What's new

Why Liu Kang Is Broken: A Breakdown

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Literally this move has cost me close matches that I did everything right in and then been hit by this last minute.
It has no business hitting me at 75% of the screen when my projectile is practically launched but somehow it still hits first.

Skryba

Noob
Scorpion is not the same. I can now react with ducking to his teleport, or move without blocking. He's definitely not the same, but surely not trash. He's right where he needs to be.
He's the same at a decently enough high level. A good scorpion won't ever through out random TP's that you can duck just like before he wouldn't ever throw out random TP's that you could block and punish.

He'll be whiff punishing you or countering your zoning on reaction, or at the very least going for a hard read on some neutral habit of yours that he's caught up on (in which case, it either works and it doesn't matter if the move is high or not 'cause you won't be blocking or ducking, or it doesn't work and then you'll get as full punish now as you would before, except now you may simply interrupt with a D3 because you may expect a TP cancel and be conditioned by that).

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
He's the same at a decently enough high level. A good scorpion won't ever through out random TP's that you can duck just like before he wouldn't ever throw out random TP's that you could block and punish.

He'll be whiff punishing you or countering your zoning on reaction, or at the very least going for a hard read on some neutral habit of yours that he's caught up on (in which case, it either works and it doesn't matter if the move is high or not 'cause you won't be blocking or ducking, or it doesn't work and then you'll get as full punish now as you would before, except now you may simply interrupt with a D3 because you may expect a TP cancel and be conditioned by that).
Not really. You couldn't neutral duck or down poke in neutral, you had to always be blocking. That's a big deal to have to be pressing and releasing one aditional button. The same with jump-ins.

kcd117

Noob
JC va Kang feels 5-5 BUT the fact that you have to make this stupid character whiff half of his strings on block to even the odds in a matchup says a lot about how unbalanced Liu is. Even when he barely works, his potato stuff is so dominant that he still feels better than 95% of the cast.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I still think Reborn sucks shrug
Just curious, why do you think reborn sucks? It adds a ton of pretty easy hit confirms that make a lot of his good normals safe. I feel it outclasses sr in a lot of match ups.

It may be an unpopular opinion but I think scorpion is a lot harder to play online than off. It's harder to react and hit confirm in general. I think the netplay does affect him if hes not playing in the old wild playstyle that a lot of bad players took advantage of with the mid teleport in lag.

Last edited:
Scorpion did not sucks, but its not top 10 for sure. His string are damn slow. Nothing special to open the opponents.
He has good moves, and i think its balanced, but there is a lot stronger characters, thats need to be tooned down and he will get better with that.

I also dont like some of the OP content and stuff he do, for example his challenge to Sikander and he rage quit after 7-3 to Sikander, but this thread has nothing to do with this.
His video is great and explain very well why Kang is broken. I also agree with him with his statement over Scorpion pre-patch.
So good work for that Volk.

Skryba

Noob
Not really. You couldn't neutral duck or down poke in neutral, you had to always be blocking. That's a big deal to have to be pressing and releasing one aditional button. The same with jump-ins.
Neutral ducking is "pressing and releasing one additional button", and down poking is pressing and releasing two additional buttons.

The main difference here is that against players who will actually throw out random TP's, who before made you have to constantly worry about blocking in the neutral, now you have the added option of simply down poking to stop both TP and TP cancel, but this also means that instead of blocking and getting a full 20-30% punish you'll get a down poke into pressure/jailing, which is much less effective overall and has much less effect in actually showing those players that they can't throw out random TP's otherwise they'll lose pretty fast.

Anyway, I will give you the jump ins, in MU's for characters who actually have good crouching buttons to AA, TP is no longer viable as a way to try and work around that.

Still, IMO, all of those TP options that got nerfed are real hail marys that I don't think have any place in high level play except as a hard read after conditioning your opponent, in which case, again, high or mid TP will have the exact same effect. I see this as a non-issue, more of a quality of life change for online play than something to ever consider when making a tier list (which should, always, be based on high level play).

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Trainolino? Long overdue.
I dropped the game until they fix anti airs and throws... meaning I basically dropped the game period.

I'm getting back to SoulCalibur shortly, since I was just waiting to be done with exams and I've given my last one yesterday.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I dropped the game until they fix anti airs and throws... meaning I basically dropped the game period.

I'm getting back to SoulCalibur shortly, since I was just waiting to be done with exams and I've given my last one yesterday.
I'm pissed at that game too tbh. Might just pick up a top tier and actually have fun for a change.

xKMMx

Banned
I gotta be honest I don't understand why people get so up in arms about this kind of shit. I use Nightwolf and if play extremely patiently and smart and watch my opponent I have really good matches against LK. I have yet to feel completely helpless like people on her seem to.