What's new

Why isn't cartwheel punishable on block?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Becouse it would have been retarded if 5 out of 5 of her specials would have been punishable with full combo on block. Or wouldn't it? Pfff........
LOL. Dude. All her specials are good. I've played Sonya for maybe 30 matches online for just the hell of it since I get bored and learn characters. Sonya can zone really well with her rings (dat recovery, why the hell does she have better recovery than Noob? lol) and arc kick (your opponent jumps, hit 'em with the arc kick), she controls the air with her air throw/dive kick, she's dominating on the ground with her pressure and MS cancels and her EX cartwheel is ridiculously good in terms of comeback potential. I personally feel her dive kick on the ground is a little overrated, but it's still a good tool.

And to the people still debating that you lose your pressure with canceling your strings with cartwheel, it builds a shitload of meter on block, and as we all know Sonya is ridiculous with meter.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
People here whining about Sonya's Cartwheel, you can blow it up with NJP combo or cross over to make it whiff.

If you block Sonya's Cartwheel, you can D1 her first - same applies to her Ex armored Cartwheel.
Two things: If you're looking for a cartwheel and go for an njp, you just opened yourself up to a free AA combo. If you try to d1 sonya's cartwheel, she can ex cartwheel right after and blow you up.

People who say that you can punish with NJP is fucking retarded. Yeah sure you can punish it with that, but have you ever consider the fact that she can blow up your NJP+reset just for checking the armor kartwheel? The risk is greater than the reward by far...
Obviously people who say this have no idea about fighting games

OmyMk

Noob
LOL. Dude. All her specials are good. I've played Sonya for maybe 30 matches online for just the hell of it since I get bored and learn characters. Sonya can zone really well with her rings (dat recovery, why the hell does she have better recovery than Noob? lol) and arc kick (your opponent jumps, hit 'em with the arc kick), she controls the air with her air throw/dive kick, she's dominating on the ground with her pressure and MS cancels and her EX cartwheel is ridiculously good in terms of comeback potential. I personally feel her dive kick on the ground is a little overrated, but it's still a good tool.

And to the people still debating that you lose your pressure with canceling your strings with cartwheel, it builds a shitload of meter on block, and as we all know Sonya is ridiculous with meter.
Ow snap, 30 matches?! Who the heck uses arc kick? Noobs fireballs score knockdownz and are 50-50s...Online? Seriously? Bah.. forget it....

Espio

Kokomo
Sonya can zone really well with her rings (dat recovery, why the hell does she have better recovery than Noob? lol)
Because Noob Saibot's projectile is the size of a human, knocks the opponent down and hits overhead, Sonya's projectile can be easily jumped over, ducked or traded with by other projectiles without knocking the opponent down.

Could you imagine Noob's shadow tackle being like Sonya's rings in recovery plus its current overhead, pushback, size, and knockdown properties?

Noob's recovery is fine for the size of the projectile, he recovers quicker than Scorpion throwing his spear.

Sonya's projectile is good, no question, don't get me wrong.

She can zone well with her ring, yes. But only extreme rushdown chars without decent projectiles. Noob still outzones her (his shadow knocs down, she doesn't recover fast enough to trade with it) and she is outzoned by any slightly zoning oriented char. Her rings should be abused against zoners only if you have the life lead, as I said.

Her arc kick is good only if your opponent jumps stupidly, because it's extremely slow. She isn't dominating in the ground, she is dominating up close in the ground. And armor fucks her up, just like it does to Cage. Her EX Cartwheel is her counter zoning tool, everyone that plays rushdown has one, the difference is that most of the other chars' are full screen. Hers is not, so you get a combo. Makes sense to me.

Sonya is a good char, guys, but it's not like any day 1 scrub can pick her up and beat everyone. If you're losing to a day 1 Sonya that uses random cartwheels, maybe you are the problem.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Because Noob Saibot's projectile is the size of a human, knocks the opponent down and hits overhead, Sonya's projectile can be easily jumped over, ducked or traded with by other projectiles without knocking the opponent down.

Could you imagine Noob's shadow tackle being like Sonya's rings in recovery plus its current overhead, pushback, size, and knockdown properties?

Noob's recovery is fine for the size of the projectile, he recovers quicker than Scorpion throwing his spear.

Sonya's projectile is good, no question, don't get me wrong.
Trade with Sonya's fireball? That has nothing to do with reaction time or reading your opponent. If you trade with her, you got lucky. And yes, Noob's projectiles are great and much better. But they need to be, Sonya's fireball is just excess charecter bullshit.

And Scorpions spear is probably the most punishable thing in the game.

Im not disagreeing with you, just adding my input.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Sonya can zone really well with her rings (dat recovery, why the hell does she have better recovery than Noob? lol)
Wtf? Noob is another mess.
11f OVERHEAD human-size projectile = pushback on block.
14f low human-size slide = totally punishable on block.

Let's not forget he's got a 16f antiair that lowers his hitbox, hits mid, gives pushback on block (and is +4, LOL), and has one fast-ass LOLWTF recovery on whiff.

Explain that to me.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Actually, even online you can't use dive kick randomly. If you are blocked too high, basically anyone can punish it.
Sonya players who use her Dive Kick placed at the highest angle that's easy to punish on reaction but her instant low Dive Kick that hits their knees on block players get away with it online, it's like Reptile's Dash.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Every character in the game has an armored move or a teleport to get past things like, Sub's ice clones, Noob shadows, Kenshi wall of psychic stuff, Cage f33 random advantage pressure. If she didn't have it, what would be her answer to those? I'd honestly like to know because then I could stop wasting meter to get in.

Espio

Kokomo
You can trade with her projectile without being knocked down is all I said and that's true. I wasn't arguing reaction times or reading your opponent in relation to her rings and didn't mention them in my post at any point.

My point is that the assertion that Noob's projectile should have better recovery than Sonya's rings is not sound, I'm not complaining or arguing against Noob's projectiles in their current form, they're fine at present. They do not need a buff in recovery is all I'm saying.

I mentioned Scorpion's spear to accent my point about Noob, but this thread isn't about Noob, so I'll be quiet:).

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Two things: If you're looking for a cartwheel and go for an njp, you just opened yourself up to a free AA combo. If you try to d1 sonya's cartwheel, she can ex cartwheel right after and blow you up.
You are not playing it right. When Sonya does her Cartwheel and you blocked it, you can D1 her first before she can D1 you back. Also, you need to watch Sonya's meter because she can Ex Cartwheel through your D1 mashing. Fishing for Sonya's Cartwheel depends on your spacing especially on wake up, you can cross over so it will whiff OR you can step right outside sweep distance and NJP combo punish her Cartwheel. Players especially here are making Sonya's Ex Cartwheel so overrated crying out for a nerf or remove armor, it's ridiculous. Online Sonya is a nightmare, I will admit that. Those things that Death was trying in those tournaments on stream got Sonya's Cartwheel blown up, it's not good as people think. Good players know when to use Ex Cartwheel effectively, online scrubby players abuse Ex Cartwheel like no tomorrow.

Don't you play Kitana? She can perfectly fish for Sonya's Cartwheel up close and zoning. Kitana can even punish Sonya's Dive Kick (all angles) with 2,1,Ex Fan/Fan Lift even online but you need quick reactions.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
People who say that you can punish with NJP is fucking retarded. Yeah sure you can punish it with that, but have you ever consider the fact that she can blow up your NJP+reset just for checking the armor kartwheel? The risk is greater than the reward by far...
Obviously people who say this have no idea about fighting games
Obviously you don't know how to punish Sonya's Cartwheel.

Obviously you don't know how to punish Sonya's Cartwheel.
I know you can punish it, but the risk is greater than the reward by far. I explained this already. Learn to read. Plus who the fuck cares about her wake up, that doesnt mean shit. The fact that she can get out of pressure for free, with a chance to blow up that NJP, get a 20+ dammage+reset, and safe on block.

People on forum lol, its all talks.