small ratio of female to male playable characters. Of course, once upon a time the average gamer was 16 years old and 95% were male (or something like that, not sure on past statistics). Now about 40% of gamers are female. The average age of a gamer is mid-30s. With the average age of gamers going up, you have amongst the men more fathers and husbands, instead of just young dudes who might think it is 'lame to play a chick' or whatever. So, it wouldn't surprise me if you continue to see more and more requests for female characters in games.

Personally, I prefer fast characters to the slow, but strong. Sheeva is an exception, but generally female fighting characters tend to be weaker, but faster than their male counterparts. My first fighting game character to main was Pai Chan on Virtua Fighter 2, and again on VF3. She's the tiny, quick Chinese girl. If I play male characters, I prefer a Flash to a Solomon Grundy. Asking for female characters is more likely to get a Flash-type than a Solomon Gruny.

I also like the point about Circe and Zatanna adding magic, which gives more variety potential.

And this is one reason why I wanted Poison Ivy in particular:

I had this sheet/pillow case when I was young and Poison Ivy is an iconic Super-Villain to me. DC all the way. One of the handful of iconic female villains. That she is somehow "too much a Batman-only villain" doesn't work for me. Not only is she an iconic Super-Villain, she is an iconic DC character to me, hero or villain, male or female. I guess just not to everyone else, lol.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Lady fighters are awesome and if you want to play a girl it means your potential roster is only a handful of characters, which sucks. Can you blame people for wanting more choice of their preferred character design?

Also Hawkgirl is badass and everyone should vote for her to beat Green Arrow.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Because we live in a world full of males and females so it's only logical to have a decent amount of females in the game.

Also, boobs.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Maybe fighting games have traditionally had a small ratio of female to male playable characters. Of course, once upon a time the average gamer was 16 years old and 95% were male (or something like that, not sure on past statistics). Now about 40% of gamers are female. The average age of a gamer is mid-30s. With the average age of gamers going up, you have amongst the men more fathers and husbands, instead of just young dudes who might think it is 'lame to play a chick' or whatever. So, it wouldn't surprise me if you continue to see more and more requests for female characters in games.
I get your point but fighters on a casual level skew pretty heavily to the young, dumb and full of cum. Especially this one. Very, very, very young-male dominated. The competitive scene for it skews older and occasionally a female throws herself into whatever windowless, musky room the event is being held in but that's about it.

I know of one or two competitive female fighting game players (it's Kayane and that Japanese Blanka player, basically AFAIK... I've heard rumors that there's a fairly well known Guilty Gear player in Japan who's a girl but I've seen no pictures to confirm) and I've only known/seen maybe five on a casual level. And that's in like 12 years of playing fighters.

Just makes it a bit harder sometimes to appeal to the non-yahoos, especially when said yahoos tend to get pissed off at developers for doing things that appeal to said non-yahoos. Probably because they're yahoos.

And giving negative feedback to NRS is like telling a bulimic that they're a fatfatfatty; they're just going to puke on everything.

I 've always been drawn to the female fighter. From Sheeva to Mileena to Catwoman to Poison Ivy (and now Hawkgirl). It's cool to see a physical, strong woman defending herself. It oozes confidence and strength - now THAT'S sex appeal. The female fighter is an underrated and underrepresented bunch (especially in NRS titles, unfortunately) that I love highlighting and bringing to the forefront.

I 've always been drawn to the female fighter. From Sheeva to Mileena to Catwoman to Poison Ivy (and now Hawkgirl). It's cool to see a physical, strong woman defending herself. It oozes confidence and strength - now THAT'S sex appeal. The female fighter is an underrated and underrepresented bunch (especially in NRS titles, unfortunately) that I love highlighting and bringing to the forefront.
THIS. And as someone said, in fighters I'm also usually drawn to the more agile characters. Chun-Li in Street Fighter for one. Talim in SoulCalibur. Heck, I was glad for the inclusion of X-23 in MvC3 because she was a bit quicker than Wolverine.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
THIS. And as someone said, in fighters I'm also usually drawn to the more agile characters. Chun-Li in Street Fighter for one. Talim in SoulCalibur. Heck, I was glad for the inclusion of X-23 in MvC3 because she was a bit quicker than Wolverine.
i like more agile characters also and X-23 was one of like 3 of the new characters that i actually liked

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
I don't care if there are females or not, it's a game. they should give someone Skarlet's screams though lol. I love fighting people and shouting NEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LEGEND

YES!
MK9 is like the only game were i don't play female characters.

Girls that are tough, Sexy and intelligent all at the same time make the best characters. As long as they aren't over the top

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I dont mind people wanting more Females in, but only if they actually want specific females in not "Put some girl characters in for the sake of having girl characters"

Diversity just to have diversity is always forced and awkward. Its like those high school textbooks that say "Shenequa, Juan, and Ming are riding their bikes at 5 mph..." It ends up looking weird and people laugh at it. I dont want some female character that makes no sense to the story and is just generally a stupid character lol.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I dont mind people wanting more Females in, but only if they actually want specific females in not "Put some girl characters in for the sake of having girl characters"

Diversity just to have diversity is always forced and awkward. Its like those high school textbooks that say "Shenequa, Juan, and Ming are riding their bikes at 5 mph..." It ends up looking weird and people laugh at it. I dont want some female character that makes no sense to the story and is just generally a stupid character lol.
THANK YOU!! YOU ARE SO RIGHT OMGDK.H/GCVNSDFMH
ahem....i meant this is exactly the point i was trying to get across the entire time

Numbface

You. Are Not. Alone.
THANK YOU!! YOU ARE SO RIGHT OMGDK.H/GCVNSDFMH
ahem....i meant this is exactly the point i was trying to get across the entire time

But this universe is so great that it doesn't have to feel at all forced or awkward, like I hear people saying Animal Man or Swamp Thing would be so cool then 5 post later say Ivy and Vixen wouldn't fit the story.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
But this universe is so great that it doesn't have to feel at all forced or awkward, like I hear people saying Animal Man or Swamp Thing would be so cool then 5 post later say Ivy and Vixen wouldn't fit the story.
Ivy probably isnt in due to the sheer amount of batman characters already in.

Vixen I haver no idea but as long as they make her fit I have no problem.

Personally I don't see anything illegitimate about looking at a male-heavy roster and saying, "Hey, this is a major sausage-fest and you need to get some ladies, any ladies, in this joint pronto! No more Kielbasa, please."