What's new

Why Liu Kang Is Broken: A Breakdown

Why in a neutral heavy game do people belive fullscreen Fast tracking mid launchers make any sense? Why are we still defending it. If you were good with scorpian you still are was a great change by NRS
Im Sub Zero and Johnny Cage player. Tho i never ever have problem against Scorpion. You just to be patient against him, cause if you rush his teleport will haunt you.

Isnt d4 to slow to contest f4? I mean I understand the range but a single WD and kang's basically from fullscreen, also wont f4 beat b1? I understand in theory sub should win FS against kang but nah I dont buy it Amp ice ball in a necessity for his mix if he spams it contesting fire balls hes bascically everyone else without meter maybe worse.
d4 is used to prevent liu from moving forward and no f4 doesnt beat sub b1 cause sub b1 has disjointed hurtbox

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Im Sub Zero and Johnny Cage player. Tho i never ever have problem against Scorpion. You just to be patient against him, cause if you rush his teleport will haunt you.
Current defense against scorpian and jax are elder God rank for KL DG lvl tele was always broke not in a man this is overpower more a man this is dumb type of way.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Scorpion's teleport (and literally everything else in his movelist) is minus 2 million!
Amp tele is -14 which he can burn on blk or tele far away. Why are we debating the merits of a fast mid launching teleport WHYYYY lol. Also cant amp geyser on blk

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Great video. Thanks for compiling everything people have been saying.

I don't understand how people can say, "Stop bitching about Kang, he's fine." It's clear he's broken in the current meta. And don't give me the bullshit line "Well if they nerf him, some other character will just fill that void." LOOK AT HIM. He has weaknesses, yes, but his strengths are off the fucking charts. You barely have to tweak him to make him fair, and he'll still be really good. Make 12 zero on block, and adjust his fucking KB potential.

I can't fucking stand having the upper hand in a Kang match, playing my ass off, and then it's KB, KB, FB, I'm dead. I don't even attempt to tech his throws anymore. Fuck that shit.
Liu Kang doesn't have weaknesses though lol

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
d4 is used to prevent liu from moving forward and no f4 doesnt beat sub b1 cause sub b1 has disjointed hurtbox
Nah if kang WD a whiffed d4 hes in for either a punish or pressure. B1 being a high can be ND and at max range gets punished by f4 easily. Sub does not beat kang

Yeah he doesnt and he cant be compare to Jax.
Jax damage outisde of his KBs is low as hell, so you need to open your opponent like 10 time in order to take a round.
Liu touches you 3 time and you are dead, and with his tools thats not very hard.
Atleast Jax have some requirment for his KBs, unlike free land on will KB of Kang.
The only thing that Jax has equally good to Kang is the FB. Its maybe even a bit better, but Kang FB scale better.
Still Liu Kang totally destroys Jax in direct matchup.
Liu Kang doesnt need just 1 or 2 things to be tooned down. He needs a lot of his tools to be tooned down.
Firstly best pressure character in the game doesnt need zoning at all, yet he have best zoning. His low Fireball and his Fireball amplify just need straight delete. His Flying Dragon Kick needs to be adjusted. His throw KBs need to be deleted. His F4 needs to stay the same, just not being 9frame, but 13f. His 1,2 needs to be +1 on block, not 3.
His F4 and bicycle kick KBs are okay.
His FB needs to scale higher and reduce the block stun of his FB, so you can actually punish his FB, not just on paper but in the reality is well.
A lot of his move have very short window for punish, if you catch him on recovery, thats also needs to be change.
Also fix his damn hurtbox issue.
And maybe give him new string, and the character will be still in the mix strong.

Dante

Noob
Theres nothing wrong with advancing normals or even 9fram launchers. Dont let kang's f4 make you blind to the issue with it. If it didn't have the up3 gap it would be fine, could make f4 stagger unsafe. There are plenty of sensible changes you could do for the character. As far as FB only broken one is jax, everyone else is more of a nuisance than anything else. I think they just forgot about kabal honestly
My problem with FBs is that they shouldn't be 1button for all this insane strength they have (mostly fuck neutral full armor).
Aa for liu I suggest they make f43 not special cancellable. Instantly more honest as a char and still a tier

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I consider the following weaknesses, even thought they're incredibly minor:

Gap after F34
EX-lower fireball, Flying kick are easy to punish
12 is high high
Some characters can outzone him.

Not a lot to work with, but it's still weakness.
In any other FG these aren't considered weaknesses LOL

He also out zones most of the zoners. What?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Theres nothing wrong with advancing normals or even 9fram launchers. Dont let kang's f4 make you blind to the issue with it. If it didn't have the up3 gap it would be fine, could make f4 stagger unsafe. There are plenty of sensible changes you could do for the character. As far as FB only broken one is jax, everyone else is more of a nuisance than anything else. I think they just forgot about kabal honestly
I accept your opinion but I simply think otherwise.
I think the game would be much healthier without omnipotent mids and the like.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
In any other FG these aren't considered weaknesses LOL

He also out zones most of the zoners. What?
I really shouldnt count the zoning as a weakness...But as a Cage player, I abuse forceballs because it's a good way to whittle down his health before inevitably having to face him up close. If you get the advantage in the zoning war, he wont be able to take it back. He'll be forced to move in. I believe Sonya can do it too.

But again...Let's just not count it as a weakness overall.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
My problem with FBs is that they shouldn't be 1button for all this insane strength they have (mostly fuck neutral full armor).
Aa for liu I suggest they make f43 not special cancellable. Instantly more honest as a char and still a tier
100% agree with you, I like the clever change to makes it dial in.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
I accept your opinion but I simply think otherwise.
I think the game would be much healthier without omnipotent mids and the like.
They should have made the highs mids then no one would be be mad because everyone would have a great option.

xKMMx

Banned
Mid teleport made him broke? How?

Like, the character is the exact same.
Oh I agree Scorpion was never broken. I'm just saying LK isn't either.
Atleast you have taken the time to present a well researched and presented case.
He needs a tone down I believe I just don't think he fits the definition of broken.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
They should have made the highs mids then no one would be be mad because everyone would have a great option.
The other way around, friendo. Nobody would bat an eye at a 9f high that you can duck.
Mids should be checks that punish ducking with knockdown, lows should be movement control and all the powerful moves should be highs.

Neutral would be immediately more prominent.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Don't do that, man.
Tell him why he's wrong.
I'm legit interested I'm lost as to how I was misunderstood. You whiff D4 kang will be in your face. B1 is reactable and doesnt stagger well and can be ducked you cant throw it out whenever what does it check?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'm legit interested I'm lost as to how I was misunderstood. You whiff D4 kang will be in your face. B1 is reactable and doesnt stagger well and can be ducked you cant throw it out whenever what does it check?
Whose b1? Liu's?
But yeah you whiff a d4 and you are eating a F4 advance and you can't do shit, that move really is OD and it fucking crushes.