What's new

Why is there so much QoL missing?

molambo

(X ౪ X )
I find SF6 to be a much better product through and through, it covers all the points I'm looking for and with much better gameplay
Different tastes lead to people play different things. Have fun with it when you enjoy it.

Reactions: Kal

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
One of the main things I am missing is the opening dialogue for each match if you are playing against the AI.

I do not play online at this stage at all and unsure how much I will in the future. I wish you could toggle this on and off when doing invasions (probably would not work with towers). the game loses a little bit of its personality because of this.

kevkopdx

Noob
Maybe it’s just me but the thing that bugs me the most is the UI, especially when in versus online mode. In MK11, everything was clearly visible and selectable on one screen. Now you have to leaf through a few barebones menus, I can’t see my kombat league stats unless I’m in the top 100(whatever stats show up next to my name are not mine so maybe it’s bugged), you can’t access your kombat kard menu to look at your stats, replays etc unless you exit online… and even that menu is a mess… it’s confusing, ugly and a major step backwards.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ah, so it begins. The battle between people who look at MK1 as a product they paid 70+ for, and the people who will shove their heads up the ass of NRS by any means necessary if it means defending them.
MK super fans are almost as pathetic as Star Wars super fans. People will soyjack out over the most surface level fan service but “erm actually” you when you point out basic shit like tagging a string is gone, krypt which has been in every game for more than 10 years is gone, invasions are dog shit, the DLC practices are extremely predatory. I had people defending the price of the Kombat packs in MK11 like 40 dollars for 6 characters and shitty skins is fair by saying stuff like “I got it on sale / it’s the only game I play, I’m ok with it.” It’s ok to like the game without accepting every aspect of it, it’s a question of value.

The fact is, this is their most expensive release yet that does the least to justify its cost.

MK super fans are almost as pathetic as Star Wars super fans. People will soyjack out over the most surface level fan service but “erm actually” you when you point out basic shit like tagging a string is gone, krypt which has been in every game for more than 10 years is gone, invasions are dog shit, the DLC practices are extremely predatory. I had people defending the price of the Kombat packs in MK11 like 40 dollars for 6 characters and shitty skins is fair by saying stuff like “I got it on sale / it’s the only game I play, I’m ok with it.” It’s ok to like the game without accepting every aspect of it, it’s a question of value.

The fact is, this is their most expensive release yet that does the least to justify its cost.
The cost of Kombat Packs, and games in general, is really high. There's a reason I buy so few games at launch.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The cost of Kombat Packs, and games in general, is really high. There's a reason I buy so few games at launch.
Same, there are games iv wanted but haven’t bought. I’m sure in a year or two, the Dead Space Remake will be on game pass, so I’ll wait for that. This year I bought Resident Evil 4 Remake and have put 110 hours into it, and it was also only 60 bucks compared to 70, then bought the DLC which is only 10 bucks. Will be tons of replay value for that just like the main game and those who buy the Gold edition which is sure to come with everything are in for a great time. My wife preordered MK1 premium for me as an early birthday gift, which I’m glad I have it because I wouldn’t have paid $110 for this game, but she knew I wanted it and am stubborn. It is such a fun game that I’m sure I’ll spend a lot of time in, but $110 for a game, where once again $40 of it accounts for a handful of characters is disgusting.

Same, there are games iv wanted but haven’t bought. I’m sure in a year or two, the Dead Space Remake will be on game pass, so I’ll wait for that. This year I bought Resident Evil 4 Remake and have put 110 hours into it, and it was also only 60 bucks compared to 70, then bought the DLC which is only 10 bucks. Will be tons of replay value for that just like the main game and those who buy the Gold edition which is sure to come with everything are in for a great time. My wife preordered MK1 premium for me as an early birthday gift, which I’m glad I have it because I wouldn’t have paid $110 for this game, but she knew I wanted it and am stubborn. It is such a fun game that I’m sure I’ll spend a lot of time in, but $110 for a game, where once again $40 of it accounts for a handful of characters is disgusting.
Yup. I'm interested in Diablo IV, but waiting for a massive price drop plus a complete edition of sorts. Diablo II: Resurrected will suit me just fine until then.

Mortal Kombat (and Halo) are the only franchises I buy for day 1, so I did pay the insane Premium Edition cost. Those franchises have always been fantastic for me so I'm loyal. Should the games heavily disappoint me , or if life changes where I have far less time for gaming, I'd likely hold off.

Art Lean

Noob
Just to be devil's advocate for a moment, I would like to say that games today are actually cheaper than they were in the mid 90s, even with the cost of Premium Editions etc. factored in.

MKs 1, 2, 3 and UMK3 on SNES all readily cost £50.00 on cartridge, and there was no DLC or patch to upgrade from MK3 to UMK3, it was another full price game for just a few bits more (and in fact, a few bits taken out for the SNES). Adjusted for inflation, those games cost approx. £100.00 each by today's prices.

I just ran the price I paid for MK1 Premium Edition (£65) into a reverse inflation calculator, that was approx. £32.00 back in 1994, which was a BARGAIN back in the SNES days.

I'm not defending the price of games at all, or justifying what's good value for a shelf-product's day one content, just pointing out that we used to actually pay more for a lot, lot less in the old days.

Just to be devil's advocate for a moment, I would like to say that games today are actually cheaper than they were in the mid 90s, even with the cost of Premium Editions etc. factored in.

MKs 1, 2, 3 and UMK3 on SNES all readily cost £50.00 on cartridge, and there was no DLC or patch to upgrade from MK3 to UMK3, it was another full price game for just a few bits more (and in fact, a few bits taken out for the SNES). Adjusted for inflation, those games cost approx. £100.00 each by today's prices.

I just ran the price I paid for MK1 Premium Edition (£65) into a reverse inflation calculator, that was approx. £32.00 back in 1994, which was a BARGAIN back in the SNES days.

I'm not defending the price of games at all, or justifying what's good value for a shelf-product's day one content, just pointing out that we used to actually pay more for a lot, lot less in the old days.
Yup, that I'm aware of.

One to one comparisons like that though don't take into account the perception of the value of the dollar for content though.

Skybox

Noob
It drives me nuts honestly. I like the game but there is so much QoL missing it´s bothering to no end.

Why can´t we pin strings in trainingmode anymore?
Why is there no overview of all the cosmetics? Like, do chars have 3 outfits? 4? 10 pallets or 20?
Why does the shrine feel like it takes ages after you put in coins to get your stuff and be able to put more coins in? If you have 15K Koins you gonna sit there for like 10min.....
Why does the premium shop say "refresh in 24h" but it never refreshes? Same items for couple days
No Invasion Map.........good luck finding chests you didn´t open the first time you found them and good luck finding those gates you need Scorpions item for. Takes forever for no reason. And we don´t even want to talk about the constant hyperarmor every enemy has.
Why is there no good description for the moves in the moveslist. Like for the Kameos which move is an ambush for example (or am I blind and I just don´t see it?)
And one of the biggest ones for me, Why the f.... do we not earn XP when we play private matches against our friends???? If we want to "boost" we can just repeat the same stupid invasion mission over and over.....
Online Training mode still missing......why NRS.....just why....

It feels like the game was rushed in the end to be able to get released
Also, many characters special moves seem to not be correct in the move lists

Enhanced scorpion moves for example, don't show Amy differences to their original

NoCharge

Noob

If you adjust to inflation, it's actually cheaper than aother releases. But doesn't mean they shouldn't deliver.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
The lack of XP in private matches annoys the fuck out of me. I understand it's to stop boosting but if someone wants to boost.....WHO CARES?? It doesnt impact anybody else. In fact, if someone boosts their character to level 70, then gets matched with an actual lvl 70 player, they'll get wrecked.
If their main focus is just to get all the gear and they payed 100$ for the game, LET THEM BOOST.

Also games are much more expensive to make now, even in absolute terms.

Art Lean

Noob
The lack of XP in private matches annoys the fuck out of me. I understand it's to stop boosting but if someone wants to boost.....WHO CARES?? It doesnt impact anybody else. In fact, if someone boosts their character to level 70, then gets matched with an actual lvl 70 player, they'll get wrecked.
If their main focus is just to get all the gear and they payed 100$ for the game, LET THEM BOOST.
I don't even play online and agree that's totally unfair. I've just been milking easy fights in Invasions for leveled-up cosmetics and I'm level 80... and I suuuuuck.

So why is it fine for me to do that, but not actual real players who are more likely to be actually playing properly?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I don't even play online and agree that's totally unfair. I've just been milking easy fights in Invasions for leveled-up cosmetics and I'm level 80... and I suuuuuck.

So why is it fine for me to do that, but not actual real players who are more likely to be actually playing properly?
Makes no fuckin sense. Like I play mainly against friends so Im essentially just getting stuck at the same level with nothing to show for in terms of gear. Thanks NRS. Really stopping the massive Boosting problem that has plagued MK games in one of your timelines NRS

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I agree with the inflation argument but even with $110, you’re not getting the full game, there’s still crap you have to buy if you want all the content, not to mention Kombat Pack 2 eventually. I’m not comparing it to games from the 90s but the $10 price hike for the new console generation on some games. Like I said RE4 was 60 bucks, not every developer chooses to charge 70.

And I could care less that games cost more, the effort to peruse photo realism isn’t worth it if thats’s what it takes. The year 2007 had maybe a dozen games that were huge releases, and high quality AAA games. I’d rather them make games within their means and the blame not be shifted to consumers for being “ungrateful” or whatever. A MK1 that isn’t as close to photorealism but still has a unique and appealing look like KI 2013 or something, but had more substantive content. The animations wouldn’t look so jank either seeing realistic models but having them slap together like action figures.

I agree with the inflation argument but even with $110, you’re not getting the full game, there’s still crap you have to buy if you want all the content, not to mention Kombat Pack 2 eventually. I’m not comparing it to games from the 90s but the $10 price hike for the new console generation on some games. Like I said RE4 was 60 bucks, not every developer chooses to charge 70.

And I could care less that games cost more, the effort to peruse photo realism isn’t worth it if thats’s what it takes. The year 2007 had maybe a dozen games that were huge releases, and high quality AAA games. I’d rather them make games within their means and the blame not be shifted to consumers for being “ungrateful” or whatever. A MK1 that isn’t as close to photorealism but still has a unique and appealing look like KI 2013 or something, but had more substantive content. The animations wouldn’t look so jank either seeing realistic models but having them slap together like action figures.
I don't mind photo-realism myself, but I find the cost of game's graphics today not always worth the performance trade off. I mean cost in terms of performance value, not $ value.

For example, on console, I personally have yet to find ray tracing to be worth the overall expense. On PC, different story, but for console hardware, I find it's better when developers stick to "baked" light and more conventional solutions.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

The reverse of this is that the cost of living nowdays, adjusted for inflation, is much higher. So although the game might technically be worth less, people are spending far more of what they make on rent/housing, tuition, food, utilities, insurance, child care if you have it, and basically everything else. So it actually costs you more proportionally.

cfw

Toys can't save you!
Out of all the issues that everybody has………. My one and only major gripe about all of it is the text is too small and thin to read in the game. :oops:

TRi4L N 3ЯЯ0R

The world doesn't adjust to you.
Another annoying issue that may have been mentioned is the lack of going back to the replay menu of your opponents Kombat card after you finish watching a replay. Instead of taking you back to the Kombat card so you can watch the next game's replay after watching the first one replay, it boots you all the way to the main menu to go load into the multiplayer menu and then leaderboard and then finding the guy again just so it boots you all the way back after finishing the next replay.

What kind of shortsightedness is this, I like to watch pro players on the leaderboards fluidly one replay after the next and see what I can learn from them, especially if they're using a character I main. And the replay feature sucks when it keeps booting you. A rewind feature would be nice too. Even watching your own replays is a hassle because you have to quit to the main menu to do it.

Last edited:

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

STOP MAKING SENSE.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
The reverse of this is that the cost of living nowdays, adjusted for inflation, is much higher. So although the game might technically be worth less, people are spending far more of what they make on rent/housing, tuition, food, utilities, insurance, child care if you have it, and basically everything else. So it actually costs you more proportionally.
Comparing luxury to necessity?
Go off.

Some things I'd love to see them add to extend the QoL:

1. Pinning kombos
  2. Better variation of fights in Invasions with less super armour bollocks
  3. Add a fight you can repeat in Invasions that throws in the random mashup characters from the last chapter of story mode for fun
  4. More -alities
  5. Allow you to pay in bulk at the shrine
  6. Preview of unlockable skins for characters on the customisation section with a ??? to get you hype for what's coming/what to unlock
  7. Instead of character mastery unlocking as it goes up, allow us to spend the XP on specific unlocks but make the higher level stuff cost more XP so you can pick what you want to get
  8. Map in Invasions showing which tiles are green or red and a percentage completion
  9. A storage chest system for items gained from Invasions
  10. Allow use of consumable items from Invasions when you go over the limit instead of having to discard them