What's new

Why do Fatalities Anger You?

Angry?... LoA! More like BORE.

They should relegate Fatalities to story mode only in the next MK game, and rework the finishing mechanic so that it incorporates any of a given character's attacks (at least their special attacks and throws, if not normals), by using the final attack to land as the finishing attack. That way, each character could have many unique finishers based on the their won move-set, without the need for a specific finisher system -- in much the same way as Brutalities, but, without the need to waste development time in scraping the ideas barrel dry for canned finishers.

This method would:
  • Diversify finishers far beyond what the canned finishing systems ever could
  • Remove the problem of time consumption -- something Fatalities suffer gravely from
  • Go a ways to fixing that Age-old MK oddity of chars. re-standing for finishers -- they could either stay knocked down or be killed outright (if a finisher prerequisite has been fulfilled)
  • Expand on the laudable Brutality system in a natural way, and without requiring the shark to be jumped as much as may otherwise be required--after seven Brutality finishers x25 (x31 / x37) would have been exhausted by the time MK11 is complete
  • Let the story-mode-locked Fatalities to shine in their own, unique way, and without the constraints of "competitive" and online environs impinging on creative vision (re. duration / time consumption)... and it would relegate "EX Fatalities" to the purely casual realm of versus-CPU fights (where they could micro-transaction fleece said embarrassing option to kingdom come, and no one would care)
  • Allow development time saved (by having the in-game combat handle finishers) could be used to make more and better STAGE FATALITIES -- a kind of canned finisher that most players actually like and want expanded on.
I see this is as the future of MK kill move finishers ("Mercy" etc. can stay as is). Persisting with the defunct Fatalities and / or resting on the laurels of a Brutality system well that will surely run dry of creativity after MK11's expansive effort, is a course charted for certain failure.

The only thing that really gets me is the t bagging especially if I just won 3 times in a row and didn't fatality with hopes to continue the set, but usually I treat others the same way they treat me till they quit. It gets tiresome watching them and I rarely do it. Or if they jump on Mic and cuse me out. I miss babailites in a koth when peeps give me zeros

Not a fan because it wastes too much time. If it’s the end of the set, or you gotta go etc then yeah I feel like it’s the finishing touch. But every time? Nah man I wanna play not sit down and watch you do the same fatality over and over again. It especially tilts me since I just knock people over quick when I win so if someone does a fatality on me im def doing it back. Don’t understand you saying you have no time to think in ranked so you don’t mind fatalities. You could literally wait a few seconds, go to character select and wait some more before reselecting your character. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I was grinding the 50 kasual trophy, so I got connected to this person and won the first match. I went and just hit them out of the finish him without a fatal, then watched in fear to see if they quit, as apparently nobody can stand a loss even in kasual and they just quit to find someone worse than them.

So this guy didn't quit and I was like, yey I can finally have a long set to grind those 50 matches. So then we proceed and have a nice match, obviously I drop some combos and miss a fatal blow cancel and I lose.

TEABAG -> FATALITY -> QUIT

Apparently the poor guy was hurt he lost the first match. In Kasual. And he also quit after winning once. In kasual.

The conclusion is, if you win, FATAL AND TEABAG EVERY SINGLE TIME. There is a 99.9% chance that the guy will do that to you if they win so you should just get a head start and make them quit directly. Problem solved.

Afumba

Noob
They dont bother me at all. Cant understand why people get salty if they get fatality-ed.

I understand the "waste of time" argument but compared to outros we are talking about a seconds here...

Ayx

Omnipresent
At least when playing Ranked or offline, if they decide to Fatality or tbag me especially after 1 round I'm well aware that they're both trying to waste my time and anger me so I end up doing the opposite. I simply wait the maximum amount of time (In ranked for example I let the clock run out, maybe go to the char select screen and run it out too if I'm feeling extra annoying.) and you can tell pretty quick that when they think they're in your head, stalling can blow off their momentum and allow the cool down you need to keep it back on a mental playing field.

I never fatality if they don't do it to me. I think brutalities are short and cool enough for neither party to consider it disrespectful.

honestly I have a problem where I assume the person on the other end is an obnoxious imp that I would shove into a locker if I had the chance. but generally, I don't mind fatalities unless you do them after every match (absolute snoozefest) but even then I could see why people want the hearts. brutalities are always hype though!

Sazbak

Noob
At least when playing Ranked or offline, if they decide to Fatality or tbag me especially after 1 round I'm well aware that they're both trying to waste my time and anger me so I end up doing the opposite. I simply wait the maximum amount of time (In ranked for example I let the clock run out, maybe go to the char select screen and run it out too if I'm feeling extra annoying.) and you can tell pretty quick that when they think they're in your head, stalling can blow off their momentum and allow the cool down you need to keep it back on a mental playing field.

I never fatality if they don't do it to me. I think brutalities are short and cool enough for neither party to consider it disrespectful.
Wow I never thought of doing this as a payback lol.
Nice idea.
-------
Fatalities do make me annoyed in ranked and definitely teabag that fucker if I win at the end(or some other form of disrespect).
You could spend the accumulated time of playing a tons of fatality much more wisely e.g. playing an other game or labbing.
Sure fats incease my 'rage meter' but so what? It's ranked and not a tournament.

I don't care if people do a fatality. If I lost then you can do whatever you want. I use the time I am being brutally murdered to reflect on why I lost.

Last edited:
They're a boring waste of time, but I fatal a bunch just to get those krypt heads. Most others do as well.

I would rather the series drop this mechanic. We already have a ton of brutalities that were actually fatalities in previous games so I call bullshit that this is necessary for an MK game

Sazbak

Noob
They're a boring waste of time, but I fatal a bunch just to get those krypt heads. Most others do as well.

I would rather the series drop this mechanic. We already have a ton of brutalities that were actually fatalities in previous games so I call bullshit that this is necessary for an MK game
Especially since the reason MK was banned in Japan was the gore and while there are still FBs and KBs in the game, the Fatalities are easily the most goresome.
Maybe NRS could expand their market if they got rid of Fatalities. They're such useless mechanic, you get bored of them after 2 weeks anyway.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I’ve been playing MK games competitively for 12+ years now. Mainly UMK3, played MK9 and MKX competitively for a little bit, never really got deep into them though. Anyway, even in UMK3, doing a Fatality was seen as disrespectful and made people so mad. And most Fatalities back in the older games took way less time than they do now.

I’ve noticed that people get extremely angry these days if you do one. Of course I understand the “waste of time” angle, but is that really the only reason it makes players so mad? Maybe it’s seen as a form of bragging that you won?

I remember back in the day playing against @REO. While we were running sets, he would do a Fatality literally every time he won. I wasn’t salty, but I did ask him at the time why he did one after every match. He simply said “to increase your rage meter”.

So that kinda stuck with me because it was a little irritating and I didn’t know why. So I started doing them fairly often. Now I do not mind if my opponent does one every match. I just use it as time to think about my loss and what I did wrong and what I should do in the next match. And in ranked, I do it every time I win. For similar reasons, but in ranked if you win you don’t get the option to sit for 30 seconds before you press rematch. You also don’t get the option to go back to character select. So literally the only way you get extra time to relax is if you do a Fatality.

But boy, do people get furious if you do a Fatality. They will start teabagging, send hatemail, etc. So it seems REO was absolutely right and it’s still true today. Fatalities increases your opponents rage meter.

So, how do y’all feel about Fatalities? Do you hate when someone does them even once? Do you only hate it if they do it every time they win? Do you ever do them? Do you only do them if your opponent does? Does it make you really salty or do you not mind?

Just really curious.
This is MK. Not Tekken, not SF, not even Injustice. I believe the forceful violation or reimagining of bodily integrity should be actively encouraged and appreciated. I love fatalities and brutalities.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
For me, it's very much the factor of wasted time in addition to feeling like the opponent is trying to style on me after one match when we still have potentially 4 others left in the set.

That being said, I don't mind at all if someone ends a set with them. I think it's a good way to put a cap on your experience with an opponent and bask in an earned, true victory.

I don't ever get bothered by Brutalities though.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
At the same time, I understand using Fatalities from a competitive view as mind games or to give you and your opponent time to think without returning to character select.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I definitely don't get angry over Fatalities, but I am super sick of seeing every single one of them. Having said that, I absolutely love Brutalities. I much preferred how they worked in MKX, though. I loved doing those long combos and then ending with a Brutality. The FINISH HIM screen coming up while the opponent is still being combo'd is so incredibly annoying in MK11. Really don't like that.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I have no problem when my opponent Fatals me. If I’m playing sets with someone, I will not do them. Maybe once in awhile. But idc if my opponent does them, if we are running sets or otherwise. I don’t view it as a waste of time because I think about the match and what I need to keep doing or do differently. I USED to view it like a lot of you. Now that I take time to analyze the match in my head, it’s now productive and I don’t mind if they Fatal me.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think people who take losses hard feels it's like sprinkling salt in the wound. I don't do them because I've seen Cassie's 100x already and I'm tired of it, but after a good set in 1V1 casuals, I'll do it. If I'm playing against my friends at home I'll do it cause seeing people who don't usually play MK games react to them is funny.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Fatalities never bothered me......teabagging tho……..that´s a whole different story
Had a guy teabagging during game when he was up 2-1 in ranked. I was first thinking he was buffering down down cause he was playing shao kahn. But he was actually teabagging to make a point i guess. Guess what happened after when i still beat him. Ya quitality.

I definitely don't get angry over Fatalities, but I am super sick of seeing every single one of them. Having said that, I absolutely love Brutalities. I much preferred how they worked in MKX, though. I loved doing those long combos and then ending with a Brutality. The FINISH HIM screen coming up while the opponent is still being combo'd is so incredibly annoying in MK11. Really don't like that.
I just don't like them. Sure they're funny once or twice, but i'd rather play the game, even if i'm getting my arse kicked.

People can brutality me all they want, and i'll do the same every chance i get. you still get the ender, just not as long and obnoxious as what fatalities have become. And frankly many of them are just plain stupid.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I just find the attitude behind the person doing the fatality to be obnoxious. I'm just trying to have fun, enjoy the game, and get better. Why would I want to keep playing with someone who's going out of their way just to be extra obnoxious? Especially if it's someone I don't even know. That's why I don't care for fatalities. Maybe there's some strategy in trying to add to someone's "rage meter" and push them off of their game but most of the time it just seems like a way for people to try and be assholes.